• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:46 pm

so anyone use them,  or better stihl has anyone used the older E21's and upgraded to the newer E22's and have an opinion please?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:47 am

Can't speak about the E22, but bought a pair of E21 panniers of Frajit here and love 'em. I use them for every day use instead of a top box, which I always hated the look of. Being top loading they're easy to load up and rummage in. I've got bigger E45 for touring.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:56 am

I went from V35 to E22 and never looked back. The V35 were just too big for me as I wanted a set I could use every day and the 35's are big buggers, my heart skipped a beat every time I was filtering through traffic as they stuck out too much, 22's are perfect. Side opening as well which is good for touring but day to day I found a pain the 22's are top opening.

As for the E21's I looked at them but personally preferred the straight lines of the 22's against the more rounded 21's. But I have to say you can get loads in them. Look for Kappa e22 as well these are exactly the same as Givi but sometimes cheaper as your not paying for a big brand name!

The bike now looks completely different from the top picture as that was when I first got my 9er 4 years ago.

Attached Files

Edited by Latestarter, 31 December 2016 - 08:00 am.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#4 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:50 am

I've just picked up a pair of the Kappa k22s before christmas to replace my e21s but have yet to use them - however one advantage I have noticed is that they sit a bit higher so I've more clearance from my Laser duo Techs than before.

I'll put mine on the other way round to latestarter's picture  with the top lower at the front so it looks like I'll find it easier getting my leg over............

They do seem very well built but then again one of my e21s survived a trip down the M20 into the central reservation.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:20 am

Firstly the 22s seem flimsy compared to the E35/36/45 but are a lot lighter.

I like the 22s for hacking through traffic although they are not much narrower than the E35/6.

The push button locking system seems to work well so far.

I find them (E22) ideal for weekend/3-4 day visits when combined with top box or tailpack/tankbag.

There is a width comparison post of sorts somewhere.

Photos are here post #15
http://www.carpe-tdm...ic=33801&page=1

Edited by Favs, 31 December 2016 - 09:26 am.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:18 pm

Firstly the 22s seem flimsy compared to the E35/36/45 but are a lot lighter.
I like the 22s for hacking through traffic although they are not much narrower than the E35/6.
The push button locking system seems to work well so far.
I find them (E22) ideal for weekend/3-4 day visits when combined with top box or tailpack/tankbag.
There is a width comparison post of sorts somewhere.
Photos are here post #15
http://www.carpe-tdm...ic=33801&page=1

Perfect summary Favs ...

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:07 pm

:wifgeni:  Pretty much agree with Favs, a bit flimsy, but been holding up well to daily commuting duties after a couple of months. I got them in a sale from Bikebitz, so only paid £85 for them. I use them with my E46 topbox for commuting over winter as I have so much sh*te to carry. Tools & puncture repair kit in one, waterproofs and spare gloves in t'other. Laptop, work clothes, etc, in the topbox.  Thoroughly waterproof so far. I don't think that they add to the width at the widest part of the bike, but they do add width where previously there was little, so a little more caution when filtering necessary, particularly when weaving around the pillocks in BMWs & Audis who seem to like sitting in the middle of the road :punishment: .

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:24 pm

:wifgeni:  Pretty much agree with Favs, a bit flimsy, but been holding up well to daily commuting duties after a couple of months. I got them in a sale from Bikebitz, so only paid £85 for them. I use them with my E46 topbox for commuting over winter as I have so much sh*te to carry. Tools & puncture repair kit in one, waterproofs and spare gloves in t'other. Laptop, work clothes, etc, in the topbox.  Thoroughly waterproof so far. I don't think that they add to the width at the widest part of the bike, but they do add width where previously there was little, so a little more caution when filtering necessary, particularly when weaving around the pillocks in BMWs & Audis who seem to like sitting in the middle of the road :punishment: .

Next time ya pass one that's moved over......give me a wave ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:49 am

I would also agree with Favs.  They do seem flimsy to me.  I never used E21s, so those may be just as flimsy, but the E22s are definitely not as sturdy as the larger Givi panniers I have used. 

