#1 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:29 am

I've a new head coming soon (thanks RCmad) and want to improve on what is there.

Will gas flowing /porting the head reap any rewards?

I can smooth out the inlets and polish the exhaust but wondered if someone has done a bit more than that?

I'll fit viton seals and check/lapp valves as a matter of course

thank you

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:52 pm

Yes - and chuck in a pair of Kent Yam9 cams at the same time. A mild porting job and cams transformed my 900 - should do the same for an 850

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:44 pm

I would be interested in the results. 

I asked my machine shop who decked the head, replaced valves, springs, seals and exhaust guides if they would port the head also.

They advised that the porting on the stock Yamaha head is very good and should flow very well as is, no need to port.

this news did not sit well with me

I must port

I must

Except I didn't...

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:00 pm

I would be interested in the results. 

I asked my machine shop who decked the head, replaced valves, springs, seals and exhaust guides if they would port the head also.

They advised that the porting on the stock Yamaha head is very good and should flow very well as is, no need to port.

this news did not sit well with me

I must port

I must

Except I didn't...

I must agree to some extent, but I've seen the TRX guys, smooth the splitter in takes for a smoother flow.

I'm thinking either sharpen up those in take webs or smooth them down, still to decide when I have more info 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:51 am

if you relieve the area around the inlet valve seats, and get a really good valve seat job done ( Serdi or Newan single point machine) the head will flow the best it can,

if you are fitting Kent 09 cams, you will need to lift the compression up a little, as the Kent cams have later closing inlet timing. if you don't the bottom end power will be abit lacklustre 

I angle milled my TDM850 head and ran around 11.2:1 on 95 octane fuel for many years it was ever nice too ride with lots of bottom end power

Howard

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:22 pm

Thanks Howard, really useful

#7 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:00 pm

The Kent Yam09 cams are only a tiny bit more wild than the stock 850 inlet cam. the 850 cam will fit the 900. the exhaust is a similar casting, BUT has a cam position sensor on the left hand end. I will fit an 850 inlet and probably regrind the 900 exhaust too 850 inlet spec

when Kent regrind the stock cams, whether its for an 850 or 900 the base circle is reduced a fair bit which requires much thicker shims, not a problem relay a think some Honda ones fit.

The Kent inlet cam is not really much that wilder than the stock 850 inlet, they quote their cam figures at either seat to seat which is 300 degrees OR at 1mm lift where it is 240 degrees, the stock 850 inlet is 236 degrees at 1mm.

What you are paying for is a quite a bit wilder ex cam profile. I have dynoed an 850 with Kent cams and it picked up 3hp ( just under 5%) at the top end, this is what one would expect as the " under the curve" area is 5% more than the 850 inlet

my 900 has had the ecu re-flashed, it runs very well, I dynoed it with stock cans with the CAT removed and got 77.5hp rear wheel. I changed to set of Scorpion slip ons mainly to narrow the back end of the bike, the power has dropped by 0.6hp at 7000rpm ( different day acceptable dyno error) however the one thing that the de-catted stock pipes and all properly set up slip ons bring to the party, is vastly improved throttle response.

this year will bring 850 spec cams, re-cut valve seats, and squish properly set up.

my 850 which I built 7 years ago is still running with a 0.030''/0.75mm squish and has done 20,000 miles, the man who it is on the TRX 750 forum.

getting a 900 to where Yamaha designed it ( what people call blueprinting, but as all design is done on a very complex engine simulation and design program, maybe it should be called CAD-printing now) is relatively easy to accomplish, will yield benefits in fuel economy, part throttle response, and torque.  

H

#8 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:26 pm

I've finished the head, just started to strip the bike as taking the engine out for a repaint too, seeing as I have more time.
got the head skimmed smoothed the exhaust and opened/blended the inlets.

had the seats recut and  fitted Viton valve seals

#9 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:24 pm

The BEST value for money will come from a really good valve seat cut, by which I mean a head shop machine, whether it be a Serdi or a Rottler or the best which is a Newan contour BB. These machines are upwards of £50K to buy

you can have the best ports in the whole world, BUT if the co-efficient of discharge ( seat and valve flow) is bad you will gain nothing. ALL the flow gains are within 1/2 inch of the seat upstream and downstream.

I build racing XS650 engines and I cannot over emphasis the importance of tight valve to valve guide clearances, and repeatable high quality valve seat cuts. I am achieving 102hp per litre out of 2 valve air cooled twins

I use a 5/6/7 angle inlet cut. and a full radius for the exhaust.

I can give you list of people who do good work with these machines

and ignore the salesman with their smoke and mirrors talk about porting, it only works at WOT anyway.  

Howard

Edited by howardsmed, 26 April 2020 - 07:25 pm.

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:00 am

aye, my machinist is a former motorbike racer and knows his stuff.

Thanks for the offer though :good:  

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:44 am

The BEST value for money will come from a really good valve seat cut, by which I mean a head shop machine, whether it be a Serdi or a Rottler or the best which is a Newan contour BB. These machines are upwards of £50K to buy

you can have the best ports in the whole world, BUT if the co-efficient of discharge ( seat and valve flow) is bad you will gain nothing. ALL the flow gains are within 1/2 inch of the seat upstream and downstream.

I build racing XS650 engines and I cannot over emphasis the importance of tight valve to valve guide clearances, and repeatable high quality valve seat cuts. I am achieving 102hp per litre out of 2 valve air cooled twins

I use a 5/6/7 angle inlet cut. and a full radius for the exhaust.

I can give you list of people who do good work with these machines

and ignore the salesman with their smoke and mirrors talk about porting, it only works at WOT anyway.  

Howard

very interesting reading H.  Do you remember Halco Tuning on the south coast that used to fettle XS 650's with big bore kits and all manner of goodies?  Can we see some pics of your bikes and handy work please? W

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users