151 replies to this topic

#21 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:55 am

Another Central Vic rider here. If we can come up with some estimates of when as well as where, i'd be happy to attend.

(And like several others, i'm on the generic silver 9er tongue.gif)
Even with an IQ of 6,000 its still brown trousers time....

2006 TDM900 - Silver, Staintune exhausts, EFI mod, centre stand, Ventura rack. More to come!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#22 TDM2340

TDM2340

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:09 am

G'day - agree with the idea of getting together. Was looking for an excuse to go to the Superbikes if the timing was right to do both. Already go to the GP each year, but it's a haul from Tamworth, NSW.

TDM2340
Black 2008 mod, Ventura rack/bag, tall screen, bar risers, Suzi h/guards, JBX airbox mod 1

#23 gabby

gabby

really likes Carpe

• 95 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:37 am

One from Adelaide putting his hand up for this - any excuse to ride and time time off work is ok with me.

#24 cortez

cortez

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:50 am

One here from beautiful downtown Strathfieldsaye. I'm saving my pennies at the moment 'cos I'm going to the Useless, whoops I mean Ulysses AGM at Albany next year, I dare say I'll be fairly financially damaged by the time I get back too. But a get together of TDM's (and riders) sounds good to me, we'll have to come up with a collective noun for a gathering of TDMers.

#25 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:53 am

QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...(And like several others, i'm on the generic silver 9er tongue.gif)
Speaking of which, were you 2-up on Mon' or Tues' (Mc Hwy 5:20PM, didn't get a real good look whilst parking my cage) or is there yet another generic silver 9er in town?FWIK there are two reds and 2 silvers for sure.
QUOTE(cypher @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silver 2002 TDM in Mildura (far NW VIC) - I've just got back from 6 days in the mountains, ride report here. I'd be interested in a TDM group ride sometime, although I struggle to get away from work at times. Omeo would be good, I preferred Tallangatta but I don't think the pub has many beds....
You forgot to label the "BUM CATCHMENT" between the other two arrows.
Or the "BUG CATCHMENT" at the front. smile.gif

PS

Is this where I think it is, I pulled up here the other day (probably for the same reason as you), see here if you have Google Earth.

Edited by AzzA, 17 December 2009 - 10:24 am.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#26 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:24 am

Cypher's report was terrific, shame it rained for the Falls Creek / Mt Beauty bit as its probably the best section. The section from Omeo Hwy up to Pretty Valley storage has just been resealed and the gravel should be gone pretty quickly. The disappointing thing is the rough base on which it was put, had hoped for better. For those who may be aware of the new hydro generator coming into service on the Kiewa scheme, well the rock that had to be blasted to make the tunnel for this was used to make the base for this section of road sealing. For about 100 years there has been a push to seal the Corryong Road , the Mitta mitta Road or the Falls Creek road (or preferably all) The Falls road was the one that has been done but only because of the tie in with the new tunnel and a need to do something with the rock. Why couldnt they try a little harder and make a smooth base. Poor old Golden Age, it doesnt seem to matter who has the license, it never seems to get the food right (or not for long). The Blue Duck is a great place and the camping on the river nearby is excellent but there is the Little River Inn at Ensay that has good accommodation and welcomes groups.
We went for a ride on sunday that was the Omeo- Falls Creek- Mt Beauty-Bright-Hotham -Omeo loop , its here if anyone wants to look.
Some interesting facts: Great Alpine Road was so named as a tourist thing (totally ignoring its long history). Bairnsdale to Omeo is actually (sorry, was) part of the Omeo Hwy that continues to Mitta Mitta and beyond.
Omeo Highway was the first properly surveyed and constructed highway in Victoria.
Omeo to Bright is actually (sorry, was) the Alpine Road.
The last 10km section to Hotham was finally sealed after some 120 years in 1998 under the Kennet government but was done quickly in order to meet deadline and this section has a rough base that gives a crap ride today. Until then the traffic flow was very low. Since then traffic has increased 1000 fold (more) hence the move for Omeo to become more tourist oriented, for better or worse.
Its 100 years this year since the first car reached Omeo, see attached. Thats the then Golden Age behind the car (its burnt down a few times)
Alfred Howitt was the first to take a "four in hand" team from Omeo to Bright (and amazes everyone by doing so). He was awarded the job of Magistrate at Omeo as a reward for leading the rescue party for the "burke and Wills" expedition.
Now, you are honoured!, this has never been shown before, the licensees board from above the door at the Blue Duck when it was owned by the OConnels, now held by the family.
I'll shut up now
Cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 17 December 2009 - 11:41 am.

