58 replies to this topic

#21 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:15 am

Sorry guys, I went out trail riding in Malaga with my younger (and much fitter) son in law and his mate. Buggered my neck up when I shimmied down a steep incline on a 250 Fantic Enduro that wasn't really set up for me, and didn't quite make it. Fortunately a bit of crick and crack from a good Chiro and several massages later and I'm back to normal again (almost)

Now, where was I --- oh yeah, just N/W of London in 1954 ----- WTF! How did I get there?

To be continued shortly .............................................

Hope you're feeling better Toddyboy. Any progress with the next chapter? 

Riggers

#22 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:55 am

Premature ejaculation ?

#23 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:53 pm

Chapter 5

Tina handed the steaming hot cup of tea to me. 

I took a sip. It was all coming back to me now. The ride back from the Busy Bee to Hunton Bridge with her on the back. The narrow escape from those fake cops, the chase through the night.

“Feelin’ better now?” Tina asked.

“A bit yeah," I replied, sipping the hot tea.

“Well, it’s a long way from Gibraltar, Toddyboy,” Tina smirked, and I could tell from the tone of her voice she hadn’t believed a word of what I’d told the cops and her at the Busy Bee the night previously.

I sat there on that manky old sofa looking up at her standing in front of me with her hands on her lithe hips, her head cocked to one side, tongue in cheek. A pose that basically meant ‘pull the other one.’

She didn’t know it but I was as much in the dark as she was. I had no idea what was going on. However, this girl was the only person who had stepped up and helped me. I was indebted to her in a way for befriending me but I was well aware that I wasn’t going to get away for much longer without divulging something. But how was I going to explain my bizarre predicament. I decided there was only one way to do it - tell her the truth, and I was about to confess when I was interrupted by something that really set my heart racing. From inside my leather jacket came an eerily familiar sound. 

“Wossat noise?” Tina said.

Holy shit! My phone, it was ringing. How? I reached for my jacket which was draped over a chair. I fumbled around inside it and pulled it out. Hand trembling, I answered.

There was a lot of background noise and interference but I could hear someone speaking - just. 

“Mr Todd. Is that you Mr Todd?” Came a gravelly voice.

“Yes, it’s me. Who is this?” I rasped.

“My God! Thank God,” the caller exclaimed. Now listen to me very carefully Mr Todd and do exactly as I say ….”

“No! You listen to me,” I blurted out. “Who the hell are you and how can you possibly be calling me?”

The caller was blunt and to the point. “We are transmitting to you through the VHF radio bandwidth. Fortunately your smartphone has a built in radio receiver. Tell me, is it charged?”

I quickly took the phone from my ear and checked the battery readout. It was showing 1%. “No, it’s nearly dead,” I replied.

“Who’s nearly dead?” Tina butted in. 

In the panic of the moment I’d forgotten she was in the room. I put my hand up to indicate she be quiet which didn’t help much.

“Do you have any means to recharge it?” asked the caller.

I thought about that for a second. I did! I had a 12V cigar lighter charger hooked up to the battery on my bike with a USB charger cable in the back box. Instinctively, I got up and headed towards the door but Tina stood in my way. 

“What is that thing you’re holding there - and why are you talking to yerself?” She asked.

“Good, very good! Get your phone charged as soon as possible,” said the caller. “Now listen carefully,” he continued. “You are in grave danger. You need to  ………” The dialogue ended mid sentence as the phone battery died.

Shit! I looked desperately at the dead phone, then at Tina. “Where’d you say my bike was?”

“Out in the back garden where you parked it. Woss goin’ on Tod? Wot is that thing - Who’s dying?” she asked.

“I need to charge my phone!” was all I could utter in response, pushing passed her and heading through the dimly lit narrow hallway towards the back of the house, with her hot on my heels. 

The TDM was indeed in the back yard, right where I’d left it leaning on its side stand. Just seeing it brought some relief to the mental turmoil I was going through. I fumbled around in my pockets for the keys, opened the back box and hooked the phone up to the charger cable. The phone was dead as a door nail but the charger lit up indicating it was working. Then I quickly shut the box lid, caught my breath and looked up to see Tina leaning against the frame of the back door with her arms folded and her head cocked to one side again.  

“You going to tell me what’s going on wiv you or what?” She scowled. 

Well, here goes nuffink, I thought. “If you really want to know, I’m from the future!” I announced.

There was a brief moment of silence as she digested what she’d just heard.

