#41 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:57 am

Just got back from Xmas at my Auntie's in NW Tassie it'll probably end up being her last as she's not a well lady. sad.gif

Great to see you blokes all keen on the TDUT. clapping.gif

Graeme knows already but FYI I am now un-employed so no spare cash till I get another job which hopefully will be early in the new year.
I like Graeme's plan alot & if it were toward the end of next year I'm sure I could make it over the water then.
Judging by comments we'll all need some time to stash some cash away so end of year makes more sense I think.
A tour through the VIC highlands would be brilliant & if we could slot the Phillip Island GP in as well that'd be a bonus.
As Graeme's a Local in that area he seems the best choice to do some organising & I'm sure we're all happy to assist.
Sorry Graeme, is that dobbing you in for the job mate. tongue.gif

I will be more than happy to arrange a Tassie based tour in 2011 absolutely no problem. good.gif

Anyhow Gents, I see this could be a yearly event to look forward to.

all the best for the new year drinks.gif

PS: Hey dandy us convicts would be happy to have you over for dinner ( think "For The Term Of his Natural Life" & "Dying Breed" ) rotflmmfao.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#42 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:31 pm

Easter is out for me too, I'll be at a folk festival.

Luckily I still have a TDM to talk about. My house burnt down two days ago and I had toleave the TDM in the garage as the steering was locked and I wasnt going back upstairs to the burning bit to retrieve keys etc.

The TDM just needs a good clean, it got covered in ash and water. My wifes bike also left in the garage has a slightly scorched seat, but we have no keys for that one.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#43 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:23 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Mon 28th Dec 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luckily I still have a TDM to talk about. My house burnt down two days ago and I had toleave the TDM in the garage as the steering was locked and I wasnt going back upstairs to the burning bit to retrieve keys etc.
Al

Al, thats rotten luck, sorry to hear that..........you seem to be taking it in your stride!
2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#44 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:25 pm

Eeeeks. Glad you are ok Al even if the boikes were not quite as lucky!

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#45 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:39 am

The TDM just needs a good clean, it got covered in ash and water. My wifes bike also left in the garage has a slightly scorched seat, but we have no keys for that one.

Al

That's terrible news Al,

I seriously hope that no-one was hurt. I also hope that you haven't lost a lifetime of treasured memories and hard earned investment.

Whatever the outcome, for your belongings, remember it's just "stuff" and it's not worth getting too sad over. Some friends lost everything in the Victorian fires earlier this year, it was a kick in the guts for them and the insurance wasn't the great rescue it was billed to be, but they've found the way forward and, if anything, they actually appear a whole lot happier with life and each other. (He got out of fixing all that old stuff around the house that she was always on his back about... whereas now they're building a new nest... together.)

Hoping not to sound like Peter Pan,
AzzA.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#46 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:39 am

So sorry to hear this, just awful. All the best with the recovery, 2010 just has to be better!
Graeme

#47 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:23 am

Hi All, Shane has advised me that TDUT is Thunder Down Under Tour which is a great name. Had offered to assist Shane with any local contacts for accommodation and to organise a ride(s) using not only Great Alpine Road and Omeo Highway but the lesser roads with maybe a bit of (good) dirt and a bit of the local history (pioneers and gold) thrown in.
Wasnt seeking to organise the thing but after talking with Shane will try to push it along a little further and see what happens. Goodwill works wonders and i am sure we are all on the same train here. Others are willing to help i'm told.
It would seem that a rally that ties in with Phillip Island is the preferred option. Easter is not the time to be here on bikes.
Can we have some thoughts on the timing of that and anything else?
From a local point of view: (assuming post PI)
*this time is good, its generally quiet with the PI traffic the only real activity.
*Weather tends to be pretty good but its never a sure thing, nights will be cold.
*Will need to check with accommodation options to see what the occupation rate is on the Monday / Tuesday after PI.
*How long is this thing?
cheers Graeme

#48 aussie9

aussie9

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:31 am

Luckily I still have a TDM to talk about. My house burnt down two days ago and I had to leave the TDM in the garage as the steering was locked and I wasn't going back upstairs to the burning bit to retrieve keys etc.

Al

Al, tragic news about the house. Good to know you and the wife are ok. (and the TDM)

Ian
miles <===> smiles

#49 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:33 pm

Al, sorry to here about the fire. My best to you & yours for a recovery to a better & brighter 2010.

Graeme, I believe the RTT's in UK/Europe usually go for about a week & that would seem reasonable as I'm sure there are plenty of options for riding.

After Phillip Island sounds good to me, weather shouldn't be too bad by then hopefully.