#27 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:54 pm

QUOTE(AzzA @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS

Is this where I think it is, I pulled up here the other day (probably for the same reason as you), see here if you have Google Earth.

Yep, the roadside stop opposite the Wood Wood store. I stopped cos I needed a stretch, and wanted a photo of the river to finish the trip report (mainly for my family who are irrigators down river in SA).

Graeme - nice set of photos there, the problem with riding alone is no riding action shots! I think I had a whinge about the gravel on the Falls Creek road in my report, but I agree with what you said, it's not a big problem (as long as you're not trying to drag the pegs). I personally couldn't see any point in going flat out through there anyway, you'd miss all the scenery.

Tim

#28 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:17 am

QUOTE(cortez @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we'll have to come up with a collective noun for a gathering of TDMers.

A "cakel" of TDMers, as in "I'm off to a cakeling at the weekend, where are my elastic belted trousers?" rolleyes.gif

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#29 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:38 am

QUOTE(cortez @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
, we'll have to come up with a collective noun for a gathering of TDMers.

Hmm,
* a "teeming" of tdm's
* a "convergment" of tdm's
* a "wheeling" of tdm's
* a "tdming"
No, i wont give up the day job.

#30 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:56 am

GOT IT

A "CARPET" of tdm's

#31 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:25 am

QUOTE(graeme @ Fri 18th Dec 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GOT IT

A "CARPET" of tdm's

Carpe Torte Day Mates!

(Grab the Cake Day for Friends of a kind.

#32 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:20 am

Speaking of which, were you 2-up on Mon' or Tues' (Mc Hwy 5:20PM, didn't get a real good look whilst parking my cage) or is there yet another generic silver 9er in town?FWIK there are two reds and 2 silvers for sure.

That was indeed me and the better half. Heading home from work in the best fashion. Didnt spot you in the cage, sry!

I can't say I've spotted any other TDM's about town though...
Even with an IQ of 6,000 its still brown trousers time....

2006 TDM900 - Silver, Staintune exhausts, EFI mod, centre stand, Ventura rack. More to come!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#33 aussie9

aussie9

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 62 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:24 am

Yes, very interested in attending a gathering.
The Vic high country sounds wonderful.
Simply need a few months lead time to co-ordinate/organize time from work.
Ian
miles <===> smiles

#34 Buzzo

Buzzo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:57 am

Hi. I'm another from the Bayside Brisbane. I work 6 weeks on 6 off so if it fits in with my roster I'll be there.

Steve

#35 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:11 am

QUOTE(cortez @ Thu 17th Dec 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One here from beautiful downtown Strathfieldsaye. I'm saving my pennies at the moment 'cos I'm going to the Useless, whoops I mean Ulysses AGM at Albany next year, I dare say I'll be fairly financially damaged by the time I get back too. But a get together of TDM's (and riders) sounds good to me, we'll have to come up with a collective noun for a gathering of TDMers.

Ditto for being tied-up and cash strapped before, during and, immediately after the March 2010 period... dare say there's a few other OzTDMers going to be in the same situation, given the number of Useless/Ulysses Club members on these pages. (I can think of 5 off the top of my head.)

This LINK is to Victorian Public Holidays, and Daylight Savings Ends Sunday 4 April 2010.

Personally, Easter (2 April - 5 April) is out for me due to the excessive number of absolute nob-heads that decide to have their annual road-rage drive in the country.

#36 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:49 pm

Streuth, theres more ex cons on Carpe than I imagined........... tongue.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#37 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:39 am

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Wed 23rd Dec 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Streuth, theres more ex cons on Carpe than I imagined........... tongue.gif

What do you mean "ex"

#38 mat41174

mat41174

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:27 pm

I might be heading to Nuriootpa late February but I hear its a local place for local people and theres nothing for me there.

#39 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:21 am

QUOTE(mat41174 @ Fri 25th Dec 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might be heading to Nuriootpa late February but I hear its a local place for local people and theres nothing for me there.

You want want to come here then.

#40 mat41174

mat41174

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:50 am

QUOTE(AzzA @ Fri 25th Dec 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You want want to come here then.

Waiting on someone else's decision at the moment.

If I end up making it over, would be keen to meet up for a laugh and local day tripping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users