#1 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:49 pm

The more security on your motorbike the better. A combination of mechanical and electronic security measures is a good start, making sure the products have been tested. A good guide is to use items marked Sold Secure. Check the Sold Secure website.

A wide variety of different locks can be used, such as chains or padlocks, disc locks and D-locks. The most important thing is to secure your motorbike to something solid, which can't be moved, and to have a combination of security measures fitted.

Try to make your motorbike less desirable by marking various parts with identification numbers such as the VIN, registration number or your postcode. This also helps with recovery if it is stolen and later found.

Always take your keys with you when you leave your motorbike, even for a short time. If you have security devices fitted, always use them.

If possible, try to leave your motorbike in specifically built parking spaces with stands or loops to secure it to. When not using your motorbike remember to use your security devices and, if possible, use a garage and consider using ground anchors. For more advice see the Home Office publication, ‘Steer clear of bike crime’.

http://www.homeoffic...BIKE-print.html

#2 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:46 pm

Motorbikes and push bikes are recovered on a regular basis by the police with offenders arrested. Sadly if these items are not marked up correctly some times its impossible to prove they are stolen and the offenders walk free. Reg plates are easily removed as are VIN plates. A grinder is a favourite tool as its used for stealing bikes and then defacing any stamped markings on the bike. Theres nothing worse for a bobby than knowing you have some one with a stolen motor but not being able to prove it.

#3 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:43 pm

Scumbag was found on the public highway with my stolen CCM, frame and engine number intact, despite its terrible state these identifying it as my stolen bike, let alone there were only 200 of that model made and half of them are in Germany. All they tried to do him for was 'Handling Stolen Goods' and he was still found not guilty, having said 'some bloke asked him to look at why it wouldn't start'.

The smashed out ignition might have been a good starting point for his diagnostics.

Thrilled with this result after all the poll tax, income tax, road tax, insurance tax, petrol tax, speeding fines etc etc over the years that I've contributed.

SelinaXT

*still a bit bitter about this can you tell*

EDIT: Not knocking the coppers on this one by the way - they were brilliant.

Edited by SelinaXT, 29 January 2010 - 06:47 pm.

Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:50 pm

You wouldn't need all these security measures if the thieves were threatened with having their hands chopped off ! Scumbags !

Bitter ? you bet I am.

There's very little deterrent, legally !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 DeerStalker

DeerStalker

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:34 am

Almax =best chains
Motrax Visha's = best disk lock
Smartwater = best method for proof of identity
2008 TDM900 (black) Givi 21's & topbox - Bagster/Baglux -heated grips - Zumo 550 - V Strom handguards - SW Motech mirror extenders and bar risers - R&G Bungs - Engine bars - Topsellerie seat - Tigerscreen oh and my other bikes are Harleys :)

Normally found loitering here www.therevcounter.com

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:01 pm

i've got a few smart water pens, could bring them to the next meet and mark inside of fairing panels etc if people would like

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:02 pm

18 year old TDM covered in road grime seems to be a pretty good deterrant to thieves biggrin.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:49 pm

The fact that Yamaha has not brought a TDM to the US in 16 years is actually a deterrent of sorts...
Excluding joyriders who don't care what they steal, there is no market for TDM's...
too easy to identify and no market for parts.

Sometimes getting screwed has an upside. rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#9 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:51 pm

Smart water is V good if applied correctly and is as individual as DNA. I dont know about other forces but over here the police dont make charge decisions on not guilty pleas the CPS do.

#10 JONNYBRAY

JONNYBRAY

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:08 pm

I have that many flat tyres from nails and such, that my TDM spends most of its the time with no wheels on it. 3 in a year.

It's a good security measure though

#11 Andy R

Andy R

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:32 am

Another vote for SmartWater here good.gif
www.myspace.com/andyrothers

#12 Gcclinux

Gcclinux

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:20 pm

I park in London everyday and touch wood nothing has happened so far.

I do have a S4 Datatool Alarm fitted and a big heavy chain around the front tire when I leave the bike at the road side. Maybe my luck but I have even forgoten to remove the GPS once and when i returned in the evening I was shocked seeing my GPS on the bike. Shocked I forgoten adn shocked no one nicked it.

Anyway lets hope my luck never runs out. rolleyes.gif
Honda Fireblade 900RR '99' (Red Bull - Blue & Red)
Yamaha Fazer 600 '02' (Black & Yellow)
Yamaha Fazer FZ6 '05' (Silver)
Yamaha TDM 900 '08' (Black)

Yamaha TDM 900 '12' (Gun Metal Gray)

#13 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:28 pm

Having had a well locked up TDM900 stolen in 2008 I gave a lot of thought to security....

