10 replies to this topic

#1 Cayennepepper

Cayennepepper

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:20 pm

Hi,

I've just picked up a TDM 900 ABS 2005 model with just 4000 miles on the clock (I'm in Guernsey) and loving the bike so far and will be doing a service, brakes etc before the winter weather properly arrives.

What oil do you guys recommend?

The bike has a main stand, Givi top box and after market screen, are there any other recommended modifications?

Also, it feels like the font brake discs are slightly warped, I've had a search on the internet and can't find any other reports, there's a few posts on here from ages ago. Any tips to check if it's discs or calipers?

Is this a known issue and does anyone have recommendations for after market discs and pads as the OE ones look mega expensive!

Also, is there a link to the standard suspension settings, I was expecting soft but these are very bouncy. I'm 14 stone so if any similar weight riders have suggestions they'd be gratefully received

Any recommendations for tyres - the current ones have plenty of tread but are 15 years old so not too grippy!

Sorry to ask so many questions but always best to hear from owners!

My other bike is an Intruder 1800  which is going to be pampered this winter and treated to a makeover

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:28 pm

Hi,

I've just picked up a TDM 900 ABS 2005 model with just 4000 miles on the clock (I'm in Guernsey) and loving the bike so far and will be doing a service, brakes etc before the winter weather properly arrives.

What oil do you guys recommend?

The bike has a main stand, Givi top box and after market screen, are there any other recommended modifications?

Also, it feels like the font brake discs are slightly warped, I've had a search on the internet and can't find any other reports, there's a few posts on here from ages ago. Any tips to check if it's discs or calipers?

Is this a known issue and does anyone have recommendations for after market discs and pads as the OE ones look mega expensive!

Also, is there a link to the standard suspension settings, I was expecting soft but these are very bouncy. I'm 14 stone so if any similar weight riders have suggestions they'd be gratefully received

Any recommendations for tyres - the current ones have plenty of tread but are 15 years old so not too grippy!

Sorry to ask so many questions but always best to hear from owners!

My other bike is an Intruder 1800  which is going to be pampered this winter and treated to a makeover

I'm 17 stone and so i would the rear spring preload up and also had the rear shock rebuilt.

Bbounciness' is effectively a lack a of damping, so turning up the rebound and then compression till satisfied will be the way to go. If you find that the rebound adjuster is very loose and the detents between the various positions are not clearly defined then the shock is almost certainly beyond it's best.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:53 pm

Greetings

Tyres are personal - lots of differing opinions are available. ;)

DTI the discs with calipers off (run out) & straight edge for concave (wheel out for the latter).

BTW its not the ABS you're feeling is it (are you last  on the brakes)? ABS light will flash 

Edited by Favs, 01 October 2019 - 03:35 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:51 pm

Hello dare,

There are a few opinions on tyres ear http://www.carpe-tdm...=78#entry373311

Brakes, if it is the discs....then summat warped them. So I would start by making sure the calipots aren't binding and go from there.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:25 pm

My personal experience is the bluespots do bind. I use the front brake for a lot of slow speed control which is when you can really tell if they bind and with the clutch in it'll surge a little as the brakes bind and unbind. Mine are doing it again at the minute, probably the weather flicking some mucky stuff in round the dust seals.

My front suspension feels okay (I'm 14 stone), what did you ride before? It could just be a case of it all being relative if it was something like a sports bike? Failing that, if the tyres are 15 years old, I dare say the fork seals are going to blow the first time you hit a pot hole anyway, but I imagine new fork oil will solve your problem. Do a coolant flush, I didn't when i got mine and it had been sat so my thermostat and water pump went in the first few thousand miles of ownership. It's been pretty good for the last 30k miles or so

Edited by jpor, 01 October 2019 - 03:26 pm.

#6 Cayennepepper

Cayennepepper

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:30 pm

Thanks all for your responses, very helpful. A very different ride to my 1800 Intruder so probably need to get used to much bigger suspension travel.

Good call re the brakes binding, yes it is just at low speed so Ill get the pads out over the weekend and give them a good clean up with brake cleaner and check the pads for uneven wear.

Fork seals are fine, no issues at all but no doubt the fork oil is past its best so thats definitely one for the list.

Does anyone have a link to the standard suspension settings, think thats the best place to start from.

Also, I dont like the chrome bars, any suggestions for something a bit wider?

Edited by Cayennepepper, 01 October 2019 - 04:32 pm.

#7 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:03 pm

Does anyone have a link to the standard suspension settings, think thats the best place to start from.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There are full workshop manuals available and loads and loads of other stuff available here....

https://www.tdm-yamaha.heliohost.org/

Happy riding and reading!

Riggers.

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:13 pm

Is it the standard suspension/springs on the bike? Did the previous owner have a pillion most of the time and maybe set things up for that?

When doing the chain tension, it needs to be 50-60mm.

The link to JBX's site from Riggers will give you loads of info and tips. You can also search to forums on here for help.

#9 Cayennepepper

Cayennepepper

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:19 pm

Thanks guys, yes suspension all stock, just need to firm up the front a bit. The link to JBX is perfect thanks, plenty to keep me going. I look forward to doing some work over the next few weeks and posting some updates.

#10 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:11 pm

I do think I may need to play about with the suspension on my 4TX. But the thought of messing with it fills me with dread. So I think I'll just leave well alone.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#11 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:16 pm

Oil should be JASO ma spec, I usually just get the cheapest available on e bay. Ive had various Michelin road pilots which have been good but currently have a pair of Avon Storm 3D XMs which are also very good and much cheaper. I have Renthal 755 bars which stop you getting the pain in the wrists the oem bars give you, not sure theyre any wider though. Make sure you get the rear suspension linkage apart and grease the bushes and bearings, plenty on this forum about that! And welcome!

Edited by chrisr, 01 October 2019 - 10:17 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users