#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:22 pm

...could be done by means of a frequency divider + maybe a preamp, but do you dare to hook into the ABS ?  :blink: If wires are interchanged, you will disable brake every n rotations  :D

Mine doesn't have ABS, but if it did an optoisolator would provide enough isolation for the cost of a few pennies

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:12 pm

Winner, winner, chicken curry dinner. :D

I feel like Piri Piri tonight :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:25 pm

I've just ordered one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycle-Trigger-Delay-1-Channel-Relay-Module-6-30V-Timer-Circuit-Switch-Adjustable/292098356499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  

In mode P7 it should be able to count speed sensor pulses (isolated input), activate a relay, and turn the relay off after another pulse count threshold has been reached

#24 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:02 am

Mine doesn't have ABS, but if it did an optoisolator would provide enough isolation for the cost of a few pennies

Sure  :good: I think I'd prefer not to interact with ABS, though - e.g. using a light barrier, a pickup coil, hall sensor or similar....

I've just ordered one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycle-Trigger-Delay-1-Channel-Relay-Module-6-30V-Timer-Circuit-Switch-Adjustable/292098356499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  

In mode P7 it should be able to count speed sensor pulses (isolated input), activate a relay, and turn the relay off after another pulse count threshold has been reached

A possible loophole: Counting n pulses -> stop bike with ignition on (before number of pulses req'd for deactivation reached) -> empties entire reservoir..... :sorry:

But kinda amazing; that board costs nothing......

Bjørge

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:09 am

Sure  :good: I think I'd prefer not to interact with ABS, though - e.g. using a light barrier, a pickup coil, hall sensor or similar....

A possible loophole: Counting n pulses -> stop bike with ignition on (before number of pulses req'd for deactivation reached) -> empties entire reservoir..... :sorry:

But kinda amazing; that board costs nothing......

I'm not interested in ABS interaction, and if I were the ABS light would come on before I'ld moved a meter :) metre, if there was a problem

I thought about the pulse count too, but I'm using a peristaltic pump so delivery is very slow and controlled (the pump has a large ratio gearbox on the motor) which means it operates just like a regular Scottoiler, when the engine is idling and the bike isn't moving the Scottoiler gravity/vacuum system allows oil to flow regardless. But I suppose I could add a retriggerable gate so that it doesn't deliver oil when stationary.

I oil my chain about every 500 miles, in between it gets nothing. Any oil in the interim period is a bonus :)

Edited by fixitsan, 14 June 2018 - 02:58 pm.

#26 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:26 am

Update on my automatic chain-oiler - less waste splattered around the tyre due to more accurate metering :)

Withstood lashing rain, fords, washing, off-roading etc. & never missed a beat.

Knocks spots off the old vacuum system :good:

#27 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:51 am

Update on my automatic chain-oiler - less waste splattered around the tyre due to more accurate metering :)

Withstood lashing rain, fords, washing, off-roading etc. & never missed a beat.

Knocks spots off the old vacuum system :good:

Maybe you could knock a few more up and market them as Fav Sahibs Vindaloober. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#28 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:25 pm

All the talk about chain oilers (another thread), has prompted this update - nearly 2 years and thousands of miles later, my homemade programmable oiler system (AKA Vindaloober  - thanks Muddy), has worked faultlessly throughout.....

Easy to make and cheap enough too.

#29 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:05 pm

Favs do you mind if I make a copy of this oiler ?
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#30 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:38 pm

Go for it Lee - free for all - I'm pretty sure you can make it all a bit smaller in terms of electronics housing and pump size. I mounted the pump and valve inboard of the wingrack I have on my 9er = out of sight.

#31 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:47 pm

Reading through this has made me think about the 12v eberspacher diesel heater pump in my shed, especially linked via speed sensor to control flow to distance travelled, did you manage to tap into that bit Fixitsan? If so how many pulses per mile and where did you tap in?

Could be a job for picaxe microcontroller as I have a few kicking around, not played with them for ages.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:04 pm

Reading through this has made me think about the 12v eberspacher diesel heater pump in my shed, especially linked via speed sensor to control flow to distance travelled, did you manage to tap into that bit Fixitsan? If so how many pulses per mile and where did you tap in?

Could be a job for picaxe microcontroller as I have a few kicking around, not played with them for ages.

In the end i went for an eBay countdown/resettable controller, with a CD4024 counter/divider connected directly to the speed sensor...the faster you go, the more pulses you get, the greater the amount of oil needed to be dispensed. It triggers a small peristaltic pump behind the number plate, built into a Scottoiler high capacity oil reservoir.

It was about £20 using eBay parts

The controller

50116573878_ef2de4a9a6_k.jpg2018-07-12 21.09.14 by Chris Barron, on Flickr

The pump

50117379047_ca40719d72_k.jpg20180712_205621 by Chris Barron, on Flickr

Edited by fixitsan, 15 July 2020 - 11:34 pm.

#33 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:45 pm

I have to report that the Favs patent oiler system works perfectly. Just enough oil and no more. Mine closes relay for 0.3secs every 15 mins. I can increase oil by increase of motor speed. I fitted mine with a priming button which just bridges the relay momentarily.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#34 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:35 pm

I have to report that the Favs patent oiler system works perfectly. Just enough oil and no more. Mine closes relay for 0.3secs every 15 mins. I can increase oil by increase of motor speed. I fitted mine with a priming button which just bridges the relay momentarily.

Mine remains unused for over a year.....need to do something about this I think

#35 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:06 pm

Someone has given me a diesel heater injection pump which is a pulse pump i.e. power on = 1 stroke so it needs regular pulses to run.I will measure it to see how much oil per stroke it delivers. This may be the Mk2 version.

#36 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:06 pm

I have one of those in my shed and was planning on doing something similar but the pubs reopened and the plan got delayed, I was thinking picaxe microcontroller and relay for the pulses, I'd like to take a pulse from speed sensor to control flow.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#37 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:45 am

All the manuals for eberspacher can be downloaded from a boat varnish website, www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/
They know all the beer secrets.
That should say eber secrets, bloody productive ticks.

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:33 pm

That's the site where I found the stroke volumes for various pumps

#39 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:17 pm

Oiler Mk2 is built using same relay timer to operate a cheap diesel heater injection pump.
This pump is rated 1/60 ml per stroke. Or on a 0.8mm welding liner nib one drop exactly. This is a solenoid pump so it needs pulsed power. Just a quick on off for a stroke. I set the timer to close relay for 0.4 sec every 4 mins.
This Mk2 version means no pwm controller mo motor or peristaltic pump. They are sealed and designed to live under a motorhome. They cost £10.95 from ebay. You want a 2-5kw heater pump..
To increase flow reduce time between the pulses or increase time to reduce flow.

The pump does not Syphon through as a spring holds the needle valve shut when not operating.

Edited by leehenty, 12 September 2020 - 06:19 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users