83 replies to this topic

#1 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:34 pm

Hi all.

So after having problems with my tdm850 mk1 engine, found a replacement engine and soon I will be ready for the swap. I'll be borrowing tools from a friend, so would be great if you could advice on what tools would I need for it? I can imagine what basic tools I will need, but maybe something specific?

All your advice is appreciated! I can't wait to do it and then boast here how cool am I.

#2 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:42 pm

Just normal spanners sockets Allan keys and a trolley jack helps to lift it into position

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:45 am

Does the tool list include removing old enjun? Oil assume it does.

Does the tool list include fitting ancillaries? Oil assume it does.

Cake
Camcorder/camera
Masking tape
Marker pen
Monkey pith
Heat gun/blow torch
Torque wrenches
ACF50
Alternator holdy tool
Tree legged pullers
+500 other bits you may or may not need.

If you are just swapping over complete ready to go units adjust list accordingly.

Hope it goes well.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:26 pm

Thanks guys. Well, I'll try to gather everything I can get my hands on. Will post my progress, I'm sure there will be questions I will need help with, so talk soon! Very exciting

#5 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:32 pm

Hi!

Bike is almost ready for the engine swap. Have no centre stand, neither paddock stand. Any chance I can get away without needing to buy a paddock stand? Anyone has one of simple genius solutions?
Thanks a bunch!

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:37 pm

£20-£25 rear paddock stand is my only genius idea.  You could get a few mates to help you with the last few bolts and removing the engine perhaps ?

Remember to loosen the front sprocket nut before you take the chain off, you can then chock the rear wheel, or use the rear brake when undoing the nut.  You'll prolly need to loosen the rear wheel, rear caliper bracket bolt and slide the wheel forward to get the chain off.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:48 pm

You could thread a metal rod through the eng.... Oh no wait. :Lolzio:

Have a paddock stand that I can loan.... Might even been passing by this eve and could drop it off.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:55 pm

ChrisG used a tall step ladder and strapped his bike under it but I dunno how stable that would be for removing the engine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:34 pm

Dropped Charlies engine onto the floor with plenty of padding and rags underneath, use a car jack with a bit of wood, just need steadying hands to lower it then..

Stick a stud bar or some such through 2 of the top engine mount's ready to pull through once youv'e got the rest undone and ready to drop as well, sorted.

Edited by dablik, 08 June 2018 - 06:36 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:43 pm

ChrisG used a tall step ladder and strapped his bike under it but I dunno how stable that would be for removing the engine.

Heath Robinson to the rescue

ELMQlXr.jpg

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:02 pm

:lol:

Chris, whilst you're around, did you replace the steering head bearings on the ol' mk1 ?

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:55 pm

Yes, had to get a local bike shop to get the one off the bottom yoke though as it was a right bitch,  Heath Robinson got the new one on too.

izcx7aD.jpg

2008, but no idea what mileage it was

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:25 pm

Cool. :)  2008, I'll check the mot history for mileage.  At least I can try adjusting them now I know they're tapered bearings.  Many thanks Chris. :good:

Sorry for going a tad off topic Pj.

EDIT: showing 53,000 in 2008 and now just short of 78000 soooooo 25000 miles, should be good for a few more. :)

#14 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:00 am

I loved the way conversation steered away :D it's a good online community here.

Many thanks for offering a DAPLEB, my mate has got one I can borrow. Good advice you all, will keep you updated on the progress and no doubt with gazillion other questions.

Thanks all!

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:30 am

A key point is Dappers Monkey Piss comment. The header bolts in particular have a tendency to sieze so worth giving them a squirt of something several times plenty of time in advance.

#16 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:08 am

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process now of engine swap. It's going mad slow as I'm mad busy with work, so only occasionally have time for my bike.. anyway, took off the plastics, saw a number of bolts that are missing or rusty and need replacement.
Anyone knows the best way to get replacement? Are there sets of bolts so I don't have to pick a pack of each size only to use one or two?
Much thanks!

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:43 am

Slow is fine. Better than rush.

You can prolly get packs of mixed bolts but prolly not TDM specific packs.

If you have a local fasteners place they will likely help you out. I can normally find what's needed by searching for long enough but sometimes I have to go see Mr Wharton who has pretty much everything.

#18 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:31 pm

Ok, will try to look around. Hopefully I can find my version of mr. Wharton here.
Thanks

#19 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:20 pm

Anyone knows how much coolant is in tdm 850 mk1? Looking for a container to drain the coolant and have no idea how much liquid there will be.
Thanks!

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:13 pm

Arthur pint more than whatever container you use. No book or memory so can't help ewe at mo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users