“The future?" She chuckled, her alarmed look transforming into a churlish grin. 

“That’s right,” I said, “2018 to be precise,” and without further preamble I launched into the whole story of how I’d been caught in a storm while riding back home from the Ace Cafe, got hit by lightning and ended up in 1954 along with my bike and with the body of an eighteen year old. 

When I’d finished she just stood there, looking at me intently as if she were sizing me up for a straight jacket. “And you expect me to believe that?” she chided.

I just shrugged. I didn’t really, but it was the truth and I couldn’t think of any other way of explaining it.

“If this is a chat up line it’s the weirdest one I’ve heard yet,” she crooned. 

Chat up line! Jesus. I never could figure out how a female’s mind worked and probably never would. 

Then she did something that took me even more by surprise. She sidled up and kissed me full on the lips. Now, it’d been a while since I’d kissed a teenage girl. About forty years or so by my reckoning and I have to admit she caught me off balance. It was a surreal moment, though with all the things that had occurred in the past twenty four hours this was about the most real thing that I’d experienced. The fact that I was, well, once was, sixty years old, married with kids and grandkids somehow got overlooked in the heat of the moment. Her lips were full and luscious. Her body was lean and supple and as I grasped her and drew her nearer my cock was so hard it felt like it might break off. Jeez. I hadn’t felt as horny as this since I could remember! Was this really happening? My breathing became erratic as my hand reached under her shirt ……. 

A door slammed shut. Someone had come in through the front door!

Tina abruptly pulled away from me, short of breath and face flushed. “Mum’s back from work. She does nightshift at Apsley Mills. Whatever you do, don’t tell her you slept here last night,” she warned.

I’d completely forgotten all about the fact that anyone else might live here. 

Tina rushed back inside the house and I could hear her talking to someone. Then she came out again with an older woman in tow. The resemblance was obvious. “This is Tod, Mum. He’s a friend of mine I met at the Bee last night,” she explained, as if nothing unusual had happened.

Her Mum had nice, if tired eyes and I swear she looked familiar though for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why. 

“Nice to meet you Tod. You’re not from around here are you?” She questioned.

“Er, no. Not, not really,” I answered furtively.

The woman looked at me, then sideways at her rosy cheeked daughter. 

“Actually, we’re off out now Mum,” Tina announced, giving me a sly sideways glance.

“Where’s your bike, Tina?” her Mum asked.

“Oh, it broke down last night. Tod’s going to take me back to the Cafe to fix it. That’s why he’s here - to give me a lift,” Tina lied.

“Oh I see,” said her Mum sagely. “Jed not about then?” 

“Er, no. Jed’s working today Mum.”

Her Mum raised an eyebrow. “What, on a Saturday. That’s not like him!” She said, questioningly. This woman hadn’t just come down with the last rainfall. She knew what was going on and Tina knew she knew it too.

“Anyway, were off now. See you later,” Tina urged, scuttling away. “I’ll just grab me helmet and jacket, Tod. Won’t be a mo.” And with that she disappeared inside the house, leaving me and her Mum alone for a few tense moments

“Unusual bike you got there, Tod,” her Mum remarked to me as she peered inquisitively over my shoulder at the bright yellow and grey bodywork of the TDM.

I was about to conjure up a bullshit answer to that leading question when Tina came bounding out of the back door all kitted up and holding my crash helmet in her hands. “See ya Mum,” she said again as she hurriedly ushered me out, bike ’n all through the back gate and onto the Street.

"You be careful on that thing!" her Mum chided, watching wistfully as we exited.

Out on the street I straddled the bike and flicked the ignition switch on. Tina jumped on the back. “Where are we going?” I asked.

“Away from 'ere,” she said. "Follow my directions."

I fired the TDM up, clicked her into first gear and we set off with me none the wiser.

To be continued ........................................

Edited by toddyboy, 11 March 2020 - 11:51 pm.

#24 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:49 pm

:good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:33 pm

I was at the busy bee cafe last Satdi. :D  On the A1 southbound.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#26 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:08 pm

???? hanging?????

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#27 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:19 pm

This one is on the A41 - Watford bypass. Glad you're writing fit again.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#28 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:39 pm

Plus one! lovin' it.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#29 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 November 2018 - 07:58 am

+2

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#30 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:18 pm

+3

#31 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:58 pm

+4
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#32 drew

drew

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:32 pm

really looking forward to the next chapter. :signthankspin:

#33 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:06 pm

Me too

#34 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:16 am

New Year, New Chapter PLEEEEZZE!