Can someone upload a map of western VIC with some possible ride routes marked on it ?
Just a thought so we can get an idea of prefered rides & places of interest to check out.
everyone's input is needed to make this happen.

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#50 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:39 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Tue 5th Jan 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Al, sorry to here about the fire. My best to you & yours for a recovery to a better & brighter 2010.

Graeme, I believe the RTT's in UK/Europe usually go for about a week & that would seem reasonable as I'm sure there are plenty of options for riding.

After Phillip Island sounds good to me, weather shouldn't be too bad by then hopefully.

Can someone upload a map of western VIC with some possible ride routes marked on it ?
Just a thought so we can get an idea of prefered rides & places of interest to check out.

How far west? There are some good tracks through the Sunset National Park, hope you like sand! laugh.gif Masterbrewer has some good ride reports for far west Vic....

Here's the route plan from my ride to the high country a few weeks ago:

Google Maps link

I met a couple of guys on CBR1000's who spoke very highly of the section of the Great Alpine Road from Omeo to Bairnsdale, but it wasn't part of my itinerary.

The Great Alpine way from Khancoban to Thredbo is brilliant riding.

The road from Adaminaby to Kiandra to Khankoban is also a great ride.

Lockhart Gap road-Omeo highway to Dartmouth dam was a bit of fun but fairly relaxed...

Omeo to Falls Creek via Omeo highway/Bogong High plains road was very scenic esp. near Omeo, and the ride down from Falls Creek to Mt Beauty would have been excellent in the dry but it was cold and wet when I did it.

Tawonga gap road Mt Beauty to Bright is awesome riding and shouldn't be missed...

Following the River from Corryong along the Vic side of the Hume to the dam wall was a relaxing and scenic ride.

Best ride of the trip was Bright to Omeo, no question.

It's all good!

I've done this ride recently but I'd do it again anytime if I had the time, it was a great ride.

#51 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:30 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Tue 5th Jan 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Shane, so it might be Tuesday to Sunday after the races? One of the benefits of the Omeo Region is that it is fairly central to the really good riding country in every direction so basing a rally here gives great scope for rides over a number of days. At that time of year there is the additional benefit of it being quiet with regard to other visitors. And as Cypher has indicated the roads are so good that repeating them is not a problem, i ride my 17km to the creek (swifts creek) and back daily and its always interesting. So assuming that omeo region would be its base i can give you an idea of what some rides might look like. Rather than bore you all to death in one go can i do it over the next few days?, a ride at a time. I can see that you have all nodded your heads in a resigned sort of way so I will. Because the weather is such an unknown (until it happens) any ride plan is flexible. Am keeping clearly in mind that we want an adventure but not a bad experience and so any gravel roads are good ones that any vehicle could handle (except for scraping the air dam on the commodore or falcon) and if its been wet, we just wouldnt. So on the first day its a bit of an introduction to the area and no great mileage is envisaged (around 200km ?)
Lets say the base is the Little River Inn at Ensay (35mins south of Omeo) and we have all had a good nights sleep and have breakfasted etc. Head off about 9am toward Omeo but go via Boonabirra Hill Road and Swifts Creek East Road as far as Swifts Ck. We cross the GAR in the middle of town and head along the Cassilis Rd. After 10 delighful kms we stop at Tongio West and I will tell you something about this important historic area and then we would ride a little way off road to look at the King Cassilis mine area and then perhaps a little further along Powers Gully to check out the site of the Cassilis GMC treatment plant. The time spent at these places is entirely dependant on the interest you yourselves have in it but when we finish its back onto the Cassilis Rd and some more excellent road to Omeo for coffee / fuel/ etc. As its not quite lunch time yet we head out on the GAR for 22kms to Victoria Falls Historic Area to have a bit of a look at what remains of Victorias first hydro electric scheme which was built to provide power to the Cassilis GMC mine you saw earlier at Tongio West. A well executed scheme that failed, again how long spent here is up to you. Lets assume its a late lunch back at Omeo and then maybe a little run out to Benambra and back (brilliant road 22km each way) before heading for Ensay via the GAR or back along the Cassilis Rd (cause its so good). A well earned bit of tucker and a good sleep. Tomorrow, the Mt Beauty, Myrtleford, Hotham loop.
Feel free to say if you think this sucks, will only be offended for a month or two-----
cheers Graeme

#52 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:00 am

No sucking here... sounds good. good.gif drinks.gif

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#53 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:28 am

Some sucking here but only because I will only be reading about it! Do you have any rough date planned? I thought that had been discussed but couldnt find it.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#54 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:00 am

Graeme,
Day 1 sounds great, local history would be an absolute bonus. You will recognise this picture which I took last year on The Casillis Road on a 4 day bicycle trip from Albury to Bairnsdale via Mt Beauty, Falls Creek, Anglers Rest, Omeo, Bruthen etc. It is a delightful area you live in.

