#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:43 pm

Okeedokee, what are we using to help get rid of the dreaded numb bum ?  No Cliff, I don't want ya rubbing sudocreme on my butt thanks. ;)

I'm getting some dog bones to lower the seat height so's I can then fit an Airhawk, or similar, but much less expensive, alternative.

I'm good for about 1 hour before I'm having to stand on the pegs, which isn't long enough really.  Ideally, I'd be happy if I could manage 1.5 - 2 hours.

I was reading about a seat pad that's filled withbuckwheat, will go see if I can find it.  Think it costs around £25. 

http://www.bumbags4b...30_5788757.aspx

Also, not sure if a sheepskin cover would help, although they do add some comfort.  Not fussed about a gel pad insert either.

Thought about Pete7's solution of wearing cycling shorts butt, unsure as to how you go about cleaning them if you're on a tour ?  Also, don't things get a bit sweaty wearing them every day for 2 weeks ? :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:15 pm

Understand your misgivings about spending shed loads on airhawk, but I was seduced into buying the touratech version from Infinity at the NEC...I was sooooo easy. Anyroad up...used it for a week down to Millau and it was fan dabby dozy!! Just sayin'.......
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:39 pm

The best thing for a numb bumu.... Time on the boike! Really during the tour tings will just get easier.

Alternatives to this I favour:

Sheepskin
Airdork

I have both and you are welcome to borrow both for yes tour!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:52 pm

Would be nice if things did get easier but it still means suffering up to that point, which might take 2 weeks. :lol:

Thanks for the offer Daps, I'll see how I get on lowering the seat height and get back to ya.  Does the airdork raise the seat height a lot ? :unsure2:

I could try eating more cake :cake eating:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:06 pm

Only thing that works for me is an airhawk, make sure you hardly inflate it at all. Tried gel pad, cycling shorts and different seat, get the airhawk, you'll be glad you did!

Edited by chrisr, 02 August 2016 - 04:09 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:11 pm

Nah doesn't raise it a helluva lot. As cwis says ewe dont need not hardly no air innit.

Forgot to mention. I give cycling shorts the thumbs up fur treaderin but the thumbs down fur boike touring. Its only good for betty. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:12 pm

Bead seat pad for me :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#8 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:18 pm

My solution was to cut the seat to suit my requirements. I find that a flat seat ports a lot of stress on my lower back so I cut mine low and narrow at the front. It moves the centre of gravity forward and down, stabilising the front mid corner and of course rotating your hips meaning the weight is now in the neutral zone but not so far as to be a nut cracker.
Attached File  20160529_105540.jpg   101.94KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20160529_104100.jpg   152.01KB   0 downloads
Attached File  20160529_130845.jpg   150.84KB   0 downloads

Edited by celticbiker, 02 August 2016 - 04:27 pm.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:34 pm

Don't want the ol' Bettys so cycle shorts are out.

Bead seat might be an inexpensive option, will look into them.

Don't really want to start carving the seat up Steve, I'll prolly be selling the bike after the trip.

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:01 pm

Timely post. I just received my car bead seat today and am in the process of chopping and sewing some ties to it to secure it. I paid £9,a bike specific one is much dearer. Lots of people swear by them, so for the price of a takeaway it's worth a try.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d=1406145254010

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,732 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:02 pm

Looks like your running out of options matey, now where's the sudacreme then...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:13 pm

Timely post. I just received my car bead seat today and am in the process of chopping and sewing some ties to it to secure it. I paid £9,a bike specific one is much dearer. Lots of people swear by them, so for the price of a takeaway it's worth a try.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d=1406145254010

Keep us posted Muddy, be interested to see how you get on.

Looks like your running out of options matey, now where's the sudacreme then...

Suddenly, a numb bum don't seem too bad. :P

#13 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:22 pm

I have always changed the seat on my bikes. I aim for a flat, horizontal seat narrow at the front. The numbness on the TDM for me was caused by the upward tilt at the rear which scrunched up my fat. I try to get my weight carried on my 'sit' bones. But that means different padding and getting out the carving knife, Studley.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#14 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:44 pm

What aboot this then. I got nowt planned. Borry the airhawk?
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:52 pm

Well, thanks for all the suggestions and offers of a borrow peeps. Think I might have a solution, one that involves a bike ride to Nuneaton no less. :)

#16 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 889 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:31 pm

The problem must be really really bad if the solution involves a bike ride to Nuneaton, they won't just stop at nicking frame bungs there :P

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:24 am

So, no hand signals whilst wearing a watch then ? :unsure2:

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:08 am

What year's your niner Studders?  At some point they changed the seat design on them slightly, my 2009 is way more comfortable than Tony's older model.

I tried an air hawk and couldn't get on with it, I just didn't feel stable in the seat. Also used a sheepskin which wasn't bad.

As Dappers says though, time in the saddle is the best thing.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,388 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:00 am

What year's your niner Studders?  At some point they changed the seat design on them slightly, my 2009 is way more comfortable than Tony's older model.

I tried an air hawk and couldn't get on with it, I just didn't feel stable in the seat. Also used a sheepskin which wasn't bad.

As Dappers says though, time in the saddle is the best thing.

FWIW  Just back from a quick trip to CZ - on test - a Saddlemen gel pad and an Airhawk Cruiser Medium Mk2 both of which I was able to compare with previous trips using my Allyn air seat. Verdict Airhawk best by about 30mins ish, but not as stable as Allyn, and a toss-up, comfort/duration wise, between Allyn & Sadllemen.

I've tried the gel on and under the seat cover & under is best (not a cut out seat, just laid on an recovered).

None are spectacularly good. All are hot so expect Betty Swollocks, she'll be along anyway in ES.

As highlighted in ChrisG post.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:21 am

I think it was AliG had a thick mesh seat cover he'd put on over the standard one, reckoned it was comfortable and allowed a bit of airflow.  I bought one  but not got round to fitting it yet as it needs to be stretched a but and stapled on.

http://www.ebay.co.u...OL AIR&_sacat=0

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users