75 replies to this topic

#41 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:39 pm

Not sure what the MOT man would make of this but I like that. :good:  Gonna have a word with man bro-in-law. (tester).

If you check the Smidsy website you will find they have developed a new one which only flashes when the bike is actually decelerating, therefore will not flash during MOT.

#42 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:10 am

If you check the Smidsy website you will find they have developed a new one which only flashes when the bike is actually decelerating, therefore will not flash during MOT.

According to John Lenin theres nothing i can do that hasn't been done before and just confirmed it.

After Seeing someone's comments about his Merc flashing the brake lights faster as brake pedal pressure increases i tried to figure out how to do it on this bike, by using the speed sensor output....you could even bring the brake lights on with heavy engine braking.

Oh well if Smidsy did it first fair play to them

EDIT, apologies to John Lenon's family, late night smartphone typing is the culprit

Edited by fixitsan, 26 January 2016 - 08:21 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#43 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:51 am

According to John Lenin theres nothing i can do that hasn't been done before and just confirmed it.

After Seeing someone's comments about his Merc flashing the brake lights faster as brake pedal pressure increases i tried to figure out how to do it on this bike, by using the speed sensor output....you could even bring the brake lights on with heavy engine braking.

Oh well if Smidsy did it first fair play to them

One needs an accellerometer:

http://www.ebay.com/...0MAAOSwaNBUhpv3

Bjørge

#44 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:52 am

You couldnt do it reliably with an accelerometer because of different effects of G on it, depending on if you're going uphill or downhill. 2 accelerometers mounted at 90 degrees could probably be used to negate inclination effects, but that just adds complexity

The wheel speed sensor will always be more accurate......but then again it probably doesn't need to have the accuracy of a scientific instrument. 

EDIT

Bjorge, okay, I couldn't see your link before on my phone.....yes 3-axis will do a great job in this application. :)

A downside to relying on the wheel speed sensor  might be that it doesn't come on when the wheel is locked, skidding ! ha !

Edited by fixitsan, 26 January 2016 - 08:36 am.

#45 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:19 am

It's funny to think that the brake light system was around since before electronic monitoring came along so we stick with a bulb and switch circuit, obviously it is very reliable. But it does have some limitations

For example, you might be travelling down a hill and just holding the vehicle speed constant with your brakes - your brake lights are supposedly telling people that you are slowing down, when actually you're not.

Or, on a  motorway when the traffic is thick and someone up ahead just covers their brake pedal and presses it slightly, suddenly the cars behind all slam on their brakes because the first car's brake light came on even though they weren't slowing down !

I would want a brake light to show when I was stationary though, it adds protection and gives signals that the car is occupied, and possibly about to move off, so keeping the link with the brake light switch at slow speed makes sense, but above , say, 20mph  would it be better if your brake light only came on when you were actually slowing down ?

#46 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:49 am

Just had some information from Smidsy, they do compensation for angle of inclination if anyone is interested :)

#47 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:46 pm

One needs an accellerometer:

http://www.ebay.com/...0MAAOSwaNBUhpv3

Just for overkill, GPS for £7 ?  :)   http://www.ebay.co.u...HUAAOSwLN5Whg14

(But probably won't work in tunnels :) )

Edited by fixitsan, 26 January 2016 - 12:49 pm.

#48 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:42 pm

Another interestin thread. Immediately made me think of this.

https://youtu.be/Tu-utwmXqy4

Love the flashing brake light, caught my eye, as it were.

I also love the idea of flickering or roaming (like the cylon helmet) lights on the front of the bike. Movement catches the eye so a system which causes other motorists to look twice and register our presence is a good thing.

The G/F has a cluster of LED's under the headlight of the DT. Even tilted down quite steeply they are very bright... A good thing you might say, but, to my eyes they make it difficult to gauge the speed and distance of her bike. In the mirror their is no bike, just the bloody light.

We need a broad range of skills, techniques and identifiers to keep ourselves safe on the roads but nothing will save us from those who will not see.

I'm intending getting some hi viz self adhesive vinyl to put highlights on me helmets. I still reckon the movement of a hi viz helmet is right up there in being seen. Over cars, hedges, walls etc,. I might do little Iron Cross's, get all Red Baron on it. Heh.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#49 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:25 am

Every little helps, a little. :)

I was in my garage earlier and dug out some flickering leds i made for my departed FJ11.

They originally flickered a bit like Smidsy's 'pod mod' makes them do and they ' glint' according to Smidsy. I did a bit of research and it seems the most visible flicker rate is 16-17Hz.. This is for the peripheral zone of vision which catches your attention, like when you see something out of the corner of your eye which makes you look that way. When you look directky at them though they hardly seem to flicker. Neat trick.