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#35 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:51 pm

I bookmarked this thread last year and have only got around to reading it today, more please toddyboy :)
Signature test

#36 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:55 pm

Hi fellow TDMers. Apologies for the hiatus. I figured I'd better tell you what happened next.

Chapter 6:

After filling up with fuel at a petrol station a mile or so down the road, which only cost ten shillings (approx 50 pence in modern money) we decided to head for the Busy Bee cafe.

As we pulled up several of the young rockers flocked around us. As with the night before they began scrutinising the TDM excitedly. 

Tina went to check on her bike and I went inside and ordered a couple of teas.  

There was an old radio sitting on the counter. It was an old wooden thing with dials and a mesh grille on the front, like something my Nan would have had in her sitting room. What was it that the caller had said, something about being able to connect with my phone through the VHF wavelength I think. I reached over, turned it round so I could see the back and read the label. It was a VHF radio! That was interesting. I wonder? 

I turned it on and fiddled with the dial. I couldn’t tune in anything much, a few classical music stations here and there and the news. As I sat there listening to it I heard something else. Then my heart skipped a beat. It was my phone’s ring-tone! They were calling me again. I pulled the phone out of my pocket and as before, there was no number showing. I pressed the red circle and held the phone to my ear. My throat felt dry

“Hello!” I croaked

“Mr Todd, make sure you …. device stays charged and fu…ctioning and you must be near a radio that’s turned on or w… can’t reach you.”

I was confused. “Why a radio?” I asked.

Amidst the fluctuating background interference the mysterious caller managed to explain that my smartphone could pick up VHF frequencies if it was near enough to a functioning and turned on radio. I couldn’t be totally sure that was the totality of what he said but I got the general gist of it. The interference was blocking out some of his words. 

A radio! - VHF (that stood for Very High Frequency) How the hell that could possibly work I had no idea but to be honest I didn’t care. Whoever it was that was talking to me knew I was here and by some miracle they knew how to contact me. Maybe they could help me get back to the real world - my world!

“Who are you?” I demanded to know.

The reply was spattered with background noise and interference that was getting worse:

“My ..ame is ..obbs. Maj….  …obbs. You must …et to the MoD station near Hendo………………………….” 

The dialogue ended in a buzzing whine of electrical interference. My phone hadn’t died like the last time. It had simply cut off while the caller was mid sentence. Goddammit! 

What was that he’d said his name was? Maj Obbs. What the hell kind of name was that? The signal was really bad so I’d probably missed part of it. He’d said something that sounded like  I must get to the MoD station near Hend.. then it cut off. 

Hend…. - Hend…. - Hendon! That must be it. There was an old MoD station near Hendon. I remembered now. It had been used heavily during the war but had closed down back in the eighties though if I recall it had been recommissioned by the military again around 2018, though not much was known about why that was or what it was being used for. 

There was something else too; I recalled the local rag, the Hendon Observer, had printed an article about it. Something about locals reporting strange noises coming from there and frequent electrical blackouts occurring in the areas surrounding it. There had even been reports of missing persons that had only started happening after the place had been recommissioned. The paper had touted it as London’s ‘very own Bermuda Triangle.’ I never really gave it any thought at the time. But now, now I started to put two and two together. What if that place had something to do with what had happened to me? It was a long shot but it somehow made sense.

The two cups of tea were almost cold when Tina rocked up. I told her to get ready. We were going for a ride.

I set off towards the old MoD station near Hendon. I had no idea if this was the right place to go but I didn’t exactly have much else to go on and we weren’t anywhere near a switched on radio. 

Ten minutes later we were outside the barbed wired gates of the MoD station near Hendon. There was one armed guard in a sentry box inside the gate who came out and confronted us.

I didn’t know what to say or do. What if this wasn’t the correct destination? 

The guard was eyeing up the TDM, obviously slightly confused.

“I’m here to see Mr Obbs’” I said.

The guard furrowed his eyebrows. He was obviously thinking about something. “You mean Major Hobbs?” he replied.

I nodded. Sounded close enough though I didn’t really know.

The guard went back to his hut and spoke on the phone. 

It was a tense minute or so that we waited there, not knowing what was going to happen next, then in the distance I saw two vehicles heading our way at a fair lick. The lead vehicle, a Land Rover, skidded to a halt and a man in Officers army uniform and sporting a wide moustache jumped out, immediately followed by two armed squaddies. He motioned to the sentry who immediately saluted and opened the gates.