Personally, I find the E22s a little small.  I would prefer something in the 30L range, but the choices were limited with my racks.  (I find the Givi E41s way too big).  But the top opening is nice.  But because they are so flimsy, they flex and don't close as easily as other boxes.  I also agree with others that they look more stylish than the E21s,

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:05 pm

Next time ya pass one that's moved over......give me a wave ;)

An Audi that moves over? Pull the other one  :rotflmmfao:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:55 pm

I used to have E21s and moved to E22s.

IMHO, the '21s are slightly narrower, but believe it or not, you can stuff a little more in them as the carry handle is a strap on top of the lid rather than moulded into it. The '22s look much better and are of stiffer construction, but seem more brittle. I've not had a problem with anything breaking with either of them.

Edited by Johnners, 11 January 2017 - 01:55 pm.

#12 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 pm

Oops. Replied to wrong post :blush2:  :istupid:

Edited by TinTin, 12 January 2017 - 04:16 pm.

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:49 am

Ok anyone wanna add some more sage advice to this topic (hazlenut in every bite) please? 

I already have some very old larger panniers that are not entirely necessary and are Mono Lock as opposed to Mono Key but i can easily convert me Kappa wing rack back to accept the Mono Key type of fitment.

Mole runs those V35's on her Versys,  me MKI has very old but mint condition Givi luggage which i may sell as we have too much luggage.  Anyone else found the E22's appear brittle compared to the tried and tested E21's ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:08 am

Not such an upgrade if brittle hey! Never seen e22s so dunno by comparison.

One of the multi round the worlders left her boike at no sheets once and she swore by Flexi plastic pan ears ... She started with BMW type sandwich tins but on the first spill were difficult to open/shut whack back into shape so preferred plastic .. Brittle plastic doesn't sound loike mush fun if you plan on stacking it.

And why was it so hard at poo fix to wedge a 5 litre can of zinsser 1-2-3 bullseye into a 21 litre pan ear!?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:49 pm

I'm using the Kappa K33N cases for some years now. Just a tad smaller than the V35 from Givi.

Just received a second set for my wife's TDM900.

Both sets bought from ebay from amr-1984, but there are cheaper options available at the moment: cheap-ass, and the rack is included!

They come with an extra lock for your topcase , so they all can be locked with the same key! Pretty thoughtful!

And all that for just 300 pounds, and very sturdy :cool:

Just a few cm. wider than the handlebar.

Attached Files

Edited by PeterM91, 28 May 2018 - 07:55 pm.

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:00 am

Not such an upgrade if brittle hey! Never seen e22s so dunno by comparison.

One of the multi round the worlders left her boike at no sheets once and she swore by Flexi plastic pan ears ... She started with BMW type sandwich tins but on the first spill were difficult to open/shut whack back into shape so preferred plastic .. Brittle plastic doesn't sound loike mush fun if you plan on stacking it.

And why was it so hard at poo fix to wedge a 5 litre can of zinsser 1-2-3 bullseye into a 21 litre pan ear!?

ROTFLMAO   it took me a minute to realise ya meant 'no sheet Sherlock' !  Ya i remember ya telling me bout she many moons ago, a proper RTW burd,  tink hers be from Norf Devon.   If ya struggled to get that tin of primer in the pannier i guess that means it's stiff n' rigid so must be strong.  i loike the simple look of the E21's but i will compare them to the E22's at CMS motorcycles in Exeter if they have they in stock and make me mind up.

Tanks fir the onions so far peeps.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:52 am

Imagine snake eating a rat.... They kinda flexed out as the tin went in and then deflected back enough to shut the lid.

Yeah gerrum both in yer MIT's then Ewell know which suits
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#18 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:16 am

I have a set of E22's on mine. Love them. they are just the right size for me. Any bigger and I just fill them up with shit! 

I think the shape looks a lot more integral than the standard formless round pannier look, and the top opening means all your shit doesnt fall out when you open them! 

thumbs up from me. 

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:50 am

I have a set of E22's on mine. Love them. they are just the right size for me. Any bigger and I just fill them up with shit! 

I think the shape looks a lot more integral than the standard formless round pannier look, and the top opening means all your shit doesnt fall out when you open them! 

thumbs up from me. 

tank yew Coxy.  I can getta new pair fer £145 in Exeter,  i stihl ain't bought um yet.

#20 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:59 am