#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:42 pm

Following 5 lads from Slovenia , all on fully laden GS1200s, through the bonkers, twisty roads of Andorra. Now I know I'm no Rossi, he knows more chords than me, but I followed them riding as hard as I could and they must've been toying with me, because after a while they must've got bored and just took off. I was just a dot in their wing mirrors.

The thing is I've never ridden one and while I was still in range I was studying how beautifully the bikes tracked. Not a wobble, it all looked almost effortless. I've got to try one just to find out if they were simply much better riders than me or the GS handles as good as it looks.

Apologies for any offence caused. Nah, not really😎

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:11 pm

Them GS watercooled jobbies can get a real lick on Muddy and the standard GS is faster than a 9'er imho.  They do look effortless when you're following one though, looks like they're on rails with their philanthropic suspenders.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:33 pm

You think the GS's are good .....You should try the S1000's  :badgerrock:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,388 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:42 pm

GS handles well and goes well too

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:50 pm

I know - even the old airheads handle well 

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
another '81 XT250
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#6 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:23 pm

Would be the best bike in the world...................If they were better built :)

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#7 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:35 pm

The old ones are  :good:

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:38 pm

I've already noticed that continental riders are faster on twisty roads... :P

top_640.png

#9 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:28 am

​Bolloxs !

​ALL BM fookinW's  are still a pile of shite ridden by a bunch of sheep, sold on a idea and tied in to corporate finance and scare mongering.

​Was talking to a rich fooker on Saturday night and he sneered at me mentioning riding a 900 !  Cannot wait to get out and have a ride with him on his triple black. They have ran out of plastic accessories to sell new models so they are painting them three times.... :huh:

Should just call it 50 shades of Shite !

That's my opinion,

Cheers, Ivan

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,428 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:31 am

:lol:  :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:07 am

Following 5 lads from Slovenia , all on fully laden GS1200s, through the bonkers, twisty roads of Andorra. Now I know I'm no Rossi, he knows more chords than me, but I followed them riding as hard as I could and they must've been toying with me, because after a while they must've got bored and just took off. I was just a dot in their wing mirrors.
The thing is I've never ridden one and while I was still in range I was studying how beautifully the bikes tracked. Not a wobble, it all looked almost effortless. I've got to try one just to find out if they were simply much better riders than me or the GS handles as good as it looks.
Apologies for any offence caused. Nah, not really

Might be age fella. I had a similar experience last autumn in the Pyrenees following 3 Swiss guys on a variety of "adventure" style bikes. I managed well enough but they appeared more effortless. They stopped. I stopped for a chinwag. All in their twenties. I'm 60 and more concerned with mortality. I can remember a more reckless me charging hard through corners when I couldn't see the exit. All the above presumes you're no spring chicken of course....

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:27 am

​Bolloxs !

​ALL BM fookinW's  are still a pile of shite ridden by a bunch of sheep, sold on a idea and tied in to corporate finance and scare mongering.

​Was talking to a rich fooker on Saturday night and he sneered at me mentioning riding a 900 !  Cannot wait to get out and have a ride with him on his triple black. They have ran out of plastic accessories to sell new models so they are painting them three times.... :huh:

That's my opinion,
Cheers, Ivan

Unusual for you to have an opinion on this Ivan!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:29 am

Doddy, the owner of the GS watercooled on our euro tour, was at pains to say that the main reason he was faster than us was because of the bike.  Personally, I think he was beeing far too gracious to us on our TDM's and he was actually a very good rider, but the bike certainly added to his speedability, :)  especially on the fast winding stretches of the N-260 where I was going about 90-100mph and he just disappeared. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:38 pm

At least the post triggered Ivan out of Carpe retirement😀

Yesterday I met a Russian on a Beemer in Fundao, Portugal. Really friendly and polite, not a trace of snobbishness. I think it's a certain type of middle-class GS owner who buy them to signal status who mar the rest. A bunch of them pulled up next to me a couple of days ago and I may have well been invisible. What dick heads is all I can say. Maybe all the sticking plasters holding the plastics together was too oinkish for them.

@Apache
You're probably right. That said read my other post in Keep it On the Black Stuff.

Edited by muddy, 14 June 2017 - 01:44 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,733 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:21 pm

Yes well you hit it on the head Len re the status symbol, thankfully the minority eh, maybe not according to Ivan's world :lol:  and i have 1st hand experience of BMW ownership bods after spending a cupla days cuddling one of em from behind  ;) (only cos he insisted) not many bikes could have coped with a big fat fook and a smaller one plus 2 lots of bike luggage, in the region of 200+ kilos, on a GSA this was, i've always admired them and lusted but after that particular little adventure would have one in a heartbeat, realistically though the price is to deep for my pockets even at second hand prices, just cant stretch that far due to other commitments, gonna buy a poster for me bedroom wall instead.

Of course it would sit alongside me lubberley TDM.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:15 pm

At least the post triggered Ivan out of Carpe retirement

Yesterday I met a Russian on a Beemer in Fundao, Portugal. Really friendly and polite, not a trace of snobbishness. I think it's a certain type of middle-class GS owner who buy them to signal status who mar the rest. A bunch of them pulled up next to me a couple of days ago and I may have well been invisible. What dick heads is all I can say. Maybe all the sticking plasters holding the plastics together was too oinkish for them.

@Apache
You're probably right. That said read my other post in Keep it On the Black Stuff.

You are not wrong Len. I was sitting in a cafe in the middle of nowhere in Argentina having lunch when 4 beemers rolled up, each two up. They walked in and came straight over to say hello having seen our little Zanella 250s parked outside. Turned out they were from Brazil heading to Chile. They even gave us some stickers for our bikes from their club in Brazil. They were so friendly and wanted to know how we were getting on with our little bikes. When I told them how far we had come and where we were headed they actually bowed with respect.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#17 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:05 pm

Yes well you hit it on the head Len re the status symbol, thankfully the minority eh, maybe not according to Ivan's world :lol:  and i have 1st hand experience of BMW ownership bods after spending a cupla days cuddling one of em from behind  ;) (only cos he insisted) not many bikes could have coped with a big fat fook and a smaller one plus 2 lots of bike luggage, in the region of 200+ kilos, on a GSA this was, i've always admired them and lusted but after that particular little adventure would have one in a heartbeat, realistically though the price is to deep for my pockets even at second hand prices, just cant stretch that far due to other commitments, gonna buy a poster for me bedroom wall instead.

Of course it would sit alongside me lubberley TDM.

I know where there's a lovely sorted GS going for a tad over £3K Cliff  :good:

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#18 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:27 pm

​Bolloxs !

That's my opinion,

Cheers, Ivan

Come on Ivan. Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#19 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:11 am

Which one is that Mick?

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,733 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:29 am

I know where there's a lovely sorted GS going for a tad over £3K Cliff  :good:

Thanks Mick, but i'm far too stretched to even consider it fella, plus i also have money into this mk1 now so she's a keeper and the only way i could recooperate that money would be to break the bike, hope i can try the GS route at some point though.. it's a shame really as this year would of been a perfect time for a change.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users