• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:55 am

QUOTE(jht @ Thu 19th Apr 2007, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so why has no one mentioned this before............ hm.gif
why not then, huh??!!?? whatcha.gif

that was kinda my thoughts too unsure.gif

is the mk2a fuel pump same as the R6 one?

it could be just because of availability....there are a lot more trashed R1/6s than there are mk2a TDMs rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#22 Beedenb

Beedenb

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:00 pm

Hi
My TDM is a MK1 ( P reg ) 1997 with the vaccum pump I'm in the middle of fitting a 1998 R1 electrical pump and so far so good, the wiring and relay wiring instructions on this form have been great, "THE PUMP LIVES" tonight it's just a bit of piping to do I'll let you know how I got on

Beedenb

#23 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:06 pm

QUOTE(Beedenb @ Thu 19th Apr 2007, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
My TDM is a MK1 ( P reg ) 1997 with the vaccum pump I'm in the middle of fitting a 1998 R1 electrical pump and so far so good, the wiring and relay wiring instructions on this form have been great, "THE PUMP LIVES" tonight it's just a bit of piping to do I'll let you know how I got on

Beedenb

P reg would be mk2 (or a very late registered mk1)
see if you can pick it from this list?
http://www.carpe-tdm...t...eq=sc&cat=8

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#24 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:22 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 19th Apr 2007, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P reg would be mk2 (or a very late registered mk1)

I'm coming to the conclusion that (in the UK at least) these things moved so slowly out of the showrooms that they were often registered one or even two years after the date of manufacture.
Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#25 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:52 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Wed 18th Apr 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ta
trying to hunt something down nearer shock, batt, fuse box end as thats where I've got loom for fuel pump.
was thinking tee-ing off from R brakelight switch feed...

tho light has stopped play for today

Job done bar road test , took feed from R brakelight after made an extension piece
then corroded brakelight fell apart..... b*llox...another bit to fix

cost of TDM elec fuel pump new would be interesting, found pringle(?) solid state replacement pump for around £42 yesterday, not bad considering ebay R1 prices + it looked smaller (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/hoses/hoses.html scroll down to Facet fuel pumps)

Edited by jht, 19 April 2007 - 10:34 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#26 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:14 pm

QUOTE(andyj @ Thu 19th Apr 2007, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm coming to the conclusion that (in the UK at least) these things moved so slowly out of the showrooms that they were often registered one or even two years after the date of manufacture.

Yup, mine's a '98 model on a W reg.

#27 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:37 pm

Piccys for those that interested cool.gif

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#28 Beedenb

Beedenb

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:03 pm

Hi all,
My bike is MK2 sorry for the confusion. 1997

Well I fitted the 1998 R1 pump yesterday , only to find that the bike was getting very hot on the RH cyl and back firing when the rev's dropped off, the top speed I could manage was only 105mph.
I'm not sure what's causing the problem with the R1 pump, anyway I changed the pump back over to the std vaccum type and all well , I gained another 20mph with no back firing.
I'll test the bike out for a couple of weeks before I decide what to do with the R1 pump. You may see it on this forum

Question.
With the R1 pump fitted could the petrol flow be too great for the carb's causing the back firing , but why only the RH cyl ? I do have twin Lazer Proline racing exhusts fitted.

beedenb

#29 Beedenb

Beedenb

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:51 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 19th Apr 2007, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in that case, would it be better to use a post-1999 TDM electric fuel pump rather than a one from an R1/R6 ?

Hi
I fitted the R1 ( 1998 ) pump with in line filter & relay on my 1997 MK2 as decribed above on this forum but found the petrol flow rate was to great for the carb's and the down pipes were getting very hot. ( RH Cly )The exhausts were also back firing when you lowered the rev's. to an extent that it was unrideable - It felt like I was riding on full coke.
Any idea's to rectify this ?
( At present I'm running the bike back on the Std vaccum pump )

Beedenb

#30 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:25 pm

Hmm
I got Laser pipes and had no probs like this! Runs ok except for a vibration that seems to have appeared ranting.gif

No backfiring, hot running etc tho' doubtfull.gif

Mind you, what else gas been done to yours carbs-wise if you running open Laser pipes????

I've just set the fuel levels, float heights had been around 13mm, had to drop them to +/-9mm to get the right fuel height tho, and just about to go balance carbs. (Roadtest will be tomorrow now, pants as was great day for a spin!)

Oh yeah, priced up brackets, pipes and 'leccy pump from 99-00 TDM.......

Around £200

That puts paid to that one then!!

