18 replies to this topic

#1 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:33 pm

Thought this for a while now, but even more now - I don't like how far she leans on the sidestand. I know some of this is because of my swinger, and when parked at home, I rest it on that wooden block in the background. Has anyone fitted a longer stand/extended the original?

20200702_133050.jpg?Expires=1593707776&K

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:05 pm

I had an extra plate welded on the bottom of mine.

Assuming you don't have a Hagon shock fitted, if you look at the hinge you'll probably find the jaw has opened out a but so it's loose, allowing foot to move a bit further from the bike, and the plate it buts up against gets worn.  You might be able to bend the jaws tighter but I think it's cast so I'd be worried about snapping it, also a blob of weld on the mount if it's worn might help. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:32 pm

A welded plate sounds like a good idea. Ha, its actually got a brand new Hagon shock on it. I know the metmachex swinger makes a difference. I will check the hinge though. Cheers Chris!

#4 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:39 pm

......out of interest, is the implication that the Swinger raises (?) the rear....hence more extreme lean?

(sorry, only got ‘o’ level geometry)

Jiff

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:57 pm

I might have the sidestand that belonged to Chris, it's yours if I can find it Butcher.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:06 pm

Yeah if you've got a Hagon it's longer than standard so makes the bike lean more.  If Studley's got my old stand it's just the right length for a Hagon, I was initially worried the extra weight would mean it didn't sit right up against the stop as hard as standard but it didn't seem to be a problem

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:45 pm

Just had a look and it's not there, I must have binned it.  I remember the jaw being very loose so musta been why I binned it, otherwise I'd have kept it just in case.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:50 pm

......out of interest, is the implication that the Swinger raises (?) the rear....hence more extreme lean?
(sorry, only got o level geometry)

Jiff

So I was told by my MoT guy who also commented on how far over she was.

Thanks so much for looking Studley. I will check the jaw on mine, as comparing with old pics, she's defo leaning more. (Lazy)!! It is a new shock, but the old one was also a Hagon, so assumed same length???

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:53 pm

Hagon shocks can be custom ordered with different lengths, mayhaps the old one was wanna them ?

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:12 pm

This mod can help to keep it straight.

Attached File  Side stand mod to keep straight.jpg   158.27KB   4 downloads

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:14 pm

Hagon shocks can be custom ordered with different lengths, mayhaps the old one was wanna them ?

Very possible!
Cheers Dabs - That looks like a good mod.

Edited by butcher650, 03 July 2020 - 05:28 am.

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:53 am

This mod can help to keep it straight.

attachicon.gif Side stand mod to keep straight.jpg

the issue can see with that is the bike rolling forward and the bike falling over.

I have hagon and metmachex and bolted a hockey puck under mine, great grip and raises it another inch.

I had to do that because when i filled up with fuel, i couldn't get the bike upright it was too far over and my mates had to help.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:37 am

You don't get a full tank of fuel either.

#14 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:43 am

the issue can see with that is the bike rolling forward and the bike falling over.

I have hagon and metmachex and bolted a hockey puck under mine, great grip and raises it another inch.

I had to do that because when i filled up with fuel, i couldn't get the bike upright it was too far over and my mates had to help.

Another reason I thought mine was leaning more was because last time I filled up, after I'd paid it was bloody hard getting it back upright.

You don't get a full tank of fuel either.

I always sit on my bike whilst filling up to keep it level!

#15 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:30 am

A small block of wood is sufficient and I carry one in my pocket to aid maximum refuelling. That would be a cheap solution until you can sort something permanent.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#16 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:59 am

Bit  o wood on a string - drop n kick into place - when done flick up the stand and use the string to pick up the block

- simples

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#17 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:17 pm

As I said, I sit on the bike whilst re-fuelling anyway (always have), so I can get as much fuel in as poss. At home it sits on the block, but now I'm going to be using it for work again etc, and going places, I don't want it leaning that much all day at work, and then getting weaker until at some point it gives out completely. Will get it up on axel stands again at the weekend and inspect it, and see about getting a plate welded on the bottom I think.

#18 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:47 pm

If you take a quick peek at my "For Sale" advert check out the modification I had done to my side stand a few years back, looks a bit like a "special shoe"  :hide:  I grant you but does the trick 100% and I have also added a few stainless steel shims at the frame mount / pivot point to take up some wear, eradicates the big lean effect + feel a lot safer leaving the bike parked up now especially when loaded up for a trip, no where near the usual amount of lean, job done.

No need to look, here's one of the photos :-

Attached File  LHS 28.06.2020.JPG   183.63KB   0 downloads

Edited by Gdogg, 05 July 2020 - 06:32 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#19 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:29 am

I like that a lot Gdogg....I would like to do this to mine... I don't (and haven't ever) welded or have a welder, but know peeps that do. 

How exactly did you go about that mod? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users