There are two sorts of thieves; 1. Joy riders, who have limited means, are opportunists and will nick anything. 2. Pros who go equipped and have a network for disposal of the bike - whole for export or as parts through breakers and Evilbay etc. The first sort are local and often stupidly persistent. The pros are well equipped, well organised and efficient (don't I know it).

Who ever you are up against whatever you do should buy time, preferable away from the bike. We've all heard the horror stories of bikes being vandalised because the thieves failed to bust the locks. One poster on here got his house broken into for the chipped key and they took his lid and leathers into the bargain. So keeping them way is the first best defence. So with all this in mind and my own sorry experience I figured on this:

Keep the scum away from the bike as long as possible. So I really beefed up the shed, with a lining and bracing and built a serious t-bar lock across the doors. I also do without windows, to frustrate nosey scrotes. Yes it could be opened but it will take time, make a deal of noise and they'll be visible while doing it. Thing is once they are in the garage/shed they are out of sight and the noise won't attract attention.

2nd line of defence are the ground anchors and three Almax chains with quality padlocks as well as disc locks. I also take the seats off the bikes and keep them in the house. So even if they get the bikes, riding them won't be comfortable. All chain manufacturers make lots of claims but after a look at Almax's website I went for them. They can all be cut..... eventually but if you watch the Almax video some are clearly made of cheese.

Alarms are great as long as YOU are within earshot - you can't count on anyone else taking any notice - even friendly neighbours might not twig its yours, especially if you live somewhere like me where car and house alarms go off all the time. I have an alarm and for me its primary function is to deafen intruders, if it attracts the neighbours attention that's a bonus.

Trackers/immobilisers are all well and good but the bike has already gone, similarly datatag and smartwater - unless you'd really like to count on the thieves leaving your bike because it has smartwater etc. CCTV is useful - it may alert you to someone checking the lie of the land - but ultimately all only come into play once the bike has gone.

And my keys and the spares and bike paperwork are kept in a small safe that will take some finding, and looking for that means getting into the house - more time and more noise. And of course they don't know they looking for a safe.

Sure it's a bit of a pain to get a bike out - I don't commute on mine so it's not the end of the world and any security only works if you always use it, so always always always lock it up.

It's also worth bearing in mind if the scum really want it they will take it - the best you can do is try make it not worth the effort. I think I was unlucky with the TDM - it was a pro job but I have a suspicion they were anticipating something more tasty to be away with - not that they'd leave it having gone to the trouble of breaking in.

Be Lucky
Slarty

Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:59 pm

Ouch thats a whole lot of hassle to stop the oiks. Horrible that this happens.

If you can make your stuff look like complete scrat that can also help. I leaf me boots, helmet, socks, pants, clock, sheeps, sat nav and even yellow tang on me boike at Paignton boike night and unfortunately its all still there whenst I return.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,733 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:12 pm

Slarty, i to have an Almax chain which i use with a ground anchor, bike is kept outside on a council estate, but the locals know to leave well alone so dont anticipate any problems but ya never know, but having read this reminds me of a suggestion the fella at almax made when i called about buying the chain, he suggested a bird scarer using a blank shotgun cartridge, if your really concerened it could be a bonus as it can be connected to the bike quite discreetly, would give the buggers robbing ya bike a heart attack and a very good possibility somebody would call plod sharpish stating they heard gunshots biggrin.gif

Food for thought, but as you say if they want it they will get it.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:35 pm

http://www.henrykran...alarm_mine.html

You're looking for something like this?

#17 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:28 pm

I when to all this trouble because as well as not wanting another bike nicked the insurance company strongly hinted that if another one went I wouldn't get insurance at the address. Kind of concentrates the mind. It didn't actually cost that much - especially as Almax sent one wrong chain and didn't ask for it back when they sent the right one, And the locks came through a friend on a construction site job that was packing up- all top kit and keyed alike. The t-bar on the shed cost £50 worth of stainless steel and a few hours workshop time.

I did look at a blank firing device but I really liked the look of this: Bang!

Cleaning up would be a real pain but worth it as even the cops round here might find the multicoloured culprits rotflmmfao.gif

With anything like this you really need to be on the ball every time you open the shed mind. blink.gif

Slarty
Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#18 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:38 pm

If I had one of those alarm mines, I think I'd pack the blank cartridge with something like chili powder. Make their eyes water a bit.

#19 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:02 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Sat 3rd Jul 2010, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I had one of those alarm mines, I think I'd pack the blank cartridge with something like chili powder. Make their eyes water a bit.

i like your thinking good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#20 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:17 pm

Puppy sleeps in the garage...

I recently read over here that the theft of new Subaru's has plummeted due to them all being data dotted. I was considering this option if I ever end up with a more main stream bike. Most of them are pinched for parts over here.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 03 July 2010 - 10:18 pm.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users