#21 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:32 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that duibhce I have looked into those still have not disided yet on what to include but I was thinking of:
http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_1

a visit to Cantillon can be very interesting. The Lambic and Geuze beers are very traditional and have only been commercialized relatively recently, so there are still numerous family owned breweries around. Especially in Brussels. They are not to everyones taste though.

Looks like i will be staying here can you tell me what is the score with reguards to parking motorcycles on the street does it cost, is it safe. The hotel has a carpark free to residence at the weekend but costs during the week when I'll be there I have asked about parking the bike there but not had a reply yet.

I am not that familiar with Brussels, but it looks like the hotel is right in the middle of the European quarter. That area gets pretty much deserted at night. Personally I would not leave my bike outside overnight. Anyone with less than good intentions would have plenty of time to lift it in the back of a van without anyone noticing.

Any more suggestions of possible outings

There's probably 101 things you could still visit, but nothing I can think of right now. Perhaps the Butte du Lyon. Although, except for the Lion there's not much else to see there. The museum is just plain boring. But the brasseries make it a nice lunch stop.
If you're into overpriced design nick-nacks sold in Brussels visit the "Zavel". Shops are open on Sunday as well.

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 13 February 2011 - 07:01 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#22 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:12 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 12:07 PM)
Looks like i will be staying here can you tell me what is the score with reguards to parking motorcycles on the street does it cost, is it safe. The hotel has a carpark free to residence at the weekend but costs during the week when I'll be there I have asked about parking the bike there but not had a reply yet.

QUOTE (duibhce Kaelann) I am not that familiar with Brussels, but it looks like the hotel is right in the middle of the European quarter. That area gets pretty much deserted at night. Personally I would not leave my bike outside overnight. Anyone with less than good intentions would have plenty of time to lift it in the back of a van without anyone noticing.)

Going to cost me €20 to park the bike in the hotel carpark ohmy.gif
Is it legal or excepted to lane split/ filter slow moving or stationary traffic ?

TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#23 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:37 pm

This is what I am thinking for a wee run when in Beglium I am only there for 4 days total only 2 full days in Brussels. I will be returning to Brussels at night to meet up with Mrs TDMTAM ,who will be working at a conference there, at night for drinks & meal. Do you think I have taken on to much or do you think this is do'able enjoyably.

http://maps.google.c...r...amp;t=h&z=6

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 04 March 2011 - 09:38 pm.

1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

#24 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:39 pm

Ok this is take 2, what do you think this gives me one day in Brussels to explore it

Day 1 Glasgow to Newcastle international ferry terminal

Day 2 arrive in Amsterdam , Gent , Ypres, Waterloo & Brussels

http://maps.google.c...r...amp;t=h&z=8

Day 3 Brussels, Bastgone, Spa, Liege & brussels

http://maps.google.c...r...amp;t=h&z=9

Day 3 Brussels

Day 4 Homeward bound Brussels to Stopping of in Amsterdam for a shmoke & a pancake.

http://maps.google.c...r...amp;t=h&z=8

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 04 March 2011 - 09:44 pm.

#25 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:58 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it legal or excepted to lane split/ filter slow moving or stationary traffic ?

Regulations for that changed last year. There used to be no specific rules in traffic law that allowed or disallowed it. Police usually tolerated it, unless you were really riding like a w*nker. But it also made it a bit of a lottery for whether you would be in your rights if anything happened.

So new rules were defined that explicitly allow it. You can now legally split lanes under the following conditions:
- traffic is not moving faster than 30km/h
- you are not going more than 10km/h faster than the other traffic
- if there are multiple lanes you should do it between the 2 leftmost lanes

Nobody really follows these rules though, and police don't really care. So in practice nothing much has changed rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Day 2 arrive in Amsterdam , Gent , Ypres, Waterloo & Brussels

It may be a challenge to do all of that and still enjoy it. I'd choose between Ghent and Ypres (with a slight personal preference for Ypres). Otherwise it may be a bit too much like the Japanese tours of Europe: get out of the bus, take piccies for 20 minutes, on to the next city...

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Day 3 Brussels, Bastgone, Spa, Liege & brussels

looks nice. You could even go for some smaller and more twisty roads between Bastogne, Spa and the cemetery...

And that does indeed leave you with a day to explore Brussels.
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#26 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:15 am

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sat 5th Mar 2011, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regulations for that changed last year. Police usually tolerated it, unless you were really riding like a w*nker.
So new rules were defined that explicitly allow it. You can now legally split lanes under the following conditions: Thanks for the advice

I'd choose between Ghent and Ypres (with a slight personal preference for Ypres). Noted
looks nice. You could even go for some smaller and more twisty roads between Bastogne, Spa and the cemetery... I am looking into that now

Many thanks for your help
TAM

#27 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:31 am

See you guys in a week.
Off to enjoy Belgium, Also after 20 odd years of biking this is my First time on the bike in Europe ( Sad I know)
TAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users