- - - - -

Touring Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davet_*

Guest_davet_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:13 pm

Touring Recommendations some ideas please I plan touring Europe over 10 days next year what do I need what do you recommend I take, I am not camping and it will be my first trip abroad on a bike.

What does the bike need anything I need to know?

#2 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:53 pm

The first thing you need is European Breakdown cover. Even TDM's can break down and it is invaluable. I speak from experience as the stator failed on mine and it was recovered from the French Motorway.
Give the bike a good service and you should be fine.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#3 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:07 pm

If we ever get our butts into gear and decide on next year's RTT location :waiting: , you should join us. A great introduction to Euro touring, cake and a great craic with like-minded TDMers. 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#4 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:17 pm

I think many of the Alpine passes are open a for a couple more weeks, so get down there and get your fill.

Dolomites are my favourites.

Edit: d'oh reread and see you are going next year.  Go to the Alps anyway, it's immense and not really that far.

Edited by pilninggas, 23 September 2014 - 09:19 pm.

#5 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:56 pm

Apart from breakdown cover  you will need to cover yourself and get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) in countries that are not members of the EU or aspiring members. Its free!  

Pack as little as possible. Remember you are spending most of your time in riding gear.

Your bank will charge you for every use of your card. Therefore use most of your petrol before refuelling. (I didn't)

Beware of cashpoints in Switzerland. With a foreign card you can just get huge amounts out. (I did)

Dolomites are great, cheap in the summer, loads of rooms. Haggle. (We did)

Pick the passes and just connect them on a map. Really good riding. Ask older locals for the passes they use. We found some too small for cars but great for bikes.

Use Moto Hotels in France and Italy. Always shelter for bikes, some offer workshops for servicing and power washers!

Think that's enough for starters.

oh, and don't rush anything.

Rob

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:17 am

Don't forget to ride on the right side of the road...  :good:

top_640.png

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:57 am

Take some mint jelly wid ewe......the Frenchies luuuuv it.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:22 am

which in my case means ditching the Sat Nav and sticking to maps wherever possible to preserve my concentration and sanity.

The TDM needs petrol (not so much unless you're a ton up boy) and oil (not so much unless you're riding an 850) including the chain--an automatic oiler of some sort is a must in my opinion. Stick some spare bulbs under the seat too. In fact there're lots of handy things that can go under the seat. I always carry spare bulbs, a tyre repair kit, first aid kit, lots of cable ties, Duck tape, torch, spare pair of reading glasses, copy of TDM settings and diagnostic codes, insurance, V5 and lots of other 'might be needed' stuff (I don't think I could buy a bike without a roomy under-seat space).

Other than that, if you're going to be travelling abroad on a regular basis, ADAC for breakdown recovery as it gives you so much more and can be used throughout many European countries including Britain. For the record I don't have a GB sticker (I keep meaning to get one), carry a breathalyzer kit or any of the other 101 things that you may or may not be required to do. That just makes me paranoid and tense. I just board a ferry and head for the hills--that's where the fun is. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:33 am

Carry plenty of water, if you do breakdown you might have to wait a long time for help to arrive.

Its also very versatile, i.e. drinking / washing hands if you have to work on the bike / topping up coolant /soaking your bandana to keep you cool.

A camel bag on your back saves using up your luggage space and enables you to drink on the move.

It's surprising how much liquid you loose when riding in a hot climate and the wind chill can help to deceive you. Being stuck in city traffic is even worse so do a route that avoids them unless you particularly want to visit..

Have a great trip

TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:08 am

You mean the wrong side of the road.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:52 pm

You mean the wrong side of the road.

Beat me too it :hide:

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#12 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:23 pm

Quite like riding on the wrong side, must be the rebel in me. :lol:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:00 pm

You mean don't forget to drive on the wrong side of the road Jerome!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:11 pm

FART - didn't read the last posts

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 gilly

gilly

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:15 pm

Just enjoy there,s nothing finer than waiting to get on ferry or train to go over the water

always best with mates because of the banter and piss taking

enjoy

also i enjoy riding on the wrong side of the road 

A shin is a device for finding furniture in a dark room

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:11 am

Yeah, I bet the Swedes still regret what they did in '67...... :rotflmmfao:

Why be so intolerant ? Why not accept that each and one of us have different feelings on what's the "right" side of the road ? I suggest that if you're raised in a left-driving country, you should have a right to do so wherever you are. And vice versa.

Bjørge

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:02 am

I tie something bright to the right hand mirror stalk so it ruffles in the wind and reminds me which side of the road to be on, easy to drive on the wrong side when your pulling off from a petrol station etc.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Roadpoet

Roadpoet

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:35 pm

My theory is that if you are left handed then driving on the right seems natural - it does for me! Go to the Alps like they said, find somewhere to stay for a couple of days really high and relax and take it all in - you can miss a lot by rushing. Go light. Take lots of money. Smile and try to speak French/Italian/Spanish or whatever they speak where you are - hello, thank you, please, thank you and 1 to 10 are a pretty good start. Euro breakdown - yes. Enjoy 

#19 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:04 pm

What you DON'T need is all the clap trap some say you have to take with you to France. You don't need to ride in hi-viz, or carry breath testers, or red triangles, or  anything else for that matter. 

There was some talk of it but it never made it to the law books for bikers  :)

#20 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:35 pm

What you DON'T need is all the clap trap some say you have to take with you to France. You don't need to ride in hi-viz, or carry breath testers, or red triangles, or  anything else for that matter. 

There was some talk of it but it never made it to the law books for bikers  :)

The only riders I've seen here wearing hi-viz jackets were foreign bikers ! :lol:

As you said no such stuff is mandatory in France.

My theory is that if you are left handed then driving on the right seems natural - it does for me! Go to the Alps like they said, find somewhere to stay for a couple of days really high and relax and take it all in - you can miss a lot by rushing. Go light. Take lots of money. Smile and try to speak French/Italian/Spanish or whatever they speak where you are - hello, thank you, please, thank you and 1 to 10 are a pretty good start. Euro breakdown - yes. Enjoy 

Agree with your travel philosophy, but I'm also left-handed and use both sides of the roads except in case of incoming traffic !

I just find easier to wave at other riders with the left hand when on the right-side of the road. :good:

top_640.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users