• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:46 pm

Hi all, Im looking to replace the cam chain tensioner on my 1999 4TX. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where to buy one from? Im struggling to locate one, ideally a new one
Thanks

#2 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:56 pm

If you're not in a desperate hurry for it, try here

www.megazip.net

Got one for my 900 from them at about half the UK price - took 6 weeks to arrive though.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:55 am

GNMoto sell them but they're not cheap at 165 euros +p&p.  https://www.gn-moto....-trxxtz750.html

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:37 am

Thanks for the replies, I didnt realise how expensive they are. What do we think of these ones?
https://www.ebay.co....tm/264953341676

#5 Fandango

Fandango

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:53 am

£30 vs £500 for a new engine.  They may well be fine but for such a critical item i would personally use a trusted source and not a random ebayer with no come back if the part fails.

Your call.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:16 am

Wassup with existing tensioner DJ?

There is nothing wrong with the 850 design (unlike 9er).

Manual tensioner.. . Don't see why not. Would want it in my mittens to make sure well made but not much to go wrong, bolt, lock nut, plate. There is an art to setting them though.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:58 pm

It just sounds a little clicky really and is getting slightly worse. It could be the valves, I dont think its the header pipes as Ive checked them and I thought of doing the CCT first to rule that out

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:12 pm

The 850 tensioner goes up in steps...so it will get a bit noisy afore the next step.

What miles does yer boike have?

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:19 pm

Off the top of my head its around 35k

#10 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:51 pm

The way it's designed if the spring fails the tensioner maintains its tension due to the ratchet.
One the VTR is the spring fails Bang that's it. That why most owners change to manual ones with a chain defection of 7mm or by ear if your brave or skilled enough.
Nothing to go wrong with manuals as long as the locknuts are secure.
There will be people with alot more experience than me. But if the OEM tensioner is almost fully extended the chain would need changing and the tensioner reset.
My take on things

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:16 pm

That don't sound loike the number of moiles to reach the end of adjustment DJ. And even if it were, a new tensioner won't help ewe none anyways.

Further investigation required DJ.

#12 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:50 pm

Fair enough. Maybe Ill look towards valve clearances then. To be honest, having replaced a CCT on a different bike, I wasnt expecting it to be as expensive as some of them are, so my thinking was to replace if it wasnt too much money and wasnt a big job to do

#13 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:17 pm

If you do the valve clearances and go further replacing shims the cct will come out. You will see the fail safe design. My understanding is that as wear occurs gaps close and the bike should become less noisy.
It maybe just a case of normal noise, observed whilst the bike is stationary and no helmet.
Noise good, no noise bad.
Check the valve and replace shims as required. Follow the guide here, I did and survived!!!
Others with more experience will no doubt advise.

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:03 pm

Crack the cct mounting bolts off a turn and retighten, if it's getting ready to click another notch that will make it happen, don't go too far though or it'll over tension the chain.

I agree 35k miles is nowhere near enough to wear out a camchain or tensioner and the Mk2a has a good design.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:21 am

Imho, the camchain noise is more rattly than it is clicky when the tensioner is about ready to pop out a further notch.  Does the clicky noise change when the engine warms up ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:43 pm

The noise is more noticeable when Im riding the bike rather than on tickover, and more so when Im accelerating

#17 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:59 am

The noise is more noticeable when Im riding the bike rather than on tickover, and more so when Im accelerating

To my experience, clcking noise from cam chain due to a hesitating tensioner is heard from tickover and disappearing at higher revs. I drove one season or so with this until it settled and sound hasn't reappeared since (years ago) 

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users