But i didnt think it made a huge difference in daylight and si I added regular flashes and frequency changes to it and it is very noticeabke......but if left on all the time a vehicle in front wouldn't thank you for the annoyance in their mirror.

Along the lines of creating movement i thought about alternately flashing white leds on the back of each mirror.....flashing at a very visible 6-8Hz......actuated by a push button so they flash for just 3 seconds and then return to being permanently on.....a sort of 'light horn warning'.......perhaps as you approach a car coming the other way signalling to turn across you , you hit tge button as a sort of ' i am here' statement. It could even be activated by the briefest push of the horn if not a separate button

#50 KurtDeVos

KurtDeVos

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 66 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:00 am

I found when I had my LED fog lights fitted that people tended to notice you more during filtering, it had a HI/LOW/Flash setting and I would set it to flash in london traffic. I did notice people starting to move further up the road from me than when I did not have them on. I will be at some-point fitting them to the TDM once I get some crash bars.  

I also wear a Motorcycle jacket and trousers that have a good amount of florescent material in the darker months but looking to get summer variants too. I have also been trying to get in the habit of wearing a helmet cam for insurance purposes because if they dont look everything is pointless :P 

#51 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:49 am

Ah so you can get lights which flash already ? 

I think one of the reasons that flashing is more recognisable is that you don't confuse it with a steady light such as light reflecting off standing water on the road.....a definite flashing pattern eventually makes you look that way (or it does with me)

Technically though, they're illegal for road use in the UK.  That's why i thought of making it a short duration flashing period of a few seconds, it could be argued that a horn is difficult to hear by some people who may be some distance away, or have their music on very loud. If they happen to glance your way then a flashing light gets their attention.

Have you ever driven around the Peripherique in Paris ? Scooters and motorcycles zip along between the other traffic with their hazard lights on. Not sure how much it helps, but that would definitely get you pulled over in the UK

#52 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:31 pm

Forget your lights and indicators.  You can be sure of getting the attention of other road users by giving hand signals whilst holding one of these flashing boules.  If the buggers don't seem to be noticing you you can lob it through their windscreens!

p839ex1.gif

#53 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:44 pm

Great idea !

#54 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:09 pm

Lennon ffs

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#55 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:56 am

Lennon ffs

He won't mind, He's dead. And he was dyslexic

“I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it.
It's just getting out of one car, and into another.”
John Lennon

#56 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:51 pm

I got a really bright LED indicator/beacon unit. It had 2 yellow LEDs on the left and 2 white ones on the right, and you can set it up to flash in various patterns. I swapped over the LEDs so there was 1 yellow and 1 white on each side, because I didn't want it to appear too much as a flashing yellow beacon.

Figuring out how to mount this behind the screen now. They're bright enough to punch through the tinted screen, and would still be very visible during the day. I was thinking of hooking them up so that they operate for a maximum of three seconds (variable) with each activation. Not sure if it helps, but I thought I'ld give it a go and see

#57 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:25 pm

So are you gonna use this to flash peeps who are in your way ? :unsure2:  Struggling here to think of any reason why you want front facing flashing lights other than to attract the attention of the fuzz or irritate peeps driving in front of you.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#58 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:32 pm

I was thinking of hooking it to the horn. When you use the horn to warn people of your presence the lights flash for a short while too. Yes the whole point is to attract attention I suppose

Edited by fixitsan, 29 January 2016 - 02:52 pm.

#59 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:03 pm

Beware the law!

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 here.

Lamps to show a steady light

13.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a direction indicator;

(b)a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;

©a warning beacon or special warning lamp;

(d)a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;

(e)a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; or

(f)lamps forming part of a traffic sign.

Edited by steve27bha, 29 January 2016 - 08:04 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#60 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:34 pm

Thanks Steve. Item © is going to be the contentious bit.

I knew  the regulation regarding all lamps must be steady.   I'ld be interested to see what complaint there would be to having bright flashing LED's come on when you sound your horn, as a safety feature.

The same regulations stipulate that brake lights must be steadily lit and never flash....yet many cars have braking force regulated  flashing brake lights, and some bring on the hazard warning lights too (despite the highway code suggesting hazards MUST NOT be used while driving)

I know the law is usually an ass, but I like to think that sense prevails and a safety device is viewed in a different context within the rule of law, particularly if it can be demonstrated to have a positive effect.

Well, hopefully:)

Edited by fixitsan, 29 January 2016 - 08:36 pm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users