“Major Hobbs,” he announced, holding out his hand to me, which I shook. “And you must be the chap I was talking to earlier. Interesting machine you have there,” he remarked, eyeing up the TDM with more than a little curiosity. Then he spoke to Tina. “And you are, Miss?” 

“Tina,” she replied.

The man looked pensively at Tina, then at me. “I wasn’t expecting two of you. Very well, would you follow me please,” he said. It wasn’t really a request. More a  polite command. Then he jumped back into the Land Rover and we followed it along the driveway with the other vehicle immediately behind us. A strange convoy heading towards a mysterious building.

As we rode, Tina leaned forward and asked “Where we going Tod. Who are these people?”

All I could think of as a response was that they were the people I was supposed to meet.

I was directed to park the TDM in a hangar which I did and the two of us were then ushered into this Major Dobb’s office. Tina asked if she could use the bathroom and was escorted away by a female army officer.

Alone with Dobbs in his office he got right to the point. “Well young man, I expect you’re wondering what you’re doing here!” he said.

“It had crossed my mind, yes,” I replied.

“Alright. I’ll get right down to the point,” Dobbs began. “You have been an unwitting guinea pig in a time travel episode.”

It sounded completely bonkers but somehow it was a relief to hear someone actually say it. This definitely wasn’t a bad dream after all. It was the real deal.

“And before you ask,” he continued, “we’re going to attempt to send you back to where you came from.”

“Really - How?” I asked, now very animated.

“By replicating your exact movements just prior to you ending up here in 1954 and reverse engineering the experiment that made it occur,” he said.

“Time travel machine,” I answered blankly.

“Correct,” Dobbs said. “An honest to goodness time travel machine. Quite something, don’t you think?  We’ve been experimenting with it for some time and now it appears it works, as evidenced by the fact that here you are!”

I was trying to figure out in my mind how this was all going to work but Dobbs pre-empted that.

“In case you wondered, we are in touch with our counterparts from the future. Fortunately this device is still a well kept secret in your time. We intend to keep it that way. Which brings me to the question of that young lady you brought here with you. Does she know anything about this?” he asked, his tone hardening as he spoke.

I hesitated for a moment. There was no point lying. These people weren’t fools. They’d find out soon enough. I explained how I’d met Tina and that she’d given me succour when I really needed it. I admitted I had actually told her I was from the future but that she didn’t believe me and thought I was using it as a chat up line. Major Dobbs suppressed a chuckle and seemed to relax a little.

“Women are strange creatures,” he said. They only hear what they want to hear. It is a rather implausible explanation anyway. And no disrespect young man, not a very good chat up line either! Very good. In that case, we’ll keep it that way. We’ll send her home and if we don’t make anything more of it she will most likely never be any the wiser. You on the other hand will be required to sign the official secrets act upon your return and be bound over to never speak of this matter to anyone - ever. If you do, I’m afraid you’ll be in for some severe trouble. Is that quite clear?”

I nodded.

Dobbs then got up and motioned towards the door. “I’d like you to say goodbye to your young lady  friend now. We need to get you back home too,” Dobbs said.

We found Tina in another room where she’d been kept occupied by the lady officer who’d shown her to the bathroom. They were both looking at some pictures in a book and smiling and laughing.

“Tod, look, they’ve got pictures of my Dad in here,” she announced excitedly. “Never seen em before.” She pointed out a few pictures of men standing in front of some desert tanks. “That’s ‘im there she said, pointing to one of the men. “I don’t have any pictures of him except an old grainy one of when he married Mum!” She was obviously really happy to see them. 

Major Hobbs said she could have them which pleased her no end. He then looked across at me and I knew it was time to say goodbye. 

I took Tina outside. “I have to go now Tina,” I said. “Major Hobbs will have someone drive you home.” 

“Where you going?” she asked.

“I’ve done what I came to do. Time for me to go home too,” I replied.

“Will I ever see you again?” she asked.

“Maybe,” I said. “It’s a small world these days.” Then I gave her the key fob to my bike. It had a nice black and gold enamelled Yamaha logo on it, the three tuning forks. We had one last hug then I waved goodbye as she was driven off by the woman officer in an army car.

I watched as the car disappeared through the entrance gates then looked round to find Dobbs standing just behind me. “Well, I suppose you want to see what all the fuss is about then,” he said, and beckoned me back into the building. We walked down some steps and into a large warehouse like area in the centre of which was a large machine that looked something like a cross between a tank and a spaceship. 

