chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:59 am

I found it only makes you feel unstable with too much air in

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:42 am

Mine's a 2002 model Chris.  Whilst I did suffer numb bum using the mk1 it wasn't as bad as when I'm on the 9'er, must be the shape of the seat to some degree.  I'm also reaching further forward for the bars which might mean my ass 'aint in the best position and is cutting off some blood circulation.  It also puts a lot of strain on my palms/wrists, gotta plan for this though. :)

I'm hoping the airhawk will help me out on the blast to Portsmouth and the return blast up through France to Calais and back home, where I expect the numb bum to be at its worst.  That said, I've no idea of how many miles we'll be doing or stops we'll be having on the tour so might be needing it for all the trip.

It's a 75 mile (1hr 30min) blast down the M1 to Nuneaton so the return journey will give me good idea if it's working.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:12 am

I think it was AliG had a thick mesh seat cover he'd put on over the standard one, reckoned it was comfortable and allowed a bit of airflow.  I bought one  but not got round to fitting it yet as it needs to be stretched a but and stapled on.

http://www.ebay.co.u...OL AIR&_sacat=0

Yes, twas I, Chris. It is still on my white niner and now that I have ridden the 2012 black one, I realise the difference it makes. Will be ordering another one soon. Apart from allowing a bit of airflow and letting water run off in the rain, I think there is a little bit of cushioning too. One point to note, is go for the extra large and staple rather than use the velcro supplied. It was impossible to get a perfect finish with the velcro using the large. There were rucks and ripples, which disappeared when I stapled it and it fits perfectly on the bike. Might have been ok if I had got the XL. It is also good for hiding any tears you might have on the seat too, which mine had.

Ali

Edited by AliG, 03 August 2016 - 10:29 am.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#24 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:26 am

Mine's a 2002 model Chris.  Whilst I did suffer numb bum using the mk1 it wasn't as bad as when I'm on the 9'er, must be the shape of the seat to some degree.  I'm also reaching further forward for the bars which might mean my ass 'aint in the best position and is cutting off some blood circulation.  It also puts a lot of strain on my palms/wrists, gotta plan for this though. :)

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a seat from a newer model to see if you find it more comfortable then.  I experimented with bar risers when I first got my 900 as it felt like I was stretching a bit more to the bars after the Mk1 but ended up taking them off again and find the standard position quite comfortable now.

It's a 75 mile (1hr 30min) blast down the M1 to Nuneaton so the return journey will give me good idea if it's working.

You know it's got 1.5 more gears than your Mk1? :P

Edited by ChrisG, 03 August 2016 - 10:27 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:33 am

:lol:  Yes I do.  Nothing wasted when they designed the mk1. :D  

I'll prolly be selling the 9'er after the trip so buying a different seat isn't gonna happen.  Had a sit on Kelpie's lovely 9'er, lower seat and bar risers felt really comfy.  You must have really long arms Chris. :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:21 am

:lol:  Yes I do.  Nothing wasted when they designed the mk1. :D  

I'll prolly be selling the 9'er after the trip so buying a different seat isn't gonna happen.  Had a sit on Kelpie's lovely 9'er, lower seat and bar risers felt really comfy.  You must have really long arms Chris. :P

I've got a set of up and back bar risers if you want to try them. Can post to you right away and they only take 5 mins to fit. I found them ok with the standard bars, which gave me sore wrists, but when I fitted the renthals, I have developed an ache in the shoulders, so have taken them off.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#27 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:22 pm

Had a pootle down to Nuneaton today to pick up an Airhawk. Big thanks to Matt101 for the donation. :drinks:  Great to see you again Matt, even if it was a brief meeting.

Deffo an improvement, fitted the Airhawk for the return journey of 75 miles and pleased to report no serious numb bum,  although my ass was getting very warm indeed.  That said, my troos aren't exactly summer gear and it's been a warm day today.  Will have a fettle with it but I'm pleased with the results so far. :)

#28 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,732 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:24 pm

Halleloooooola  :good: nice gel strap on ya wrist and that's you sorted  :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:26 pm

My goofy toe's playing up again. :lol:

#30 dablik

dablik

• 10,732 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:32 pm

Well your off to warmer climes, jesus sandals will do  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#31 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:11 pm

Timely post. I just received my car bead seat today and am in the process of chopping and sewing some ties to it to secure it. I paid £9,a bike specific one is much dearer. Lots of people swear by them, so for the price of a takeaway it's worth a try.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d=1406145254010

A resounding success. Hard to say why, it's not that it feels initially that comfortable. But when you're a 9er rider and you've travelled 200 miles and you haven't thought about your bum (or anyone else's for that matter) then you've got a solution of sorts. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#32 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:25 pm

A resounding success. Hard to say why, it's not that it feels initially that comfortable. But when you're a 9er rider and you've travelled 200 miles and you haven't thought about your bum (or anyone else's for that matter) then you've got a solution of sorts. 

Original link doesn't work anymore as it was to the ordered item, but here's the item link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201263687506

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#33 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:02 pm

Original link doesn't work anymore as it was to the ordered item, but here's the item link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201263687506

Ah, yes. Cheers. By the way, if you've got an hour or two in the evening, you can make two seat pads out of the car cover. I used elasticated cord and threaded it through the outside beads and had 4 loops to attach it under the seat. Cheap numb bum solver, if it works for you.  

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#34 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:47 pm

Used the airhawk whilst on the euro trip and it worked. :D  Especially when doing the long slog days.  Using it whilst riding the hairpins tended to squash the family jewels though, esp. the downhill runs.  Also, the 9'er seat seems to push you towards the tank which doesn't help.

I'm also of the opinion that lotsof/frequent time in the saddle also reduces numb bum.  :good:

#35 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:22 am

Makes me wonder how an Airhawk would be if under the seat cover. Might keep some sort of shape better. If you could still inflate it.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#36 dablik

dablik

• 10,732 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:46 am

Makes me wonder how an Airhawk would be if under the seat cover. Might keep some sort of shape better. If you could still inflate it.

Good idea actually and very do-able i suspect, also would save the hassle of having to remove it..

#37 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:11 pm

Ah, yes. Cheers. By the way, if you've got an hour or two in the evening, you can make two seat pads out of the car cover. I used elasticated cord and threaded it through the outside beads and had 4 loops to attach it under the seat. Cheap numb bum solver, if it works for you.  

I've had one for years, use some silicone adhesive on the end of row ones for security

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#38 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:00 pm

Well for some reason, probably placebo, the success didn't last with the beads. Maybe because on this tour I'm doing longer stretches in the saddle, some days as much as 9 hours.

Those distances are also making the handlebars excruciatingly painful. Renthals and a Airhawk I think when I get back.

#39 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:41 pm

Airhawk is great. I got the sw motech one with the wiiide fitting strap instead of the pair of knicker elastic ones..always been all day comfy......BUT......on a recent week long trip, my derrier was in agony after an hour each day!! Boney arse SWMBO reckons.....bring on the cake!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#40 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:44 pm

Airhawk was invaluable on the long days in the saddle, stopped the numb bum but we were all standing on the pegs at some point to renew the blood supply. :lol:  The downhill switchbacks also got the seat moving forward and squashing the family jewels a few times so make sure it's well strapped to the bike if you're going down cols.  Perfect for the long motorway runs though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users