• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:18 am

I had the bike in getting some electrical work sorted and the guy in the shop said he could hear a slight rattle in the cam chain, he said it wouldn't be worth changing given the year/ millage on the bike.

It's an 06 TDM 900 with 108277km on it (Although the bike was used for marshaling triathlons so a lot of that millage isn't what i'd consider "true miles")

The bike is in perfect running order. I have it nearly a year and I've given it a full service, rebuilt rear caliper, flushed cooling system etc. so it is being maintained. I just hate the thought of the bike practically being written off due to one part needing replacing.

I'm just looking for opinions on whether or not actual owners would invest in an older lady or should i consider it past it's best?

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:50 am

If you like the bike and are happy with the general mechanical condition and don't want to change bike then ignore the guy.

That said how slight is the rattle, a little bit isn't a huge problem and possible a job you could do yourself (I don't know these engines well enough yet to know how much of a strip down is involved).

If a lot of those miles are done at very low load I'd get a compression test done as the bores may be the bit that let you down, I believe they have a ceramic coating but have no idea what they are like for glazing.

Don't take me as gospel as I'm very new to TDM's and have the 850 4tx, others will be along soon with much more informed views.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:59 am

Just broken in at 108277km. :D  The bores should be fine. Some peeps 9'ers on here have well over 100000 miles with original piston rings and unseen bores..

It may be that the camchain tensioner is nearly ready to pop out another notch but it's not quite there yet.  A slight rattle is pretty common.

Replacing the camchain is dooable for the keen amateur mechanic/fettler with a service manual and some help from us lot. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:21 am

Just broken in at 108277km. :D  The bores should be fine. Some peeps 9'ers on here have well over 100000 miles with original piston rings and unseen bores..

It may be that the camchain tensioner is nearly ready to pop out another notch but it's not quite there yet.  A slight rattle is pretty common.

Replacing the camchain is dooable for the keen amateur mechanic/fettler with a service manual and some help from us lot. :)

Quadsey yer man above has hit the nail on the head.  some people can persuade the tensioner to advance one more click.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:50 am

Cheers for the input lads, I'm loving the bike and felt a bit deflated with that news. That being said, I personally can't hear anything but I'm not sure exactly what I should be listening for.

I feel a bit better about it now though, might look into the tensioner though.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:19 am

I changed my 900's  cam chain at 100,000 just because I felt I should give it some major engine work even though there was nothing wrong with it....a 100k birthday present

The condition of the chain was consistent with one I had removed from an 850 with 60k miles. The link pins had worn a bit, the valve timing was a little bit out and in fariness it did perform a bit better after changing the chain, but it was definitely not close to failing.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:04 pm

Perfect running order I cant hear anything Sounds to me like nothing needs doing, if I ever forgot to put my earplugs in both the tdms Ive had sound horrendous!

Edited by chrisr, 09 August 2019 - 12:05 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:18 pm

He Quadsey, here an 2002 900 with 130.000 km on the clock and running as new!

Last year I checked the tensioner and found it being stuck.

With a 900 the tensioner is a screw like mechanism with a radial spring.

Just remove the single screw in the centre of the tensioner and try to rotate the inside screw with a tiny screwdriver.

But: try to rotate it a very little bit! No more than 30-45 deg!!! Otherwise you risk the cam wheels to jump a tooth.

In my case the inside screw was stuck and would not rotate.

I used a lot of ptfe spray and got the thing moving again.

That way I got rid totally of the rattle :)

Turn clockwise to counter the spring load.

The spring forces the screw in counter clockwise direction.

Japanese are notorious "economical" with grease, so after a while it can run dry.

It worked for me!

#9 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:23 pm

I changed my 900's  cam chain at 100,000 just because I felt I should give it some major engine work even though there was nothing wrong with it....a 100k birthday present

The condition of the chain was consistent with one I had removed from an 850 with 60k miles. The link pins had worn a bit, the valve timing was a little bit out and in fariness it did perform a bit better after changing the chain, but it was definitely not close to failing.

Was that a job you took on yourself or did you bring it to a garage? Roughly how much did it cost?

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:50 pm

Was that a job you took on yourself or did you bring it to a garage? Roughly how much did it cost?

I think I paid less than £35 for the new chain and fitted it myself, but I'm probably overly confident and a bit experienced. If you've done any work previously involving removing the chain from the cam sprockets, and then re-timing the cams to the crank, on any engine, then it is not going to be a problem for you. Throw in £5 for the oil pump cover gasket and it's job done. Might as well check the valve shims at the same time if you're going that far, strip and lube the tensioner too.

If you haven't done a chain before, or removed and refitted cams, then it's still not impossible if you have some skills, the Haynes manual is spot on and there are videos on Youtube which help too.

Otherwise it's best to use a garage or a 'handy friend' who you know is trustworthy

Edited by fixitsan, 14 August 2019 - 07:50 pm.

#11 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:40 pm

Not sure I'd be confident to take on this job myself. Any ball park figures as to what i could expect to pay in a garage?

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:55 pm

Not sure I'd be confident to take on this job myself. Any ball park figures as to what i could expect to pay in a garage?

Before starting some bodywork needs to come off, the radiator taken off, a bit of piping removed, but then it's pretty straightforward. I reckon I could do the whole job in 3 hours, not rushing.  I don't know how long  the Yamaha job card says it should take. Haynes have it as a 4 out of 5 difficulty level, but it's only just a 4. 

3 hours of mechanics time, plus a few parts

There is problematic bolt which holds a water pipe to the cylinder head and should be removed to get the cam cover completely off, but if it won't budge then the cover can be lifted up out of the way enough with it in place just to change the chain, but then I don't know what you would do about the valve shims next time. A good mechanic will have all the tricks he needs to get it out though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users