2136 replies to this topic

#41 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:59 am

Welcome to Carpe, there are more 850 guru's that you can shake a stick at here (mind you some need a bit of stick shaking as well rolleyes.gif ), I am not one but I do know a thing or two about elec-trikery. Have fun with the rebuild and stay safe.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#42 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:13 am

Welcome Matt.....hrumph.

Anyways, I cobbled together an old mkI a year or two back and would be happy to mock, err I mean help with any questions.

Good luck with it.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#43 jaye

jaye

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:03 pm

Hiya

Got my 900 TDM in March after 3 years of an '02 Fazer 600, so getting used to it now. It's brilliantly comfortable, and I'm looking forward to a trip to Germany in a couple of weeks.

What a great site! The answers to all the questions I had are already here somewhere, and the air box mod is top of the list.

Cheers

Judy

#44 bobalob5

bobalob5

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:20 pm

live long and prosper

Bob

#45 Birdman

Birdman

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:00 am

Hello
Just traded my trusty Transalp in for a 2006 Silver 900A very pleased today (Saturday) I will in the garage fitting Sat Nav, Starcom, Scott oiler and maybe looking at the suspension settings (bit stiff), on Sunday out for a spin, Monday (UK Holiday) fit SW motec rack and pannier holders.
Tim AKA Birdman

#46 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:17 am

QUOTE(Birdman @ Sat 26th May 2007, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello
Just traded my trusty Transalp in for a 2006 Silver 900A very pleased today (Saturday) I will in the garage fitting Sat Nav, Starcom, Scott oiler and maybe looking at the suspension settings (bit stiff), on Sunday out for a spin, Monday (UK Holiday) fit SW motec rack and pannier holders.
Tim AKA Birdman

Hi Tim, and welcome. yahoo.gif Followed a similar history to me, from Tranny to TDM, in my case mainly to gain better stability on m'way commute, for virtually the same weight. Also, the look of it began to bother me, and the tacky frame and exhausts. What motivated you?

We've had so many new members of late - seems to be gathering pace. good.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#47 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:43 am

Welcome to Carpe, Tim I know you will enjoy your new bike it's very difficult not to. good.gif

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 26th May 2007, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must be due to the excellent work of the PR Dept. doubtfull.gif

Edited by Landy, 26 May 2007 - 11:39 am.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#48 dbninja

dbninja

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:22 am

Big WELCOME
to the mad house too

Jaye and Birdman

hope you have miles of smiles on yer shiny new TDM's ....... i'm on my second one! and i aint ever had two the same of anything! good.gif

dbn
"I dont bleat with the other sheep! ... I ride a GS1150"

#49 Birdman

Birdman

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:02 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 26th May 2007, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Tim, and welcome. yahoo.gif Followed a similar history to me, from Tranny to TDM, in my case mainly to gain better stability on m'way commute, for virtually the same weight. Also, the look of it began to bother me, and the tacky frame and exhausts. What motivated you?

Needed something with a bit more power - particularly two up with luggage and was looking at Tigers, BMW GS, saw the TDM one test ride later I was sold on it.
Plus a 2006 TDM900A with 4000 miles on the clock at £4400 plus £2400 trade in on the Transalp was a deal I couldn't refuse.
Tim

#50 xs2jammu

xs2jammu

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 55 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:57 pm

Hi, I´m 48 year old guy from southern Finland and I have 4 bikes at the moment now. Yamaha XS2 -73, Yamaha TX750 -73, Yamaha TDM 900 -06/07 (new) and Montesa Cota 349 -79. My first bike was a Honda XL250 in late 70teens, then I had Zündapp DB201, Yamaha R5, Yamaha YGS-1 sport, Yamaha XJ650, Yamaha XJ900F, Yamaha XJ900S, BMW R1100RT, Zündapp KS175. Every summer I travel somewhere with my bike, often to Norway. This summer I`m going to Germany via Sweden and Denmark.

