• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sue

Sue

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:55 am

Hi, my first time on the forums and a newbie to the website but I am hoping that someone out there is able to help as I really want my bike back on the road!!

Last week my 2002 TDM 900 passed her MOT (having been fully checked over following the chain-tensioner sticking so the swing-arm had been taken off, sorted & returned). The next day my son took her out for a ride (as he does very occasionally). Here's his short review of what ended up as the Police blocking an entire lane (and being very chatty and friendly with my son), a £150 recovery & one very pi**ed off son & mum:

Bike started fine. A minute(ish) after dip beam failed so I presumed blown bulb & switched to main beam. All seemed ok but then bike cut out completely, seemingly all functions on right-had switch failed. Tried to re-start the bike but as if the kill-switch has been hit. After recovery & back in the garage ... it started just fine! 

Friend & excellent mechanic has checked all connections & can't find anything wrong & doesn't want to take the control unit (or whatever the technical name is) apart as he's not familiar with this bit of kit - any suggestions? 

I can't rider her unless I know it's not going to happen again.

Can someone help please??? 

Yours hopefully,

Sue :o

Edited by Sue, 05 May 2015 - 08:56 am.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:11 am

:welcome:  to the club Sue !  Sorry to read your first post is a cry for help.  Have you/ the mechanic checked the error codes to see if anything untoward is showing ?  Have a look here  http://www.jbx9.16mb...?page=ERR_CODES

Wherabouts are you ?  There might be someone on here close to you who can come and have a look.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:32 am

Firstly, welcome to yer. Secondly, I only groked that the right-side chain adjuster bolt must've seized and the rest is the dark arts of electrickery and way beyond me, but I'm sure someone here knows something and will give some ideas and suggestions. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:53 am

Hi & welcome. I had similar issues myself some years back, but not so dramatic!. Under the fuel tank and air box, all the cables from the handlebar switches join in with the rest of the wiring loom in a variety of multi-pin plugin connectors. My problem was a poor connection somewhere in there. The solution was simple.

• Off with the fuel tank & air box.
  • Pull apart each connector one at a time; visually check the connections, looking for dirt.corrision and clean with electrical contact cleaner. Push the two parts of the plug back together and pull apart again a few times and then push them together again one last time (this cleans up the electrical contacts). 
  • Repeat for each connector.
  • Reassemble and test.

Go carefully, yours is a yellow one (the best and fastest colour ;) ), so 2002 model year. Those connectors are 13 years old, so they and the wiring will be starting to get brittle. Good luck  :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:11 am

Delighted to welcome a another lady TDMer to the forum and hope you get your bike fixed.

Intermittent electric faults are a real pain! The only time I ever had a problem was with a loose connection on the ignition coil after hitting a pothole.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:52 pm

Intermittent electrical faults are mainly due to bad connections, the engine control unit is not in cause.

About the connectors, Matlock said it all. :good:

I mean that's specific to 2002 yellow models, 2002 silver models connectors are doing well. :)

Edited by JBX, 05 May 2015 - 03:53 pm.

top_640.png

#7 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:33 pm

My post here might point you in the right direction of the connectors of which Matlock speaks.

http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

Where are you based?

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:01 am

Welcome to the forum Sue, sure you will be sorted in no time, most issues with the TDM are usually resolved pretty easily and you certainly came to the right place,   :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:11 am

Welcome Sue. As you can see there are plenty of knowledgeable folks to offer help here. Good luck with this one....electrics are a royal P in the A. but TDM is pretty good overall.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#10 Sue

Sue

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:36 am

Thank you all VERY much. 

I love my TDM & want to get her back on the road asap. I am studying for an MSc & have some homework to do which is taking up too much time this week (yes I know, at my great age I should have known better than to start a degree when I left school at 16 :istupid: ). 

In answer to 'Studley Ramrod' I live in the Peterborough/Huntingdon area & to 'Matlock' - dun that to no avail :sorry:  

I use to be an electrician in my dark & distant days (ex-RAF) but I've forgotten more than I knew ... & bikes just go to prove that men like fiddling - if women designed bikes all the cables & fiddly bits would be easy to access without being a contortionist who has too much time on their hands & likes getting covered in oil & muck!!  :isurrender:

again,  :signthankspin:  to you all ... I look forward to getting to meet you somewhere ... and preferable on a road not in my blinkin' garage!  :)

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:03 am

Sooooo, did the dipped beam actually fail ?

If not, errrrrm, have you ruled out possible user error ?  I remember riding in the dark when I first got my TDM and accidentally resting my thumb on the kill switch, didn't even feel the switch go. 10 mins of head-scratching and a big 'doh' moment and all was good ! :)  Also fumbling in the dark for the headlight switch produced interesting results.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:32 am

Could still be a furry kill switch SR. I have had them cause very intermittent probs or what about the side stand switch.

I have also read on the ER6 forum that a dealer changed the complete wiring harness on a bike & it was the clutch switch in the end. :lol:

Try the simples first

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:32 pm

A furry kill switch or dodgy sidestand switch would cut the engine but wouldn't cause low beam to fail, hence me asking the question. :)  Plus, all electrics have been checked out by the friendly excellent mechanic.

#14 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:27 pm

It looks like a main switch intermitent failure.

A common issue if your keyholder is full of keys.

top_640.png

#15 Sue

Sue

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:01 pm

Wow this is an active forum  :)

Defo not rider error, nor too many keys - just the bike key, one lock & my house key + a very light keyring. He was trying out his new gopro so had it all on film, so he could prove it wasn't just him having a 'mum' moment - yes, I did once hit the kill-switch in error when I was chief marshal of 500 bikes ... oh how they did laugh ... :huh:  :lol:

Hope to have a go at it this weekend but I'm at the National Arboretum this Saturday & HAVE to try to get my last 2 assignments done so I can concentrate on my dissertation.

ps - love the emoticons but why no smileys on bikes in there?

Edited by Sue, 06 May 2015 - 03:03 pm.

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:18 pm

Go over all the joints cleaning and applying ACF50 to the connectors before you put them back together.

You will have to get the tank up and airbox off which will entail removing side panels. It's easier with a tank prop.

I'm not too far from you so if you have somewhere to work under cover, I could take a trundle over there with a few tools and meters and have a look at what the problem might be.

Bikes are designed to work, men don't 'fiddle' we carry out  repairs using sound engineering principles... or we ought to.

The only few known niggles on the niner are easily sorted.

Edited by leehenty, 06 May 2015 - 04:21 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 Phil McLaughlin

Phil McLaughlin

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:36 pm

Id go for the switches again.  Take them off the bars & have a look, prod, squirt ACF50 in them

has the bike been laid up for any length of time (allowing corrosion to build on contacts ?)

how are the earth points ?

Good luck !

#18 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:29 pm

.hi and welcome , do you like :cake eating: ,any hoo , when my niner was in getting valves checked , the tank was up so the mechanic could see that some of the connecters were badly corroded but then I do ride the bike in all weather and it doesn't matter how much you wash the bike , that salty crap on the road will get into all the wrong places :good:  :good:

#19 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:33 pm

Sue....you have an offer from LeeHenty to help...thats the best route to salvation....just provide hot drinks and a flour based food product (cake) and you are sorted!

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#20 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:51 am

Sue....you have an offer from LeeHenty to help...thats the best route to salvation....just provide hot drinks and a flour based food product (cake) and you are sorted!

+1

The man is a genius!
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrics, control unit, fail, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users