• Please log in to reply
5803 replies to this topic

#3381 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:32 pm

Adjusted the gearchange linkage on my 1991 TDM 850.  Bloody Hell !  What a difference !  I've just accepted that the gearchange could be a bit clunky for nearly the last year. Now it's almost....well not quite....slick !   A big improvement.

Also tried out new map routing using MyRoute-App.   Pretty easy to use and really makes a big difference to my Garmin Nuvi 2495.  Now I can go where I want to, and not where Miss Satnav decides she's sending me.

#3382 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:01 pm

Adjusted the gearchange linkage on my 1991 TDM 850.  Bloody Hell !  What a difference !  I've just accepted that the gearchange could be a bit clunky for nearly the last year. Now it's almost....well not quite....slick !   A big improvement.

Can you run through this procedure. My D9 can be quite clunky (could be me tho). And have often looked at the adjustment part of the gearchange but unsure of the procedure.

#3383 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:20 pm

Can you run through this procedure. My D9 can be quite clunky (could be me tho). And have often looked at the adjustment part of the gearchange but unsure of the procedure.

I'll do my best, but bear in mind I ride an early TDM 850.  When I got the bike I adjusted most of the controls so that I was comfortable operating them.  The gearchange pedal was reachable and I didn't think this was worth changing.  But eventually I realised that I was having to actually hook the pedal upwards to change up rather than rotating my foot upwards whilst still on the footpeg.

What I did was remove the plastic cover hiding the connecting link from the pedal and loosen the two locknuts on the connecting link..... remember, one of them is a left-hand thread.  I then rotated the link and lowered the tip of the pedal by 15mm, re-tightened the locknuts and refitted the plastic cover.

On reflection, what seemed to be happening during the gearchange was that I wasn't fully engaging the gear, I was just moving the selector inside the transmission past the point of no return and it was really just throwing itself the rest of the way.

Now the change is very positive. What a difference 15mm makes !

Best of Luck...

#3384 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:33 am

OK thanks for coming back soo quick. Your explanation is very clear - ta. :)

#3385 Steves

Steves

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:18 pm

Vinyl wrapped some slightly worse for wear Givi panniers I recently aquired. The top removable covers were silver painted but badly scratched and the middle section which is part of the lid was scuffed which was unsightly but not deep. I had heard about vinyl wrapping but hadnt realised how relatively simple and versatile it was to apply. I used Matt black for the middle section and gloss white for the top covers to match up as best I could with the tank. The only tools needed were a hairdryer and a Stanley knife and plenty of patience! I was amazed to find it was even possible to stretch and mould it around the handle recesses with some very slow and gentle persuasion, by heating and stretching very gradually. The vinyl costs about £15 per metre and is about 1.5 metres wide so enough to do both panniers about 3 times. Its easy to remove if needed as I did some practice runs

Being of more senior years I remember trying to cover things in fablon only to end up with more trapped air bubbles than flat areas!! This stuff is miraculous by comparison, using special adhesive that allows air to escape ...... dont ask me how, but it works amazingly well

Im pleased with the results and now just need a couple of new badges to finish the job and way cheaper and quicker than paint and more durable too I suspect. Even better still, if I damage it Ive got enough left to do it again!

Nothing is safe from being wrapped now!!

Attached Files

#3386 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:40 pm

Nice wrapping....looks very well

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3387 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:56 pm

Nice wrapping....looks very well

+1 very neat...

#3388 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:04 pm

Vinyl wrapped some slightly worse for wear Givi panniers I recently aquired. The top removable covers were silver painted but badly scratched and the middle section which is part of the lid was scuffed which was unsightly but not deep. I had heard about vinyl wrapping but hadnt realised how relatively simple and versatile it was to apply. I used Matt black for the middle section and gloss white for the top covers to match up as best I could with the tank. The only tools needed were a hairdryer and a Stanley knife and plenty of patience! I was amazed to find it was even possible to stretch and mould it around the handle recesses with some very slow and gentle persuasion, by heating and stretching very gradually. The vinyl costs about £15 per metre and is about 1.5 metres wide so enough to do both panniers about 3 times. Its easy to remove if needed as I did some practice runs

Being of more senior years I remember trying to cover things in fablon only to end up with more trapped air bubbles than flat areas!! This stuff is miraculous by comparison, using special adhesive that allows air to escape ...... dont ask me how, but it works amazingly well

Im pleased with the results and now just need a couple of new badges to finish the job and way cheaper and quicker than paint and more durable too I suspect. Even better still, if I damage it Ive got enough left to do it again!

Nothing is safe from being wrapped now!!

Well Done !  Looks like a better job than my first attempt.  But it is good stuff, isn't it ?  Will it put painters out of work ?

#3389 Steves

Steves

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:54 pm

Not sure it is the answer to every paint job but it was a revelation to me and it’s inexpensive enough to allow you to make a few mistakes along the way and easily reversed if needed. I’m beginning to sound like an advert for wrap manufacturers!

By the way, when I bought the panniers they were advertised as Kawasaki Versys panniers but the earlier Versys panniers were just Givi V35’s rebranded so will fit so long as you have the correct frames (the ones that curve inwards as opposed to the flat ones if that makes sense!)

#3390 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:51 am

Changed sump gasket, but had a case of a broken bolt... I knew it, was simply too hard to unscrew to endure applied force. A touch of a blow torch and a pipe wrench fixed it...

Attached Files

Edited by Bjørge, 07 October 2018 - 11:58 am.