Also took the Doctors Flat Road from Swifts Creek to Ensay where where we stopped for a pie. As we were getting ready to leave for Bruthen a young mother pulled up in her car and asked us where we'd come from. When we told her she said and I quote 'Youse are awesome'. Now when ever we need a lift we repeat this to each other!

Looking forward to Day 2
Cheers,
Rick
2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#55 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:51 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Thu 7th Jan 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some sucking here but only because I will only be reading about it! Do you have any rough date planned? I thought that had been discussed but couldnt find it.

Post Phillip Island Races which is 2nd week October (someone will be more precise).

So, today we are off to do the loop from Ensay (after a good breakfast) to the other side of the mountains and back over Mt Hotham. Straight up to Omeo on the GAR today, fuel. Coffee could wait until the Blue Duck (Anglers Rest) maybe. "Blue Duck" by the way refers to a dodgy gold mine or gold mine deal i believe (no shortage of those in this area). The road out here is good and sealed but narrow and very windy. It remains that way for some time past the duck and some car drivers get quite frustrated by the constant bends and get lazy about which side of the road they should be on so real care is needed. Likewise concentration and sensible riding for the bikes but its not a road you will forget!.

Its about 40 km fro Omeo when we turn off the Omeo Hwy and head up towards Falls Creek. Buckety Plains Road is one name, Bogong High Plains Road another. This road was sealed just last year and is good fun. After 20 odd kms you come out onto the high plains and more open country.

Several kms more and the Rocky Valley storage which you ride around the edge of for some way, its just stunning and at the time of year we are talking about there will be some snow to see most likely.

From here its on to Falls Creek and the run down to Mt Beauty. This is a sensational bit of road, even though its speed limited (60 and 80km). Camber is good, surface smooth.

Past Mt Beauty there are a couple of options on how to cross over to the Great Alpine Road at Bright or Myrtleford and grab some lunch, either of the ways across are excellent in themselves.
After a bit of tucker we start the run back via Myrtleford and the run up to Mt Hotham. 100 speed limit here but the road is not as well cambered or surfaced so care is needed. But its a wonderful trip and the final kms approaching Hotham are awesomely beautiful and fun! There may be a few people around still winding up from the ski season but generally its quiet and the summit car park makes a good photo

It remains to make the very pleasant trip back to Omeo (the Renault ads of a few years ago were shot along this section) and a fuel stop before making our way to Ensay after a very satisfying day of riding. You have crossed the Great Divide twice. About 350 -400kms depending on crossover choice.
Am going on a ride tomorrow (Friday) to Corryong and along the Murray Valley Hwy then back via Mitta Mitta so all being well will make that tomorrows installment-----
cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 07 January 2010 - 11:19 am.

#56 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:09 am

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Thu 7th Jan 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme,
Day 1 sounds great, local history would be an absolute bonus. You will recognise this picture which I took last year on The Casillis Road on a 4 day bicycle trip from Albury to Bairnsdale via Mt Beauty, Falls Creek, Anglers Rest, Omeo, Bruthen etc. It is a delightful area you live in.

Also took the Doctors Flat Road from Swifts Creek to Ensay where where we stopped for a pie. As we were getting ready to leave for Bruthen a young mother pulled up in her car and asked us where we'd come from. When we told her she said and I quote 'Youse are awesome'. Now when ever we need a lift we repeat this to each other!

Looking forward to Day 2
Cheers,
Rick

Hi Rick, you posted while i was writing trip2. I admire you for doing it on a pushbike, youse are awesome! The bloody boat. Its about 9kms down the road from me. Chas Rose bought it years ago as a project, ex fishing trawler from Lakes Entrance. Who knows what its fate will be--- The scarecrow hanging off it is one of many to be seen around the area, mostly around easter but they tend to perservere. Its an arts project thats been going foe some years and gives some really good results. Ensay store is the other one and its not far from here that the Little River Inn is. If the rally group was wanting to support local business then Kim would love you to buy fuel here (Omeo is small business too but Kim has made a real effort to make a go of this place). Maybe we could have lunch here one day too.
For others info Doctors Flat Road is same as Boonabirra Hill Rd.
cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 07 January 2010 - 11:12 am.

