• Please log in to reply
5772 replies to this topic

#3761 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:43 am

I do think disc's on the back are overkill on most bikes. A good drum is more than enough for most numpties like me. I rarely use the back apart from those oh s### moments.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#3762 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:27 am

I do think disc's on the back are overkill on most bikes. A good drum is more than enough for most numpties like me. I rarely use the back apart from those oh s### moments.

ahhhh i hafta agree with ya dare  Gautrek as i have had boikes with rear drums that were a joy to use wet or dry (Yam 250LC was one of them) and alot of rear discs lock up so easily unless ya have ABS

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3763 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:33 pm

ahhhh i hafta agree with ya dare  Gautrek as i have had boikes with rear drums that were a joy to use wet or dry (Yam 250LC was one of them) and alot of rear discs lock up so easily unless ya have ABS

Here's a rear drum to underwhelm you, on my Royal Enfield Bullet 500 single (c1999) ...

Attached Files

#3764 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:46 pm

Fitted a fuel tap from a Mk2 to my Mk2a so I can run the carbs dry for over winter, have run a pipe from the reserve fitting to under the seat so I can run some aspen through to get all the pump fuel out if I want.

I don't want to have to strip when the crud builds up.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3765 stevie

stevie

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:17 pm

Picking up my third TDM tomorrow, just sold my TDM 850 and up-graded to a TDM 900. Looking forward to the ride back from Chester to Stoke-on-Trent with heated grips on and a smooth 6 speed box.

#3766 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:06 pm

Picking up my third TDM tomorrow, just sold my TDM 850 and up-graded to a TDM 900. Looking forward to the ride back from Chester to Stoke-on-Trent with heated grips on and a smooth 6 speed box.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts and comparisons

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3767 stevie

stevie

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:50 pm

First thoughts on the TDM900.  It's gearbox is so smooth and neutral is very easy to find.

The bike is so planted on the road and well balanced,

The power is less snatchy unlike the ON/OFF of the TDM850 Throttle.

The heated grips and hand guards are a god send not having had them before.

The brakes are awesome, and the seat is very comfortable.

I love the big rev counter slap bang in front of your eye line making very visible and the digital speedo is very handy for monitoring speed when passing through speed cameras.

It pulls like a train and the rev counter tells me it's time to change gear, the six speed box is definitely better.

This TDM is the best that I have ever ridden and seems well sorted by its previous owner.

#3768 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:01 pm

First thoughts on the TDM900.  It's gearbox is so smooth and neutral is very easy to find.

The bike is so planted on the road and well balanced,

The power is less snatchy unlike the ON/OFF of the TDM850 Throttle.

The heated grips and hand guards are a god send not having had them before.

The brakes are awesome, and the seat is very comfortable.

I love the big rev counter slap bang in front of your eye line making very visible and the digital speedo is very handy for monitoring speed when passing through speed cameras.

It pulls like a train and the rev counter tells me it's time to change gear, the six speed box is definitely better.

This TDM is the best that I have ever ridden and seems well sorted by its previous owner.

All fair comments I think. I ride a few bikes but none have such a smooth gearchange as the 900

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3769 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:25 pm

A pootle round the County on the 9er.

Leathers today as the weather is dry and reasonably warm at 70C.

Some grass down the centre C roads then some spirited B road riding to remove this week's cobwebs. Lots of horse crap and drug pedallers about.

A fresh install of Win 10 on the shed computer for music/reference/shopping while I poitter about.

Edited by Favs, 23 October 2019 - 03:28 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3770 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:57 pm

In the process of fitting the front brakes off a 9'er to my 4TX, looked on fleabay for calipers and found a full front setup for £85 with a 'make offer' option so chanced my arm and offered £75 (I'd have happily paid £85) and got accepted, when they turned up all the pipework was still connected and bled with clean looking fluid, with a clean up the pads looked useable and a bit of piston shuffling saw all pistons cleaned up and rubber greased without removing.

Had a dabble today and managed to get the old bits off and new bits in situ without opening the system on old or new, just need to make a few brackets to support the hoses on the forks and modify the brake light terminals and job done.

I have a spare master cylinder from a 9'er if anyone needs one, bought it a while ago and never got round to getting the calipers so now surplus to requirements, probably put it on fleabay to recoup some cash.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3771 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:13 pm

Some more farkles for 900 :) These countersunk are going to replace ugly black ones on Givi sidecases rack.

IMG-20191023-144226.jpg
IMG-20191023-144428.jpg

#3772 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:59 pm

Today I have fitted a switch to kill the daylight riding lights for overnight riding. I think that they're too bright for other road users, even when dimmed.

Excellent in daytime esp. strobe filtering.

Fine for tunnels and evenings, but too much in f in Fog or full dark

Compliance  ;)

In other news - I've added some of these to my skid-lid https://www.ebay.co....MEAAOSwTvNduauW

I'll let you know how they do.

Edited by Favs, 06 November 2019 - 08:18 pm.

#3773 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:08 pm

Today I have fitted a switch to kill the daylight riding lights for overnight riding. I think that they're too bright, for other road users, even when dimmed.

Excellent in daytime esp. strobe filtering.

Fine for tunnels and evenings, but too much in f in Fog or full dark

Compliance  ;)

In other news - I've added some of these to my skid-lid https://www.ebay.co....MEAAOSwTvNduauW

I'll let you know how they do.

They look good. I'll be keen to see how you go on with them.

Edited by TKH, 06 November 2019 - 06:08 pm.

#3774 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:06 pm

'Kin'ell Favs....I can see you from here!!!....oh no, it's fireworks!
Nice one, I'm looking forward to a full review.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3775 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:09 am

'Kin'ell Favs....I can see you from here!!!....oh no, it's fireworks!
Nice one, I'm looking forward to a full review.

:lol: fireworks, i'll have to stick a banger up his exhaust next i see him.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3776 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:16 am

:lol:

#3777 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:19 pm

bought some more Carbone Lorraine front brake pads, the last lot were amazing, loads of feel 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3778 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:04 pm

Reduced the Kedo numberplate light from 6 white LEDs to 3 and relocated them too - much better than my first (LEDs cut from a strip), attempt.

#3779 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:06 pm

:lol: fireworks, i'll have to stick a banger up his exhaust next i see him.

oo err :huh:

#3780 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:04 pm

I'll let you know how they do.[/quote]

Of course you have to start somewhere

Attached Files

Edited by Andy25, 07 November 2019 - 07:05 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users