Here´s some my photos: Visit My Website and Photos

#51 Guest_Kav_*

Guest_Kav_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:59 pm

Hi All

I'm so glad to have found an active TDM forum - I was beginning to think such a thing didn't exist.

I bought my TDM 900 last August and I love her to bits. I'm in the process of doing some upgrades and the next fix on the list is going to be the air intake flap adjustment; sounds brilliant. So far, I've fitted:
  1. Beowulf cans
  2. Givi rack and 52 litre topbox
  3. Givi pannier racks
  4. 12v d.c. power socket
  5. Sat nav mount
  6. Digital gear indicator
  7. Scottoiler
  8. Louder horn
  9. PIAA dipped and main beam bulbs
I'd be really interested to get your thoughts and opinions on whether or not Power Commanders are a good option for TDMs. As I understand it, they benefit bikes with non-standards cans and air filters but the map has to be specific for certain kit e.g. Scorpion cans, O2 sensor disconnected.

Here's a couple of pictures for you:

Hope to meet up soon. I live near Devizes in Wiltshire so if you fancy a rideout sometime, give me a shout.

Cheers
Kav

#52 dbninja

dbninja

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:32 pm

Kav

biggest carpe WELCOME to Carpe TDM

your bike looks waaaaaay cool in the all Black! sounds like you are racking up all the right bits n pieces for it too good.gif

help with the power commander will be along soon i'm sure

dbn

Edited by dbninja, 03 June 2007 - 09:32 pm.

"I dont bleat with the other sheep! ... I ride a GS1150"

#53 Wrant

Wrant

sticking around

• 37 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:47 pm

Kav

Which screen is that and how is it ? If it is good how tall are you?

Wrant

#54 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:25 pm

Welcome Kav and xs2jammu smile.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#55 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:55 am

QUOTE(Kav @ Sun 3rd Jun 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope to meet up soon. I live near Devizes in Wiltshire so if you fancy a rideout sometime, give me a shout.

Yay - welcome from a fellow "blackie"! yahoo.gif Quite a few of us now.

I'm not so far away so maybe look you up soonish

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#56 Guest_Kav_*

Guest_Kav_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:32 am

Thanks all! good.gif

Wrant - as far as I can tell, it's a stock Yamaha item. I'm 6ft tall and it's OK but I do tilt my head down a bit at higher speeds to stop the wind breaking over the top of my helmet. I'm tempted to try the Vario deflector to see if it improves things.

Pict - I like the look of your belly-pan; that might have to be the next purchase. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Kav

#57 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:04 am

QUOTE(Kav @ Mon 4th Jun 2007, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pict - I like the look of your belly-pan.

Thanks - it took years to groom this shape! rolleyes.gif

It's from Powerbronze. Personally I think there are better-looking ones. NB it's not fully protective underneath - the centre is open. I also added the s/s front mesh - I think they now come fitted with something similar - and drilled a couple of drain holes at the lowest point.

QUOTE(Wrant @ Sun 3rd Jun 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kav

Which screen is that and how is it ? If it is good how tall are you?

Wrant

Looks like a Yamaha +45cm touring screen?

#58 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:05 pm

Cheers
Kav

MarkyMark = the Wootton Bassett TDM massive

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#59 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:06 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Sat 26th May 2007, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must be due to the excellent work of the PR Dept. doubtfull.gif

Kind, but over-generous - things are growing by themselves, prob. 'cos the world is catching up with the TDM at last.

On the PR front, somebody posted a note on Carpe recently to say that Yamahahaha are including the TDM in their demo/trial ride programme this summer? Must drop them a line of appreciation - there's nothing like a bit of encouragement.May even ask a Japanese frend to help direct one to Nippon HQ Marketing rather than just the UK sales dept.. Lots could be done, if I could just wake up and get organised.

#60 Guest_Kav_*

Guest_Kav_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:15 pm

yahoo.gif LOL at Pict! I too have a sylph-like figure (not). It'd be good to hook up at some point.

Look forward to seeing you MarkyMark. I ride out with these guys sometimes - good bunch: www.wiltshireriders.co.uk

Cheers
Kav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users