dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:44 pm

Sorry, more dappers DIY. :-)

Have had a quick read and an external boiler seems loike a good plan to save space and vent holes? Has anyone gok wan that can pass on some insight?

Ta.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:19 pm

If you get stuck I can give you the farther in laws number, he's a fount of knowledge re oil things oil fired. But e do like a chatter.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:24 pm

Cheers bondy that sounds useful. :thumbsup:

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:15 pm

Is Guiness down your way for rugby shenanigans this week then Bondy ?

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#5 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:11 pm

Mine is in the garage, oil fired and with an internal hot water tank. Huge.  Warms the garage from its heat loss.  That would have been heat into the house if the boiler was internal.  So, my comment is, unless the external boiler's thermal efficiency is high enough over an internal one, you'll spend more money in fuel costs.

Then there is the future gas price / oil price thing.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:19 pm

Thanks hombre. I dont need to worry about gas cous they dunt ave it in the home of Morris dancin. :-)

Think oil be havin a chin wag wid bondys farter in law.

#7 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:18 pm

my father went for one of these Ecodan Heat pumps and the government even give him some money each quarter (about £600 per annum)

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#8 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:09 pm

Dappers I take it you currently have an Internal wall hung boiler? and you fancy and external combi? Externals are Ok if it's a Worcester greenstar heatslave 2  with a 5 year warranty, all the other stuff is Shoite, the only things you need out of the house will be, Mains supply from the Programmer/stat etc, flow and return heating pipes (22mm) and a cold water mains feed (15mm) so not a lot of holes in the wall, the bonus of an external, is no noise or smell, but the downside is if it locks out ( And they do occasionally) you won't realise until you.ve no water, or the house goes cold, then you have to go outside to re-set it! then there's the system pressure to keep an eye on as well and again the pressure will drop and the guage is within the boiler casing and you have to take the front door off to see it and some times take the top panel off to top it up, depending on where the installer has fitted it :) all great fun on a pissing wet night by torchlight :badgerrock: Personally I would go to great lengths to have it indoors, the new boilers are very quiet and a lot of people havent a clue what attention these combi boilers need to keep them happy I deal with them on a daily basis and it's all I do is oil boilers and Aga cookers for my sins ;) as for the green energy camp...any incentives being given by Tarrifs by the goverment can be reduced at short notice!

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:32 pm

Thanks chaps.

Currently have no boiler as back of house demolished and greenstar heatslave 12/18 disconnected. This was internal floor unit and apparently not the best of the greenstars?

Since we are starting with a blank slate, I was wondering about which position of boiler in/out was bestest as its all possible at the moment since every part including oil tank can be moved!!

Its the space saving inside that seemed like a bonus but there is room, so mayhaps stick to inside.

Any advice on new tank jono. Currently on ye olde metal green rust bucket with no off button. :-)

#10 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:49 pm

Same again Dappers :good: I'm just in the process of ordering one for myself, a very cheap replacement would be the same single skin steel tank again from these poeple https://www.totaltanks.co.uk/45/steel-tanks.html 

This would be subject to a risk assessment.......http://www.southernt... Assessment.pdf

If you wake up one morning and feel "Competent" fill the form in and if you can tick all the "No" column then it's game on for a single skin tank! :badgerrock:

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:22 pm

Does heating oil mind a dreg of tractor enjun oil? I have 300 ish litres to drain and have acquired lots of tratter barrels. :-)

Thanks for info on tank. I will have a read up on that.

Think I am going for heatstar 18/25 boiler. Old one dubious and I need side vent which old 12/18 isn't!

#12 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:42 pm

Oil should stay in the bottom...you never want the two to mix.....unless you want a sooted new boiler!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users