17 replies to this topic

#1 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:11 pm

Greetings to all forum members!

This TDM forum i well known but after reading it for some time in recent weeks i decided to register and introduce myself.

Three years ago in searching for good example of R1150GS i spoted 03 TDM900 in the corner of garage full of diverse imported motorcycles. To be honest i didnt even think about it or consider it. This particular example was tidy, the bike components and quality was level above V Strom and Versys so i thought i could take a short test ride. Decision was easily made and i became TDM owner.

IMG-20190316-132803.jpg

Later on i added lots of touring equipment. It has almost everything what could be installed.

-MRA Vario Windshield
-Alu mirrors, stock ones and stock from MT09 Tracer. I switch them when i get bored.

-Garmin Zumo 340LM which sometimes guide me to ride down stairs :)))

-SW Motech hand protectors
-SW Motech crash bars
-SW Motech center stand
-Hella Micro De fog lights and two LED 18 cubes. Im using LEDs right now because im little scare od Hella that are   55W each H3 halogen
-Full Givi luggage, Maxia E55 on top and two E360 (40ltr) on sides
-Exaust are 100% hand made which are very special to me
-Lithium Ion battery
-There is some titanium bolts on handlebar controls, panniers, etc. From time to time im changing one or two       because they are expensive

Other then that, its running on Continental Road Attack 3, brakes are OEM front, rear is Brembo. Petronas coolant, engine oil was Silkolene PRO4 Plus but this year im using Shell Advance 4T Ultra. 

Atleast two times a season it gets cleaned in details with special cleaners for each part, wheels, exaust, plastic, etc. Then i wax it with Collinite 845 and 850 and all plastic and rubber bits get treated with Koch Nano Magic plast care. 

I cant keep wheels clean despite waxing due to dust and dirt on road. I think there is no solution to that.

20180827-193538.jpg

20180827-193538.jpg

Some plans are to install Motacc handlebar which i have in stock for two years now, and to make custom seat. There is option to add custom suspension with Mupo spring and shock. If someone have experience with upgraded suspension let me know what i can expect. 

In general i didnt ride it much but i must say its very underrated and capable bike. Clearly ahead of time and build quality is awesome. With upgraded suspension i can bet its on paar or maybe better then new Strom 650, Versys or NC750.

The only problem i have with bike its i still have soft spot and wish for 1150GS ADV but TDM never gave a reason to seperate us. 

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:16 pm

Very nice! Welcome!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:50 am

Hello dare and welcome.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:16 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Certainly got a nice clean bike there, full credit. I am having trouble placing your accent, where in the world are you??
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:58 am

Hi and welcome ! A better shock and front fork valves (Gold Valve Emulators, no experience with the others) really improves handling. Beware that suspension will (at least with a 'sport' spec shock) firm up - a good things on smooth roads but not necessarily so if you're doing bumps. 

Bjørge

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:29 am

Welcome Alekre, that's the best colour 9r, looks to be in lovely condition :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:39 am

I'm from Serbia. My english is not so great when i need to compose long and complex sentences :(

Bike is used at least half of time with passenger so we will try to get suspension updated and adjusted according to our weight for long range touring.

Nothing fancy, just for comfort.

http://mupo.it/produ...spring-fork-kit

http://mupo.it/product/2/0/97/gt1

At first i wanted to use progressive Wilbers up front. Suspension technician warned me that bike would be to hard so it will be better option to get linear springs with correct rate and oil. I would rather go on soft side.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:17 am

Greetings.  Nice bike you have there. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:32 am

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:58 am

I'm from Serbia. My english is not so great when i need to compose long and complex sentences :(

Bike is used at least half of time with passenger so we will try to get suspension updated and adjusted according to our weight for long range touring.

Nothing fancy, just for comfort.

http://mupo.it/produ...spring-fork-kit

http://mupo.it/product/2/0/97/gt1

At first i wanted to use progressive Wilbers up front. Suspension technician warned me that bike would be to hard so it will be better option to get linear springs with correct rate and oil. I would rather go on soft side.

This was the very same advice i was given when buying a new rear M Shock, i was told progressive for the track and Linear for the road.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:02 am

I would believe the opposite - that a progressive spring allows for a weaker spring because it toughens proportional to compression level (not necessarily linear) ?

Bjørge

#12 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:30 am

To be honest, i dont know. Choosing the components is tricky enough but the most important is to have knowledge or technician to set up and synchronize machine, tires, and rider into ONE. This is just basic, entry level upgrade but enough for touring. Anything more belongs on track day and race events. Maybe at some point i will try both progressive and linear. 

#13 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:58 pm

Welcome to the forum - nice bike.

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:22 pm

There has been some bad advice given by "suspension technicians". From my experience and knowledge, progressive (standard TDM fitment) are better for the limited damping available from standard damper tubes. The oil gets a difficult time being forced through small holes at high velocity and quickly breaks down. Progressive springs help to overcome the limitations of damper rod damping. Full cartridge or cartridge emulators (I've fitted Race Tech and YSS with success) are more suited to linear springs BUT, if you have different weights on the bike, solo and with passenger, then it's my opinion that progressive springs with emulators work well because of the weight differences/changes. The progressive spring soaks up the small "ripple" bumps well when touring. The 2 stage emulator valves work well with both high and low fork speeds under compression (high speed movement when hitting a hole in the road and low speed when hitting undulations on the surface).

I reckon the standard rear shock is reasonable and cope better than the poor front fork suspension.

Hope that all makes some sense - and welcome. I regret not visiting Serbia during  Euro trips 11 and13 years ago

Edited by dandywarhol, 04 October 2019 - 08:23 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:20 pm

Welcome!!

#16 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:57 pm

Welcome inn

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:24 pm

good evening.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:33 pm

Thought the photos were of my machine - same colour same screen but your bike is in infinitely better condition.

Hello

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users