#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:11 pm

No line on the float bowl on mk2a carbs Dabs. A conflab with Obi wan Kinobe is needed to adjust the fuel levels. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:00 pm

No line on the float bowl on mk2a carbs Dabs. A conflab with Obi wan Kinobe is needed to adjust the fuel levels. :lol:

There is a line buddy, just not in the usual place, YZF1000 Thunderace use the same carbs and i've downloaded a PDF which shows how to set the fuel height, also found a video where it's done the same way.. also the TA carb kits should fit if needed, dunno about mulsion tubes though if that should become necessary..

I've swung for a set from GNMoto along with an air box, saw a video of the bike running before dismantling so fingers crossed i can wup em on without drama, figured it was only money i did'nt spend on petrol in the end..

Also re-fixed the leak on me float bowl again so they'll do as back up.. 

This is the video but you need to fast forward a bit..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:38 pm

Lolzio. Entertaining vid that..and perfectly illustrates why I have always used float height to adjust.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:47 pm

There is a line buddy, just not in the usual place, YZF1000 Thunderace use the same carbs and i've downloaded a PDF which shows how to set the fuel height, also found a video where it's done the same way.. also the TA carb kits should fit if needed, dunno about mulsion tubes though if that should become necessary..

I've swung for a set from GNMoto along with an air box, saw a video of the bike running before dismantling so fingers crossed i can wup em on without drama, figured it was only money i did'nt spend on petrol in the end..

Also re-fixed the leak on me float bowl again so they'll do as back up.. 

This is the video but you need to fast forward a bit..

Yeah, perhaps I should have elaborated.  The measurement for the mk2a carbs as given in the Haynes has no bearing on any markings on the float bowls.  Hence no measurement to use as a guide.

Good find with the thunderace PDF though. :good:  Be great if the measurements are useable on the mk2a carbs and deffo worth putting in KB if they are.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:57 pm

Lolzio. Entertaining vid that..and perfectly illustrates why I have always used float height to adjust.

But do you know what the float height is for mk2a carbs ?

#26 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:25 pm

When I give a set of carbs a clean out I spray carb cleaner through the various orifices then use an air line dont adjust feck all put them on and see what happens because I do believe you can get too involved in setting things up spot on and you can feck it up and you wont know if it was you or the carbs were shoite to start with.

so get some MK2a carbs clean em and put them on if shoite take them off and feck about.

I have a set of vacume gauges that I got when I had a Z1000J spent ages getting them equal but when I stopped bothering the thing still ran fine so I just do the simple things in life now try it and see.

#27 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:25 pm

Yeah, perhaps I should have elaborated.  The measurement for the mk2a carbs as given in the Haynes has no bearing on any markings on the float bowls.  Hence no measurement to use as a guide.

Good find with the thunderace PDF though. :good:  Be great if the measurements are useable on the mk2a carbs and deffo worth putting in KB if they are.

When I give a set of carbs a clean out I spray carb cleaner through the various orifices then use an air line dont adjust feck all put them on and see what happens because I do believe you can get too involved in setting things up spot on and you can feck it up and you wont know if it was you or the carbs were shoite to start with.

so get some MK2a carbs clean em and put them on if shoite take them off and feck about.

I have a set of vacume gauges that I got when I had a Z1000J spent ages getting them equal but when I stopped bothering the thing still ran fine so I just do the simple things in life now try it and see.

Righto Mick while reading Studleys post that's the same conclusion i came to, i'll do likewise then..

Surely somebody has had to check fuel levels on a mk2a at some point ! or is it try and try again ??

Edited by dablik, 20 September 2020 - 08:35 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#28 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:35 pm

But do you know what the float height is for mk2a carbs ?

No dont know that, struggling to find any info furrit.....bassads.

#29 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:37 pm

Do the carbs sit at the same angle on the thunderace? Would make a difference to the fuel height required.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#30 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:38 pm

Do the carbs sit at the same angle on the thunderace? Would make a difference to the fuel height required.

Dont think so Dave as the fuel levels given for both bikes are different.....be good to find a thunderace someplace to measure the angle.

#31 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:01 pm

But fuel levels are near enough between T.A and Mk2a (Haynes gives a smaller level)  JBX and the Mk2a supplementary manual both quote below figure for Mk2a.

T.A ---  4.1-5.1

Mk2a-  4.4-5.4  

Re syncing carbs, assume mk2a has hoses off each carb as it has an lekky fool pump.

Edited by dablik, 21 September 2020 - 01:10 pm.

#32 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:40 pm

Mk2a bike has blanked out hoses running off the inlet stubs.  Soooo, syncing mk2a carbs on a mk1 would be same as doing the mk1.

Seem to remember having no problems with mk2a carbs at all once I'd syced them so I doubt you'd need to alter fuel levels unless someone's been in there before you and messed things up.  Brass choke plungers, better modified sliders, brass float needle housing, all stuff much more robust on mk2a carbs. :)

I'd fit 'em on my mk1 if I had the desire to spend some money on it. :lol:

#33 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:28 pm

Mk2a bike has blanked out hoses running off the inlet stubs.  Soooo, syncing mk2a carbs on a mk1 would be same as doing the mk1.

Seem to remember having no problems with mk2a carbs at all once I'd syced them so I doubt you'd need to alter fuel levels unless someone's been in there before you and messed things up.  Brass choke plungers, better modified sliders, brass float needle housing, all stuff much more robust on mk2a carbs. :)

I'd fit 'em on my mk1 if I had the desire to spend some money on it. :lol:

Yea not gonna fiddle with them, a quick clean and fit them, i'll check fuel level once on and just for grins iffin there okay i might measure float height then, be good to know, but maybe not!!!!

Edit..They went on sale Saturday and seen the vid of bike running just before they pulled them, so hoping all is good..

Edited by dablik, 21 September 2020 - 04:29 pm.

#34 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:08 pm

Just bought a set of Mk2a carbs on ebay, just need an air filter box and choke wire to go with it. Getting tired of this carb fettlin' 😁
Bjørge

#35 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:22 pm

Just bought a set of Mk2a carbs on ebay, just need an air filter box and choke wire to go with it. Getting tired of this carb fettlin'

I'm sure MickC mentioned using the existing choke cable Bjorge ?

#36 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:13 am

I'm sure MickC mentioned using the existing choke cable Bjorge ?

You're right! I misread that line  :P . Thanks, saved me a few $/£/€ !

Bjørge

#37 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:57 pm

Yeah choke cable starts in a different place but attaches on carb the same way.......Got to say though my choke wont stay pulled out so baisically hold ot out to start give it like 10 secs (not timed it) then let go and it drops back in,dont know if i have a problem somewhere but dosent bother me,i think it is an old cable so maybe just a bit tired.

#38 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:43 pm

Yeah choke cable starts in a different place but attaches on carb the same way.......Got to say though my choke wont stay pulled out so baisically hold ot out to start give it like 10 secs (not timed it) then let go and it drops back in,dont know if i have a problem somewhere but dosent bother me,i think it is an old cable so maybe just a bit tired.

I had a problem with the choke not going off when knob is pushed back, added a coupla springs to make it act like yours 😎
Bjørge

#39 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:40 pm

Mine's the same, can't be arsed to sort it. :lol:

#40 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:22 pm

Snap... Mine used to be pull out and twist to hold that choke setting... Now it needs to be held out man Welly
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users