#57 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:13 pm

QUOTE(graeme @ Thu 7th Jan 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Post Phillip Island Races which is 2nd week October (someone will be more precise).

I'll need dates before I can commit, wont be going to PI so that makes no difference. I have two weeks off in October so the mid week thing is a definite maybe if its the right week (NSW school hols, it comes with the job).

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#58 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:39 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Thu 7th Jan 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makes a nice change from us Oz lot only reading about your RRT's wink.gif Graeme, day1 sounds tops yeahyeahyeah.gif Photos show the promise of some good rides. Straight after PI GP looks the go to me as well. good.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 08 January 2010 - 11:43 am.

#59 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:34 pm

Ride 3 (modified)
Well we went for a ride today, had one other bike for company, Alf and his son an older 600 Tenere. 450km or so, more than we would want to do with a group i would think but the longer trip came about because Alf hadnt done the Falls Creek Rd since it was sealed and he wanted to, so we went a bit further in order to do that.
Anyway back to the future----, we have had a good nights sleep thanks to the previous days ride and perhaps a drink or two and are raring to go. Its off to Omeo for fuel and then on towards Benambra. This is a lovely piece of road that goes for about 22kms with a climb then opening out onto the High Plains where first European settlement took place in 1835. Lake Omeo is visible as you ride but usually has no water. Another ride will take us around that or maybe across it.

Its unusual in that this part of Australia was opened up from the inland to the sea, its usually vice versa. The first settlers were cattlemen who were looking for better pastures with drought being very bad on the Monaro. They opened up as far as Sale, Victoria didnt exist then, this was NSW. Until 1866 Omeo was the seat of power for gippsland, it was Alfred Howitt who took himself and the power to Bairnsdale in 66. He had been in Omeo for a few years having been appointed Magistrate (Mining Warden) as a reward for leading the rescue mission for Bourke and Wills. as i understand it Benambra was considered one of the possibilities for the site of the nations capital which of course ended up being a bit further up, Canberra.
Through benambra and onto gravel road which is ok, you just need to be a bit careful. Wasnt far before came across this bloke who had stopped to take photo of a 5km sign which you dont see very often, i took one too. Some of you may recognize him, i have forgotten the name but he has been involved in the Alpine Rally for ever apparently and the bike is a classic R75.

A Fair bit further and a great view of Mt Bogong which is significant in that in a few hours we will be riding along the other side of it as we approach Mt Beauty.

Not far away is this reference point

The gravel continues for a while, as far as Nariel where the sealed takes over and what a grouse run it is to the t intersection 8 km from Corryopng.
Into Corryong for a bite to eat and then off towards Tallangatta on the Murray Valley Hwy which is a nice bit of road

While we went past Tallangatta to pass over to the Kiewa Valley this ride was originally intended to take an earlier turn towards Mitta Mitta, some more gravel and then to Omeo via Blue Duck. Except for the relief of the Murray Valley Hwy (not a put down) this ride is one of nonstop twisties on a variety of surfaces with spectacular scenery thrown in, perfect TDM country.
Tomorrow?, hmmm what about something in the direction of Buchan?
But a bit of a PS. Todays ride covered a large area, we rode for nearly 8 hours and except for a part of it near Tallangatta it was all through country burnt during the 2003 Alpine Fires. A 100,000 hectare fire is huge, this was a 1,100,000 hectare fire. The fire front was 1200 kms long at one point. This pic is from near the Blue Duck, the concrete bridge that some will know over the Bundarra River, 9 feb 2003.

Edited by graeme, 10 January 2010 - 11:59 am.

#60 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:03 pm

QUOTE(graeme @ Fri 8th Jan 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Through benambra and onto gravel road which is ok, you just need to be a bit careful. Wasnt far before came across this bloke who had stopped to take photo of a 5km sign which you dont see very often, i took one too. Some of you may recognize him, i have forgotten the name but he has been involved in the Alpine Rally for ever apparently and the bike is a classic R75.

Graeme,
That is Henning Jorgenson. He is a contract draftsman who has just come back to where I work and is the guy I described in a recent post.
He bought the R75 about 20 years ago when it had 25k miles on the clock, now it has 500k miles! or so.
Henning doesnt own a car and is an avowed motorcyclist. Routinely he will head off on long trips with his swag, camp beside the road or whereever if he feels like it.
Henning is in the BMW club of Vic and organises the Alpine Rally. He told me he was heading for Brindabella this weekend.
A true gentleman of the road and pleasure to know !
Rick

Edited by Snigdog, 08 January 2010 - 09:04 pm.

2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users