#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:50 pm

I remember that vid Kelpie. Not at all funny. :lol:  Those Mstar boots have a hidden heel or whatever they call them don't they ?

I grounded my zorst after fitting longer dog bones on my old 9'er, lucky I didn't high side tbh.  Happened 90 mins off the Santander ferry on a 2 week tour ! :lol:  I later realised that my rear suspension settings were also way too soft, rode much better once I'd adjusted it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:53 pm

I remember that vid Kelpie. Not at all funny. :lol:  Those Mstar boots have a hidden heel or whatever they call them don't they ?

Yeah, the heel is a good bit higher and so is the sole, which is the important bit.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#23 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:07 am

Bit of a late reply but here's my tuppence worth.

I have a 27" inside leg (don't laff), and I'm a 30 year old (+100% vat) granny.  I'm on my 3rd TDM in around 12 years and I've only ever dropped one once and that was as I was foolishly parking on a hill and it slipped off the side stand.  Oh no, wait, twice, once on a gravel car park in Pennan 10 years ago, and  it's on Youtube if you want a good laugh. 

NB - the video is pre-IAM training, I use better road lines now and don't fall over when I turn.  I also avoid gravel car parks.

It's all about practise and good planning.  I did the IAM course and went on to be an observer for a few years.  I can't recommend the IAM course highly enough.  My slow speed skills were dire before that so I was lucky not to drop it more often.  I'm used to watching where I stop and making sure my foot isn't going to land in a hole.  I watch out for dodgy cambers and make use of curbs if necessary.  I'm also using a custom Topsellerie seat that's seen me through the whole 12 years and 3 bikes and although it's wasn't a low seat, it's probably pretty squashed now.  That helps a lot.  I tried longer dog bones a couple of years ago at the suggestion of my well-meaning husband.  I detested the handling on the bike when it was lowered.  I changed them back straight away.

I also have Daytona MStar boots which are expensive but brilliant.  My first pair last 10 years before the soles started to wear out.  You'll never ever have wet feet with a pair of Daytonas.  Have a look on eBay and buy direct from Germany, much cheaper than UK prices.

I have no issue with the height or weight of the bike, even fully loaded.  Although I do struggle to manoeuvre it from the ground these days, unless I'm actually on it.  But that's what husbands are for.   :P

Mine's the grey bike (and the fastest).

Lovely part of the world  :badgerrock: . These kind of gravel tumbles can be the worst. I dropped a Laverda Jota in similar circumstances at Applecross -  I'd switched off the engine, put my (short) leg foot down on the gravel, lost my footing and the crankcase pinned my foot to the ground - I kept going and I heard my ankle snap as I kept going.  :sorry:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#24 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:19 pm

Lovely part of the world  :badgerrock: . These kind of gravel tumbles can be the worst. I dropped a Laverda Jota in similar circumstances at Applecross -  I'd switched off the engine, put my (short) leg foot down on the gravel, lost my footing and the crankcase pinned my foot to the ground - I kept going and I heard my ankle snap as I kept going.  :sorry:

Ooooooow!! I was ok and I got up and walked away, pretending it was all a plan. Took me an hour to find someone fit enough to help me pick it up again. It was lying downhill and Id ridden over from Kilkenny on my own.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users