#1 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:57 pm

Howdy Folks.
Since my bike is now legal and road worthy, I've been using the 1st tank of fuel just locally on shortish runs to a) Test the bike, b) bed the new brakes in and c) get my eye and confidence back in. I have however noticed (and this is the only thing, so I'm really happy and has exceeded my expectations), that its not quite as forthcoming on acceleration past 4.5 rpms, or if I dump the thottle and go for it. When doing this, it also sounds slightly different to how it did before. Don't get me wrong, its not far off, but enough to notice the hesitation. Sounds sort of like the exhaust could be leaking, so I'll re-seal the joint underneath as a first port of call, but to the more savvy out there, could this be a carb problem? They did sync up nice, and stationary reving, there is no lumps or hesitation at all. Smooth rev all the way up and down, even when cold.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:24 pm

What aboot yer carb to hairbox wubbers?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:35 pm

What aboot yer carb to hairbox wubbers?

I did the silicon mod quite some time ago, and when I re-fitted them, they seemed ok. I shall doubly check em. Manifold to carb rubbers are new-uns.

#4 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:52 pm

I experienced something quite similar a while back (hesitation) above 5000 RPM, at full throttle. One of the rubber carb membranes ruptured.

You can easily check this by taking the airbox off, start the engine and play with the throttle. Both slides should move up and down simultaneously. If they don't, one of the membranes has likely an issue (leak). In my bike one of them did not move up at all, although both slides went up easily on a finger's push.

I replaced them with some new ones from AliExpress and all is fine since!

#5 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:34 pm

Ah - Thanks a lot Mipe. I will have the tank off and have a good look. I've recently done a carb strip down, and they were ok when I re-fitted them, but its not to say something has gone wrong since. Cheers!

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:56 am

Ah - Thanks a lot Mipe. I will have the tank off and have a good look. I've recently done a carb strip down, and they were ok when I re-fitted them, but its not to say something has gone wrong since. Cheers!

check the diaphragms didn't move when bolting the top down, mine had shrunk slightly unseating them

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:46 am

I'll investigate. Does one need to re-sync carbs if I do end up replacing the diaphragms?

#8 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:19 pm

Just taken it for another lunch time blat, and its defo hesitating - Did a bit more overtaking, and certainly not taking off like it used to. Even at lower revs. Idle is lovely, as is stationary reving. Carbs off again and diaphragm inspection. Am I right in thinking new-uns are jeffing expensive, or did I dream that?

#9 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:30 pm

Can you give it a bit of choke when it starts hesitating?

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:04 pm

NRP carbs do them

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:43 pm

Can you give it a bit of choke when it starts hesitating?

I'll try next time I give it a ride.

NRP carbs do them

Cheers!

#12 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:30 pm

Just taken it for another lunch time blat, and its defo hesitating - Did a bit more overtaking, and certainly not taking off like it used to. Even at lower revs. Idle is lovely, as is stationary reving. Carbs off again and diaphragm inspection. Am I right in thinking new-uns are jeffing expensive, or did I dream that?

Nope, I ordered mine from AliExpress (you need 2 pcs):

https://www.aliexpre...2493135002.html

If you have time to wait for them. I have two bikes, so I was not to bothered and wanted to try them. Have been running them in the bike for more than a year, now.

I'll investigate. Does one need to re-sync carbs if I do end up replacing the diaphragms?

No, that wasn't needed in my bike. Unless you synched with a big air leak or something like that: you would notice that by rough idling after fitting them.

#13 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:03 am

So, I'm back again after a few weeks of ridiculous business, and finally had the chance to whip the tank off and do some Columbo: 

RHS carb slider is not moving at all, whereas the left is: 

I'm assuming, and 90% sure there is a leak in the RH carb diaphragm. So, I shall order replacements and do both. Here be-ith my questions for you lovely lot (again): 

1 - Can I get away with replacing the diaphragms without taking the carbs completely off and disconnecting the throttle cables? I ask this because a), they were a PAIN to reconnect, and my back at 6ft 6" after doing so, didn't thank me. 

2 - Is replacement the only way to go? - I guess it is. 

The RH slider does move easily with a finger push. 

#14 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:45 pm

So, I'm back again after a few weeks of ridiculous business, and finally had the chance to whip the tank off and do some Columbo: 

RHS carb slider is not moving at all, whereas the left is: 

I'm assuming, and 90% sure there is a leak in the RH carb diaphragm. So, I shall order replacements and do both. Here be-ith my questions for you lovely lot (again): 

1 - Can I get away with replacing the diaphragms without taking the carbs completely off and disconnecting the throttle cables? I ask this because a), they were a PAIN to reconnect, and my back at 6ft 6" after doing so, didn't thank me. 

2 - Is replacement the only way to go? - I guess it is. 

The RH slider does move easily with a finger push. 

1) Yes, I did so a few weeks ago. A bit cramped, but I managed to. If you want more room, remove the carbs from the inlets w/o taking the throttle cable off....

Bjørge

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:33 pm

Be very wary of the tiny lickle o rings that locate next to the diaphragms, esp. if you're not removing the carbs.  The angle of the carbs makes it easy for the o rings to fall out and you'll be lucky to find it if one does drop out of the recess.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:59 pm

As above, rest them on top a little without undoing the throttle linkage, put rags or summit to catch the little oring..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:36 pm

Super - thanks chaps!

Does one need to make sure bowls are emtpy before doing this?

#18 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:54 pm

1. Indeed, removed the carbs from the manifold rubbers, and left the throttle cables attached. Tilted the carbs so the black covers are pretty much on top. Opened them one at a time.

2. Yes.

I did not worry about the carb bowls, I cannot recall any leakage either (or maybe it did not impress me ;) ). You're not putting them completely upside down. You could put a rag below the carbs to be sure or course.

#19 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:34 pm

Super super duper. 

Thanks so much guys, you all is the beees kneees. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users