• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jell

Jell

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:16 pm

I've got a real head-scratcher of a problem on my Mk2 850.

There is a low rev miss on one cylinder but over 3-4000 revs it clears but when the tank is off and I have a fuel feed direct to the carbs it runs perfectly. Put it back on and the miss is there again, I've tried this a few times to make sure.

It revs through great when opening the throttle. I've changed plug, cap, coil and cleaned/checked carbs.

The only thing that is bypassed by giving a direct fuel feed to the carbs is the fuel pump but as it revs through with when you open the throttle surely that can't be it can it???Anyone here had a similar problem?

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:15 pm

have you rode the bike without the tank?

Could happen under load

I thought you had a young daughter issue with the title  :lol:  

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:56 am

Check fuel lines are not kinking when you replace the tank !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,353 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:52 am

Is the tank vent blocking and causing a vacuum that the fuel pump overcomes at higher rpm?
Just a thought.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:00 am

Might also be worth checking that there's no fuel escaping down the vacuum pipe from the pump to the inlet on No.1 cyl.  It does happen when the fuel pump diaphragm is pin-holed or worn out. Result is it dumps a glob of neat fuel down no.1 cyl straight into the cylinder causing it to miss at low revs.  It can also run straight into the lower part of the engine, a smell of the oil will confirm if petrol has got in there.

Also, there's an inline fuel filter that fits in the petrol spigot on the carb, sometimes the filter gets stuck in the end of the fuel pipe and then gets squashed. Prolly worth checking the end of the fuel line that connects to the carbs to see if the filter is stuck in there.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:10 am

Now THAT's the kind of highly specialized, well into the realm of true nerdity kind of knowledge that no repair shop can ever even aspire to aquire. My hat is off, Sir!

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:06 pm

Now THAT's the kind of highly specialized, well into the realm of true nerdity kind of knowledge that no repair shop can ever even aspire to aquire. My hat is off, Sir!

Indeed !   What's the chances of a dealer coming up with that ?   OK, not totally impossible, but in my experience pretty much near it.

#8 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:32 am

Could also be moisture (water) in the fuel tank due to condensing. I've had this happen to a lawnmower in the past. It cut out randomly without an apparent reason. Read a similar story about this on the dutch TDM forum indicating that the ethanol based fuel attracts moisture even easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users