“We’ve had a fair bit of argy-bargy with the Americans over this contraption,” he began. “They were none too happy that we managed to capture it just after the war ended and ship it back to Blighty before they got their hands on it. Once they did find out about it they began kicking up an almighty fuss with our Government and wanted unlimited access to the technology. So far they haven’t been successful. The truth is we were and still are indebted to them for their help during the war but they really were a greedy bunch of sods, whisking away the top German Scientists back to America with their ‘project paperclip.’ Many of those Scientists were War criminals and were never brought to justice for the atrocities they committed. We protested of course but you know how it is, the one with the biggest stick gets the lions share of the meal.”

I was fascinated. Not just by the fact that a time travel device existed, but from where it emanated. Then a thought crossed my mind.

“So, those characters pretending to be cops; who were they exactly?” I asked. Based on what Dobbs had already told me I kind of had an inkling now, but nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to hear.

“Nothing to do with us, old boy. We believe they were Nazi’s,” he replied. 

To be continued ............................

Edited by toddyboy, 12 March 2020 - 11:03 am.

#37 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:53 am

Yea, next episode. :good:  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#38 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:30 am

:tup:

#39 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:57 am

Woopwoop :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#40 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:43 pm

“Nazi’s” I blurted out. The confused look on my face prompted Dobbs to explain further.

“Unfortunately, the Americans plan backfired on them somewhat. The Nazi scientists, doctors and biologists that were secretly filtered back to the USA under the guise of project paperclip weren’t just clever, they were also still extremely idealistic. The Yanks were so enamoured with the technical skills and knowledge of their guests that they forgot just how insane the Nazi doctrine was and how difficult it is to eradicate an idea that’s been indoctrinated into someone. It’s been almost a decade since then and they’ve become entrenched in American society, all the way up to some of the highest levels of their political hierarchy. Now we believe that they’re back at their old game again - world domination. The fourth Reich, old chap. Bloody ridiculous!” 

“How is that possible?” I asked

Dobbs was a matter of fact character and appeared to be a very positive type of man but I could see in his eyes that the situation he was referring to was fast getting out of control. “We are obliged to accommodate the Americans I’m afraid. Since the war ended several US military bases have been established here in the United Kingdom. They have their own secret spy department which used to be called the OSS, now it’s known as the CIA. Unfortunately, it’s littered with Nazi’s. They operate on their own agenda and obviously were trying to capture you. Thankfully, they didn’t and you were instrumental in sending a few of them over that bridge. A couple less to have to keep tabs on I’m happy to say.” 

I just shook my head in disbelief. Just about everything that had occurred to me in the past day or so was unbelievable and now this was the icing on the cake. What a story this would make, I thought. But it was a story I could never tell.    

“So what now?” I asked.

“We send you back,” Dobbs replied. And with that he motivated the other men in the room into action. There was a flurry of activity as the machine began to make a strange noise, a kind of whirring, humming sound.

Dobbs escorted me back outside where two technicians in overalls were waiting there with the TDM. My men tell me your machine is like nothing they’ve ever seen. Japanese apparently?”

“Yes, it’s even a bit unique in my time,” I replied.

“It’s a strange world we live in, and will live in by the looks of it,” Dobbs ruminated. “The Japs were bludgeoned into submission by the atomic bomb yet they bounce back to produce exotic machinery like this, while the Nazi’s play hide and seek with us on our own turf and after we apparently eradicated them from the face of the earth. Still, it appears that England is still a free country in 2020 so they didn’t succeed with their comeback plan, yet. Let’s hope that continues.”

Then he explained what was going to happen next.

“We’re going to duplicate the exact same frequency that transported you here, only in reverse. With any luck you’ll return to the exact time and place from you came.” 

“And if I’m not lucky?” I questioned with a slight lump in my throat.

Dobbs paused for a moment. Then he looked me dead in the eye and said “Let’s just be lucky, eh, old boy!” 

I was then briefed on the procedure. I had to duplicate the exact moments prior to the point where I thought I’d been hit by lightning. That meant riding along the same stretch of road at approximately the same speed at a specific time. I chuckled to myself nervously. (I’d watched Back To The Future) I could do this.

I fired up the TDM and shook Dobb’s hand. Then I followed one of the Land Rovers out through the gates. ‘Ground Zero’ was only a mile or so away. We reached the Elstree roundabout and the two military men in the Land Rover blocked the road to stop any potential traffic. There wasn’t actually any, it was just a precaution. 

