11 replies to this topic

#1 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:16 am

Question for those of you that use bags strapped directly to the bike without a rack...any scuff marks to rear plastics ?
I've got 2 givi pannier bags I'm thinking of using this summer but not sure if I should strap them to bike or go mad and buy/make some racks

Edited by JMC, 17 March 2019 - 10:17 am.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#2 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:34 pm

Cut down a yoga mat and put that over the back before the panniers.

#3 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:16 pm

Helicopter tape on the rubbing surfaces perhaps?

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#4 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:42 pm

Cut down a yoga mat and put that over the back before the panniers.

That's a good idea, I might even velcro some to each bag 

Helicopter tape on the rubbing surfaces perhaps?

Had to google that as I'd never heard of it :) might pick up some to try it as well and apparently works well to protect chainstays on bicycles

Thanks lads :D

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#5 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:02 pm

Usually carry a rolled up one on tours as they're useful for camping, padding, sticking under ratchet straps on ferries, etc

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:32 pm

I use Oxfords on mine and i put clear vinyl on the side panels. Also a tip. Use a bungee to hold the bags firm and stops them from flapping at "spirited" speeds  :)   The only annoying thing with soft bags on 3vds is that to check the oil ( which on a long trip is a regular necessity!) you have to remove the bags to lift the seat and check the oil.

#7 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:46 pm

Not sure what it's called but I use this stuff. It's like rubberised matting and is available for next to nothing from Wilko

Attached File  IMG_1087.JPG   198.7KB   4 downloads.

#8 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:18 pm

I initially used that webbing too Riggers. Found that it stuck to plastics in hot weather sometimes, leaving an outline that wouldn't clean off. May just have been bad batch/manufacturer/etc though.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:25 pm

Not sure if velcroing protection onto the bags would stop the panels getting marked, the protection would also gather dirt and rub against the plastics.  Chopter tape would be my choice, I think you can either buy a roll of it or buy sheets instead.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:43 pm

I initially used that webbing too Riggers. Found that it stuck to plastics in hot weather sometimes, leaving an outline that wouldn't clean off. May just have been bad batch/manufacturer/etc though.

Interesting. Never had that problem myself though. Reckon you could always put some talcum powder on it if that was a problem though.

Riggers.

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:31 pm

I use Oxfords on mine and i put clear vinyl on the side panels. Also a tip. Use a bungee to hold the bags firm and stops them from flapping at "spirited" speeds  :)   The only annoying thing with soft bags on 3vds is that to check the oil ( which on a long trip is a regular necessity!) you have to remove the bags to lift the seat and check the oil.

Sounds exactly like my set up. Had no issues with rubbing. I remove the bags to clean the bike and service anyway. Another wee tip. Spray the zips with armourall and they don't get grabby.

I have replaced the vinyl (scuff guard) once. Comes off easily and any residue is easy to clean. Make sure it is cut without corners to catch. I cut a big ovoid which goes over the raised shoulder of the side panel. That's the only bit that rubs.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 19 March 2019 - 07:35 pm.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 Murphy

Murphy

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:09 pm

Not sure what it's called but I use this stuff. It's like rubberised matting and is available for next to nothing from Wilko

attachicon.gif IMG_1087.JPG.

It anti slip matting for under rugs, Its keeps my side panels scratch free, I put a towel over the top just in case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users