Bjørge

#3391 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:40 pm

Installed my Givi dolomiti luggage today, very happy with how they look on the bike

Also put on some engine bars

Installed my new Yamaha touring screen I bought off fellow member Rusper, I also got a centre stand off of Rusper but the bolts under my bike to attach it are completely seized :/ exhaust coming off next weekend (maybe) to take the angle grinder/welder to them

I picked up some Oxford hand grips from Ebay. Only bought these as they have just the one attachment point - the bar ends - so felt install would be easier. Wouldn't recommend these. I can rotate the hand guard with firm but not extreme force, and I really tightened the adjustment screws (which are aluminium so all the allen heads are now circles...). I read on here that R1150GS, Versys and KTM hand guards are popular choices. 

Still got some chinese engine bar lights to install, heated grips and hoping to invest in a Givi Zumo 595lm in the coming weeks. These will all go on their own relay and fusebox controlled circuit from the battery. Next weekend for that though I think, working with a soldering iron in the rain not my idea of a good time!

On the wishlist is a 17" front wheel. I'm getting a lot of punctures and my Pirelli Angel GTs are costing me a fortune. I have the abs model and have read that the hubs of the 1998-2001 R1s, R6s and FZ1000s respectively won't accept the sensor. Wouldn't be the end of the world for me to lose ABS as none of my previous bikes had it but would like to retain it for value preservation as much as anything if I can. Any success stories on this front?

Attached Files

#3392 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:18 pm

Not Today
Last week
Set of cheap Led lamps - 3 function high ,low + Flash
This week
New Tyres - Bridgestone
Mot - passed ( great stuff )
Now
After a couple of days of Constantly Pissing Down
Led lamps constantly lit ( very dim ) when switched off - only flashing mode when On -
Brake Light doesn't work with front brake lever - Ok with Rear though ?

Strangely enough the last time I used that Mot Station 4/5 years ago
Connections for Front lights fooked on way home

So looking for a couple of dry Dry quiet day's at work to have a look at this

#3393 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:37 pm

Finished the 96,000 miles service on my 2003 900. Plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and coolant all changed. Brakes and lower suspension linkage stripped cleaned & greased (where appropriate). I just need to plug in the socket for my Keis heated jacket and gloves and remove the old (and useless) heated grips. 

I am not going to do the valve clearance check because only minor shim shenanigans were needed at 24K and 72K. Nothing needed doing at at 48k and so I'm hoping the pattern continues and nothing needs doing at 96k  :huh:  I promise I'll check them at 120k miles!!!

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#3394 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:21 pm

After 6 weeks without use I started the 900, after an hour of being on charge. Not used since I got the KTM and then had my accident. Nice to hear her fire up easily :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3395 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:45 pm

Installed my Givi dolomiti luggage today, very happy with how they look on the bike

Also put on some engine bars

Installed my new Yamaha touring screen I bought off fellow member Rusper, I also got a centre stand off of Rusper but the bolts under my bike to attach it are completely seized :/ exhaust coming off next weekend (maybe) to take the angle grinder/welder to them

I picked up some Oxford hand grips from Ebay. Only bought these as they have just the one attachment point - the bar ends - so felt install would be easier. Wouldn't recommend these. I can rotate the hand guard with firm but not extreme force, and I really tightened the adjustment screws (which are aluminium so all the allen heads are now circles...). I read on here that R1150GS, Versys and KTM hand guards are popular choices. 

Still got some chinese engine bar lights to install, heated grips and hoping to invest in a Givi Zumo 595lm in the coming weeks. These will all go on their own relay and fusebox controlled circuit from the battery. Next weekend for that though I think, working with a soldering iron in the rain not my idea of a good time!

On the wishlist is a 17" front wheel. I'm getting a lot of punctures and my Pirelli Angel GTs are costing me a fortune. I have the abs model and have read that the hubs of the 1998-2001 R1s, R6s and FZ1000s respectively won't accept the sensor. Wouldn't be the end of the world for me to lose ABS as none of my previous bikes had it but would like to retain it for value preservation as much as anything if I can. Any success stories on this front?

Just a thought but when I fitted my centre stand it came with 3 bolts which crewed into 3 threaded holes under the back of the engine......so please don't grind any existing  bolts off unless you are sure you are right !!!!

#3396 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:54 pm

Just a thought but when I fitted my centre stand it came with 3 bolts which crewed into 3 threaded holes under the back of the engine......so please don't grind any existing  bolts off unless you are sure you are right !!!!

I'm reasonably sure based on an offer up test but it's a good point you make, will have another look this weekend if I can find the time - where it all goes these days I don't know

#3397 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:07 pm

IIRC The pre existing 3 mounting  holes were on a flat cross member of the frame (or possibly the swingarm ) behind the rear of the engine...further back than you might initially guess. Seems to me you might have to clean them out with a tap but any bolts you are looking to grind could well be engine mountings ??

#3398 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:16 pm

Got the tax out for another year - away camping it in a couple of weeks. :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3399 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:29 pm

Might come and pay a visit if the roads aint snowed up Al, could bring some hearty soup in a flask for ya. :D What's the pub name in Crompton ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3400 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:10 pm

Be great if you can get there - your place is reserved.

If anyone want to attend The Tees Tornadoes MCC Hidden Valley Rally, please PM me and I'll sort out your place.

New Inn, Cropton, N Yorks.

Site is flat & not windy, it may be cold :)

I'll be going Thursday 15th  at some point.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users