I knew what I had to do but I was pretty bloody nervous all the same. The two soldiers in the Land Rover nodded, signifying I could go. I nodded, took a deep breath and started off down the A41 gradually increasing speed as I went. As the speedo needle arched to the right and hit 60mph I knew I was coming up to the place where I’d suddenly disappeared in 2020 and then reappeared here in 1954. 

I steeled myself for what was coming. Then there was a bright flash ………. 

Everything went into slow motion. I couldn’t see anything. There was a lull then a hard jolt and suddenly there was the Beemer dead ahead of me. Storm clouds filled the skies. It was raining. There were dozens of vehicles on either side of the road. I’d done it!

I felt heavier, older and slower but I was as happy as a spring rabbit. It took me another ten minutes to get home by which time it was really starting to rain. I discarded my wet jacket, kissed my wife and sat down to a steaming hot plate of Cottage pie and a cup of tea. 

“Well, I’m back!” I announced.

My wife looked at me a bit funny and reminded me to put my plate and cutlery in the dishwasher when I was done.

It didn’t take long for my life to get back to normal. There were no physical side effects from the time travel experience thank god. It was almost as if nothing had happened. I’d returned to exactly the same time as I’d gone. No one was any the wiser, except me of course. Major Hobbs would be long gone by now most likely though I didn’t doubt for a moment that I was being monitored some way or another. I’d been visited by two Government types the day after my return and had to sign the official secrets act. They’d waited till my wife had gone out before they knocked on the door so they had obviously been keeping close tabs on me. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary occurred. 

It didn’t take me long though to start wondering whatever happened to Tina. A quick peruse of Mr Google soon filled me in on the details. Apparently, she still lived at the same address in Hunton Bridge where I’d slept on the sofa back in the day. More importantly she was still alive, albeit she was now 84 years old. I pondered over it for several days. Should I, or shouldn’t I? Then I figured, what the hell!  

Parking the TDM up on the road outside I walked up the front pathway. I was sure I’d been followed by a nondescript black car but I couldn’t see anything now. The house didn’t look much different to be honest. The windows were now modern double glazed and the front door was a different colour but other than that it looked pretty much as I remembered it. I paused for a moment before ringing the bell. What would I say to her? What would she look like now? I realised my hand was trembling a bit as I pushed on the doorbell.

An old lady answered the door. She had white hair and wrinkled skin but those dark green eyes were unmistakable. She looked at me puzzled, her eyebrows creased, then suddenly she put her hand to her mouth and let out a muted yelp. “Tod, is that you?” she squeaked.

“Sure is Teens,” I replied. “Any chance of a cuppa?”

We sat and talked for what seemed an age. She couldn’t quite understand how I looked so young. She was 84. I should, by rights, be a little older but she said I didn’t look much over 50. How come? She had a point. I just fobbed it off saying I’d had a good life and married a good woman who fed me well. It wasn’t the whole truth, but it wasn’t a lie either.

Apparently, her and her boyfriend Jed had broken up not long after I “went back home,” and she eventually married another chap who worked at the Vincent Motorbike factory in Stevenage. They’d met at the Busy bee Cafe. They had only one son who tragically was killed while serving in the Gulf War and her husband had died only a couple of years ago, leaving her a widow. She was on her own now with only memories to keep her company.

She told me to wait while she went upstairs to get something and returned with a small jewellery box. Inside was the Yamaha key fob I’d given her. She’d kept it all this time! 

I then took her outside and showed her the TDM. She just looked at it bemused. How could I possibly still have it? I told her I’d looked after it and that I’d never sell it. She just shook her head and said “You always were a funny one, Tod.” 

I stayed in touch with Tina and visited her often. Unfortunately, she passed away a few months later. In her will she left a few things - for me! One of them was the key fob I’d given to her all that time ago, and the other - was a 1955 Vincent Black Shadow! It had been owned from new by her husband. Her solicitor took me to see it. It was bog standard and in as good condition as when it left the factory some 65 years ago with only four and a half thousand miles showing on the odometer. He also handed me the documents along with an unopened letter addressed to me. Inside was a note in Tina’s handwriting.

‘I know you haven’t told me the whole truth about yourself, Tod. I suppose we all have our secrets and some things are probably best left unsaid but I thought you might like this. It was lovely knowing you. Ride safe. Love, Teens.’

I nearly cried. 

THE END

Edited by toddyboy, 12 March 2020 - 05:46 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users