19 replies to this topic

#1 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:48 am

SkillShare is a free event organized by the Wiltshire RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders group for motorcyclists. It offers the opportunity for riders to come along and get a free riding assessment from a RoSPA approved tutor and to have a chat about bikes, riding and find out more about RoSPA advanced riding training over a coffee in one of the best cafes in Wiltshire.

https://www.facebook...278000108898759

http://divinepizza.co.uk/contact.htm

Edited by MarkyMark, 30 March 2016 - 07:41 pm.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:52 am

Spose its better than roadkill share in one of the worst cafes in Wiltshire.

Is it the Polly? Mmmm

Linky dink no worky.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 hvass

hvass

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:49 pm

yes well served in Wiltshire for Taster/Skillshare sessions 

Rospa - 1st saturday of the month - Divine Cafe Cherhill 10:00am - linky

IAM - 2nd sunday of the month March-Oct - Little Chef Chippenham 09:30 - linky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdm900a
mv v35 Imola
cb500x

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:05 pm

I suspect that were a petrol station when I were a lad. :-)

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:42 pm

I suspect that were a petrol station when I were a lad. :-)

Yep - That's the place

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#6 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:55 pm

Revisiting this old thread...

I've a friend who has done one lesson with a ROSPA instructor, who told him he's pretty good, so he's put in for his test. He's expecting to get a Gold, with no other lessons.

And looking at the website for that area, where all the results are listed, nearly everyone is getting the Gold pass, with a couple of Silvers thrown in.

Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure most IAMs people don't expect to get a FIRST.

I've been hoping he'd do the training for ages, as I find it much easier to ride with advanced riders (no offence meant; it's just that as we're all riding to the same system, it seems to make riding as a group smoother and more predictable).

And the amount of reading and learning I did for my IAMs; that's the only reason I wouldn't want to do it again. The riding test itself was cool, except for the verbal questions beforehand.

Is this normal? (...for everyone to expect, and get, a Gold; and more-so, after only one lesson?)

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:33 pm

Oil be camping at blacklands at da weekend... Its the first weekend of da month so oil wave on meway past or mayhaps see how the food is at the ole petrol station. :-)

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:34 pm

I've been hoping he'd do the training for ages, as I find it much easier to ride with advanced riders (no offence meant; it's just that as we're all riding to the same system, it seems to make riding as a group smoother and more predictable).
Is this normal? (...for everyone to expect, and get, a Gold; and more-so, after only one lesson?)

you know when you've done the advanced test.....does that mean you can't reach over and press your mates kill switch any more ? ;)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:30 pm

I think you can, but it's got to be considered and well timed, rather than just a spur of the moment prank. ;)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#10 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:47 pm

you know when you've done the advanced test.....does that mean you can't reach over and press your mates kill switch any more ? ;)

Someone did that to me...once :punishment:

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:08 pm

Someone did that to me...once :punishment:

Thats the last time you 'keep left' !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:29 pm

Went past yesterday arvo and no boikes. Cafe didn't look as good as da Polly so decided to carry on! Guess they was all oot enjoying the Wiltshire roads. :-)

#13 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:41 pm

Spooky, went past Hollingsworth lake last weekend and there was only one bike outside. :huh:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#14 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:01 pm

NickIAM,

There is no way he will get gold, and it takes weeks of practice and nothing going wrong on the test.

The last time I herd of something like that was just pure arrogance of the riders own ability, they herd they were good and told to but in for their tests, meaning that you have 3-4 weeks to practice before your test date come through.

No Rospa tutor can say what you will get.

Cheers, Ivan

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#15 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:16 pm

Thanks Geordie
He did another session (while waiting for the test to come through) and the second chap marked him down on lots of stuff that he'd got top marks for with the first chap. So all change.

Then the third, and fourth said different things again. So he's now getting confused.

#16 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:30 am

Not surprised , it takes months to polish it and to be consistant. different tutors see different rides and pick up on different things.

Plus there is that little matter of the difference in what he is told and what he thinks he has herd.

It will come right.

#17 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:08 am

I agree. He did show me his assessment card with all 4s and 5s for the first session. But later sessions had 3s. He was pretty annoyed: "How can I get worse?!!"

What also confused him at a later session is that he was told his bike was doing all the work for him. It was a BMW 1600 GT. Thankfully he has access to other bikes, but besides making it harder potentially to get into zones 1 & 5 (as is so wide) I didn't understand that either.

#18 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:59 pm

I would fail him, just for turning up on one of those sh!t buckets !

#19 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:09 pm

Spose its better than roadkill share in one of the worst cafes in Wiltshire.

Is it the Polly? Mmmm

Linky dink no worky.

There are cafes that serve roadkill? That's a great idea. Sort of mystery dish. You could have a £1 on who gets the first maggot.

Edited by muddy, 15 July 2016 - 07:10 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#20 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:42 pm

I would fail him, just for turning up on one of those sh!t buckets !

Ha ha. That may have been the issue. Nothing to do with 'the bike doing all the work' for him. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users