Edited by jht, 02 May 2007 - 04:27 pm.

#31 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:28 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Wed 2nd May 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, priced up brackets, pipes and 'leccy pump from 99-00 TDM.......
Around £200
That puts paid to that one then!!

is that new parts or second hand?

My TDM :

#32 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:57 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Wed 2nd May 2007, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is that new parts or second hand? That'll be NEW prices

Ok scrap everything I said re carbs ok

I live & learn....

Set fuel height as per wkshop manual, did it off bike on bench

everything hunky dory

fitted carbs & ran up with remote fuel line NOT via pump

all OK

hooked fuel feed to pump, turned on fuel and igntion

Fuel pissing everywhere

Recheck heights now carbs in situ.. ok

checked them with pump on, and they over by around 5-6mm

Aaaarrrrrrssssseeeeee ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif

so gonna have to drop carbs, rest fuel height around 6-7mm lower than spec and try again

bollox

Edited by jht, 02 May 2007 - 04:57 pm.

#33 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:03 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Wed 2nd May 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so gonna have to drop carbs, rest fuel height around 6-7mm lower than spec and try again

Spec is aboot 11-13mm? You changed them by 9mm???? blink.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#34 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:18 pm

Nah, dropped 'em to 9mm, so 2mm under spec, to get correct fuel height

they were at 13mm, fuel height was 10mm below level (spec is 15.8-16.8mm for Mk2)

sure we been thru this before, but where did 11-13mm float height come from, as Yam only list fuel height spec??

anyway carbs off and goin to drop fuel height to 23mm (so gonna go for 11mm flaot height roughly) gives me a 5mm head for pump pressure and that'll hopefully stop leaking

ever wished you'd just left it all alone....... unsure.gif

Edited by jht, 02 May 2007 - 05:20 pm.

#35 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:36 pm

Ahh ok you were talkin fuel height snot float height......spec for float height is about somewhere, think its also on Factory Pro website.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#36 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:41 pm

Right that seems to have done it

Float height set to 11mm on bench

didn't bother checking fuel height on bench (tho had set fuel height guage to 22mm)

chucked carbs back on (without connecting cables etc).....

Hooked up pumped fuel feed, turn on ign, checked fuel height with pump on.....

fecking spot on 16mm below Mikuni line, no leaks anywhere yahoo.gif banana.gif yahoo.gif banana.gif

carbs balanced, bike together, road test will have to be commute in tomorrow...... finger crossed angel.gif

#37 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:14 am

that'd be new Tony, i may have a guy selling those parts secondhand from a 99 MKIIa, oil contact him and see if he still has em.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#38 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:59 am

QUOTE(jht @ Wed 2nd May 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
road test will have to be commute in tomorrow...... finger crossed angel.gif

how'd it go?

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 3rd May 2007, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that'd be new Tony, i may have a guy selling those parts secondhand from a 99 MKIIa, oil contact him and see if he still has em.

cheers mate, think i'd rather go with a mk2a than an R1/6.

My TDM :

#39 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:58 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 3rd May 2007, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how'd it go?
cheers mate, think i'd rather go with a mk2a than an R1/6. WHY??

Well she got there and back, no fuel leaks, no splutters coughs or farts, noticed a litttle hunting this am on M3, but not this afternoon on way home.

But seat of the pants input is that she revs noticably quicker, seems to pull stronger and cleaner.

She smells a tad rich, so as the jetting for the Laser pipes was guess-timated I'd really like to dyno her now.

(I notice stormy lists his trixie as 94bhp, now that'd be a fun targert for TDM..... And whats this CDI white wire / low gear power restriction thang???)

#40 crazymanneil

crazymanneil

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:42 pm

I've just completed install of R1 fuel pump on my mk2 850. Seems to be smoother power delivery with no hesitation on acceleration like before. Not sure if it made a difference in torque down the rev range or speed up top but happy enough. Next step will be a decent exhaust rolleyes.gif

I didn't put a relay on and mine seems fine. Started out trying to tie to wires going into the CDI and quickly found out that the current on them seems to pulsate when the engine is running. Might also be the cause of others having backfiring and running on one cylinder. I ended up tracing the loom from the right hand bar controls to the plug under the tank. A few tests with the multimeter and I took earth from the black wire and switched live from the red/white wire (there are 2 of these - i used the one in the middle of the connector). So far so good. cool.gif

neil
1998 Yamahahahahahhaa tdm 850 mk2. 19000miles and climbing fast.
Mods done: CCC exhaust, top box, loud horns
Planned mods: chain oiler, heated grips

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users