#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:27 pm

So me'sen and Tishabelle decided to gofer a quick pootle this mornin. We got to macaroni woods and she asked if I wanted to have a walk. Nah says oi cous it was her ma's birthday = CAKE!!

So we got back to her ma's house and then bike no starty!!! Hmm it turned over very slowly.

Having read dgods recent post and havin me panears on oi decided not to do me solo bump trick and got wan of her brudders to give I a push. On gettin back to lockup (lights off) the boike started fine!!

Is this the start of the famous "unreliable" rectumfrier after 26 years use? I know I have an udder one somewhere but couldn't find it!

Anyways... In a rush to get back to the cake I jumped on Dave and .... Lost a ticken tocken lense and then the ignition switch went intermittent and made him cut out. Grrr.

Anyways safely at cake. No Haynes here but any idea as to what I can test without needing any electrical skills pleasey?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:00 pm

Oi fink ya godda give da batt a roight good lick daps.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:45 pm

Are you positive?

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:50 pm

Terned over very slowly PK?,  wonder if there is excess fuel in the cylinders labouring the starter motor (hydra locked?)

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:53 pm

Nah dont stink so. It had only been stopped a few mins. It were runnin fine. No whack loike pressure lock.... Just no power.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:56 pm

starter relay buzzing atall atall ?  

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:00 pm

Nah. It turned over but just right slow. Started fine from lock up so pretty sure its a non charging problemo. Battery is not even two years old so dont think its that.

Guess oil try and hunt down the spare rectumfrier ... Its in a blue and yellow carrier bag if that helps!!!

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:05 pm

Nah. It turned over but just right slow. Started fine from lock up so pretty sure its a non charging problemo. Battery is not even two years old so dont think its that.

Guess oil try and hunt down the spare rectumfrier ... Its in a blue and yellow carrier bag if that helps!!!

How TF do yew remember that den?   when ya say started foine from lockup do ya mean a place of safe keeping or have I got the wrong end of the Battenberg? 

don't suppose ya have access to a multi meter to test the voltage?

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:19 pm

check that engine earth cable too...

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:05 pm

I remember the useless stuff like the bag!

Yeah I rode it back to lock up/safe keeping area after bump start. . And when back safe in the safe area, it started fine. Only difference from earlier were the loights were off on ride back to lockup.

Have very posh multimeter but wouldn't know where to stick it. :-)

I will see if I can find some engine earth. There is some exhaust mud so its prolly near that. Ta.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:57 pm

You could check the battery voltage at rest and then with engine running.  Think you can get a reading from the starter solenoid if ya can't access the battery/ too busy eating cake. :)

Intermittent problems are a pain though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:21 pm

Oh poo. Found spare rectumfrier, labelled by me as mk1! But it snot going to fit.

Haynes says rectumfrier on left . . nope its on the right. And that air filter needs removing to access connector. . Nope its right there under rhs side panel! Mine has 4 pins not 5 as the spare does. Mine also has a separate wire with screw attachment to rectumfrier.

Not got my very posh multimeter with me SR and being colour blind prolly best I dont try and ewes it!

Mine is half the size of the spare I have!

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:50 pm

So just did another test.

Ran boike for 5mins no lights. Turn off. Turn on ... Vroom.

Ran boike for 5mins with lights. Turn off. Turn on .... Ruh ruh ruh. No starty!

Also noticed thats lights used to brighten slightly when revs picked up from idle. But now the lights dont change brightness at all.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:52 pm

Easy fix...measure the AC volts into the regulator...all 3 phases getting a comfortable 20V or more then replace the regulator, otherwise replace the stator   (after checking all plugs and connections of the circuit first

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:19 pm

You must have the reeeeeally oldy stylee regulator Daps.  Think Electrex do a direct relacement wan if you want to swap like for like.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:24 am

Yup it seems loike a better idea to be able to unplug it at the regulator hey!! And being half the size hasn't stopped it working for 26/7 years ... Then they decided to make it twice the size and make it more difficult to unplug!!

So the electrex RR 98 that I didn't get because it would involve buggering around with wiring is actually a straigt swap (other than the double size and foot too much of cable)? http://www.electrexw...D=926?a7_21RR98

That would be a result.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:14 am

Strange that, I was sure Electrex used to sell an identical one to yours.

Juan loike ewes have  http://yambits.co.uk...ier-p-8923.html

#18 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:00 pm

Oil beef hooked !

Probably the mint jelly eater syndrome : some jelly felt inside the main switch and contaminated  the inside.

Remember, never eat mint jelly and ride a bike at the same time. :good:

top_640.png

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:34 pm

Thanks SR. So a rr98 wouldn't just be a plug in replacement?

Yes yes the yambits wan looks loike my wan! thank you.

Crazy French man. Mint jelly is for beginners. Mint sauce is for the experienced only, it makes your rectumfrier last 26years!!!. I will send some when you are ready. First you must be at one with the jelly. :-)

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:13 pm

Rectumfrier gets my vote.  I always found the easiest place to take a voltage reading on the Mk1 was from the battery of the starter relay, and earth the other one somewhere on the frame. When I replaced it on mine I found it wasn't in the same place as the Haynes reckoned, and on conferring with others on here wasn't in the same place as some other Mk1s, so it maybe they changed the spec somewhere in the Mk1 life time.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users