#1 JerryS

JerryS

Carpe Regular

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:21 pm

Has anyone had their Daytona boots resoled by the factory or elsewhere? I've got a pair which must be 15 years old (at least) and the left boot doesn't have much grip - causing my foot to slip. This has caused a few interesting moments recently when manoeuvring the bike around. If I get them sent back to Germany I will be bootless for about 6 weeks (from what I've read on the internet) so I was wondering about getting something done locally - maybe just a patch over the worst affected bit and then I'll send them off to be done properly later. Anybody else done something similar?

Alternatively I could bite the bullet and get something else although, apart from the sole, their is plenty of life in them yet, I would like to give Altbergs a try, but I'd have to wait for those as (IIRC) they are mostly made to order, except the Hoggs which are off the shelf, so it will probably be Hoggs ..  Sizing wise, should I go with my normal shoe size (11) or go up half a size?

Alternatively, feel free to recommend something else  :)

Fuel Cans, Baglux tank cover, Givi E21 panniers, Givi Flow top box, Yamaha centre stand, Garmin Zumo SatNav,, Givi engine bars, Barkbuster S1 handguards, Powerbronze Fender Extender and Headlight guards.

#2 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:08 pm

.....after a couple of years of patient detective work, (climbing boot re-solers , etc.) I managed to get my (Sidi) boots resoled with something much more grippy (my problem, worn soles coupled with short legs, encountering diesel slicks = dropped bike (twice)

.....the magic word is 'Vibram'.......an Italian manufacturer of replacement soles (various), from colourful for hipsters to
v.rugged for climbers, with (in theory) a wide variety of 'tread patterns'to chose from.

If you google them in UK you should find that they have an 'Academy' near-ish to you......staffed by skilled guys who will be
confident that they can fit the soles to your boots.......

......but (warning!) it might not be straightforward, as, in my experience, getting the pattern that you want in your size might
prove a problem. (central supply in uk were not co-operative). In my case the local Academy guys were v.helpful and were able to supply and fit a grippy sole in my size......possibly not the pattern I might have chosen, but still I'm v.happy........and now much more confident at the notion of putting my foot down.

Jiff.

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:17 am

FYI
Alberg don't use Goretex anymore.
See their website for more information.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:15 am

I had a pair of Daytona boots they lasted a long time and I had them resoled under warranty.

Great boots.

I have 2 pairs of Altbergs.

One pair from 2001 not waterproof but very very good. I use these for marshalling on track.

I can ride to the circuit marshall all day ride home and still my feet feel good.

One pair from 2008 waterproof and still going strong.

I can wear them all day and still be comfortable 300% recommend them.

Go half size bigger for socks

Edited by akirasan, 25 May 2017 - 09:18 am.

#5 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:55 am

Was gonna buy Hoggs, but was put off by the price. I ended up buying Austrian Bundesheer combat boots. Not tried them in the wet yet, but they're very sturdy, well made and van be resoled.
https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00CMQUCMG

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#6 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:38 am

Yes they are a lot of money but they are very comfortable and hard wearing.

They will last years and are not just bike specific.

A friend has had 3 crashes and boot still in one piece only the odd scrape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users