13 replies to this topic

#1 Dickyb

Dickyb

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:57 am

Hi All,

I have a 2005 TDM900 which is proving to be a great touring bike here in Turkey. I do find, however, that after a couple of hundred kilometers I develop a stiff neck and shoulders, something I don't experience after 600 kilometers on my Yam XT660. As far as I know the TDM is fitted with standard handlebars in the "normal" position. I did adjust the handlebars by tilting the forwards a tad but to no avail. I am five feet eleven and have the standard seat.

Have any of you out there experienced the same problem and found a remedy? I love the bike but it feels like I've been on a rack when I get off it!

Many thanks,

Dicky

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:47 am

Same height as you.

Change your screen, not sure what you have...... but 3hrs in a wind storm will be tough on your neck.

Sit further forward on the seat, get your nicky-nacky-nooo up to the tank.

Relax when your riding. drop your elbows and loosen the death grip on the handlebars.

Take more breaks. its a heavier bike than Xt660 and the seating position is different. Try steering from the hips more ie alter the centre of gravity.

I lowered my seat by an inch and got it recovered, muck more comfortable.

There loads you can try.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 Dickyb

Dickyb

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:09 am

Same height as you.

Change your screen, not sure what you have...... but 3hrs in a wind storm will be tough on your neck.

Sit further forward on the seat, get your nicky-nacky-nooo up to the tank.

Relax when your riding. drop your elbows and loosen the death grip on the handlebars.

Take more breaks. its a heavier bike than Xt660 and the seating position is different. Try steering from the hips more ie alter the centre of gravity.

I lowered my seat by an inch and got it recovered, muck more comfortable.

There loads you can try.

Thanks Geordie Guy,

The screen is a MRA Vario with which I haven't noticed a great deal of wind blast. Certainly less than my XT660. I will certainly try out your tips. Silly thing is that I did an 8000km trip around East Europe last year two up with no problems. Only thing I've recently changed is dropping the forks down through the clamps to their normal position. Previously they stood proud about an inch through the top yoke. Maybe that's it! Though I haven't a clue as to what difference that would make. The bike certainly handles better now. Before the front wheel used to drop into turns quite alarmingly.

Cheers,

Dicky

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:19 am

Maybe 'up and back' handlebar adjusters?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:00 pm

Maybe 'up and back' handlebar adjusters?

Just thinking the same , worked for me.

Buck

#6 Dickyb

Dickyb

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:35 pm

Just thinking the same , worked for me.

Buck

Forgive the ignorance Robodene and Buck but what are they and where would I get me some?

Cheers,

Dicky

#7 nadako

nadako

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:44 pm

http://www.bykebitz....rs-up-back.html
For example ..:-)

#8 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:26 pm

I've had aching back of neck too. Noticed I was pulling my head back when riding, so made a concerted effort to remember to push my head forward a bit. (I did buy a set of adjustable bar risers but the change of head position seemed to do the trick so never actually put them on).

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#9 Dickyb

Dickyb

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:31 pm

Thanks Nadako for taking the time.

Cheers,

Dicky

I've had aching back of neck too. Noticed I was pulling my head back when riding, so made a concerted effort to remember to push my head forward a bit. (I did buy a set of adjustable bar risers but the change of head position seemed to do the trick so never actually put them on).

Thanks NickIAM,

I've gleaned a fair few options so far. Sounds like I'll have to go for a ride tomorrow to test them out.

Thanks all,

Dicky

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:53 pm

I had them from Nippy Norman, though I believe they are a bit more expensive now. Effective tho. It gave about 20/25mm up and back. There is also the possibility of turning the bars round a bit; I did it by 90 degrees on another bike for a change of attitude. Just have to be careful with how far cables will cope - with either scheme.

Edited by Robodene, 02 September 2015 - 06:15 pm.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:53 pm

Hi Dickyb, I tried up and back risers but I settled for the Roxter" risers which work great for me but are a little expensive,

http://www.happy-tra...1-1/8-28mm.aspx

these are the type

Buck

#12 Dickyb

Dickyb

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:10 pm

I had them from Nippy Norman, though I believe they are a bit more expensive now. Effective tho. It gave about 20/25mm up and back. There is also the possibility of turning the bars round a bit; I did it by 90 degrees on another bike for a change of attitude. Just have to be careful with how far cables will cope - with either scheme.

Thanks Robodene,

As an update I adjusted the bars by moving them toward me a tad which caused me to drop my shoulders and elbows and lower my head, previously I was sat more or less upright. No aches or pains after a couple of hour ride.

Thanks all.

Dicky

#13 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:05 pm

A cheaper version:

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B00NXSIFG2

Any good?

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#14 Roadpoet

Roadpoet

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:06 pm

Just a thought but I find that I sometimes tense up especially in the cold or wet and end up holding the bars too tightly which gives me a stiff neck and painful shoulders. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users