#121 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:28 pm

Hmmm. Tractors. That is a good example of expecting the unexpected. I'm lucky in not having traffic to play with but still try to maintain a "what if" mentality. I've come across some surprising hazards, slowly, when I have decided that I can't see clearly or to much is going on to be confident in what I can see. Not a drama, I'm usually pretty conservative trying to stay in safe space at a safe pace and be seen. Still get a gliff, though, when something new pops up.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#122 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:01 am

Speaking about tractors, It's amazing what farmers are allowed to dump on the roads and get away with.

#123 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:07 am

Hmmm. Tractors. That is a good example of expecting the unexpected. I'm lucky in not having traffic to play with but still try to maintain a "what if" mentality. I've come across some surprising hazards, slowly, when I have decided that I can't see clearly or to much is going on to be confident in what I can see. Not a drama, I'm usually pretty conservative trying to stay in safe space at a safe pace and be seen. Still get a gliff, though, when something new pops up.

Agreed. it's always difficult to remember that overtaking stopped vehicles by crossing the white line is technically still overtaking (of sorts), and as with all overtaking it should be carried out with caution, with a different mindset to when you're on your own carriageway proceeding with right of way.

Speaking about tractors, It's amazing what farmers are allowed to dump on the roads and get away with.

Absolutely....especially with all the rains recently and fields full of mud.

But to give a nod to tractor drivers too, are they supposed to park up and cause a major obstruction just to get their broom and bucket out to clear the road surface ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#124 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:12 pm

Absolutely....especially with all the rains recently and fields full of mud.

But to give a nod to tractor drivers too, are they supposed to park up and cause a major obstruction just to get their broom and bucket out to clear the road surface ?

If it stops some poor bugger sliding off the road into a tree, yes.

We don't give HGV drivers this pass, they have to secure their load even if they're just going a few hundred yards.

Anyway, We're kinda veering off topic (pun 100% intended) and into husbandry!

Edited by ProudViking, 17 January 2016 - 01:14 pm.

#125 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:42 pm

Its fair comment, regarding loose loads, but it takes people reporting it to get things to change.

Its a good idea to expect spoil on the road in those environments

#126 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:58 pm

News about the centre line, it could be a thing of the past !

[QUOTE]

Road markings could be removed across the country in an attempt to slow down drivers.

Research has shown motorists drive more slowly on roads without the central white line - cutting average speeds by 13%.

The Times reports that pilot schemes have been drawn up in north Norfolk, following trials in London, Wiltshire and Derby.

In a trial study, Transport for London found "centre line removal introduces an element of uncertainty which is reflected in lower speeds”. Central markings on three A-roads in London erased during recent resurfacing and not replaced.

The study suggests the centre line can provide drivers with a sense of confidence that no other drivers will "encroach" on their side of the road, and that some drivers may position themselves right next to the central white line because they believe it to be their right to do so - a practice that can lead to increased risk of collisions.

A “statistically significant” reduction in vehicle speeds was found - by a minimum of 5.4mph and maximum of 8.6mph.

TfL said the system may be expanded to other roads, after markings were removed on the A22 and A23 in South London and A100 in central London.
There is some opposition to the plans however. Paul Watters, head of roads policy at the AA told The Times "a simple pot of paint can save lives".
In particular, highly visible markings at the edge and centre of the road that can be seen on a wet night are enormously cost-effective in saving lives.

– PAUL WATTERS, HEAD OF ROADS POLICY AT THE AA
Another study conducted by Wiltshire County Council between 1997 and 2003 found that not reinstating the centre lines on a number of resurfacing sites led to a reduction in injury, collisions and traffic speeds.

#127 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:11 pm

Any idea what the posted speed limits are on the roads being tested?

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#128 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:02 pm

It says a100 in London. According too google that goes over Tower Bridge.....30mph ?

Daily Wail article http://www.dailymail...-carefully.html

#129 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:09 am

IIRC Tower bridge is 20mph

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#130 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:04 am

Phew.

I do believe they are trialing a similar approach in some Dutch cities with success.

Be an interesting trial down here in NZ. Most of the vehicles are 4x4's with bull bars. Gives a hint to the locals mentality.

#131 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:35 am

Some of the Norfolk roads they're planning to test on are currently 50mph, but they're also talking about a reduction to 40mph. Bear in mind we're talking about major roads here, such as the A148 between Hunstanton and Cromer. Already known for being regularly closed due to accidents.

My personal view is that it won't add to the safety on that particular road. In the summer, you'd be lucky to get anywhere near 40mph due to the volume of traffic. There may be a place for it on some roads, but that would rely on people who properly understand how traffic flows work. Judging by some of the road layouts locally, I suspect they haven't a clue.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#132 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:20 am

Standard of driving in the UK is abysmal IMO probably by the idea that with all the safety features fitted to most cars now, passenger cell has now been converted into a 'Pillow' store with all the air-bags so the occupants survive more impacts and sod anybody outside.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#133 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:41 am

IIRC Tower bridge is 20mph

There we are. I had seen Towerbridge Road mentioned.....what about other stretches of the A100 Mick ? Does Towerbridge Road not have white lines ?

I never use the A100, being 400 miles away !

Standard of driving in the UK is abysmal IMO probably by the idea that with all the safety features fitted to most cars now, passenger cell has now been converted into a 'Pillow' store with all the air-bags so the occupants survive more impacts and sod anybody outside.

Some truth in what you say there maybe. But the damn mobile phone has got to feature in more accidents than people admit to...

There was a TV show on a couple of nights ago, all dashcam footage of accidents. I was angered (properly annoying to the wife type of anger) because after every accident caused by ridiculously bad driving the narrator said "nobody was prosecuted following the accident" ...... which included people driving head on into oncoming cars and writing off their car.....nobody prosecuted for that ?

Yet travel a couple of mph too fast on an empty road and get lasered by the police and you're getting 3 points and a fine......  I feel there is 'something of an imbalance' about the system !

#134 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:24 am

Easy target, that's why. Any court case would drag on and on, getting more expensive by the day trying to get video evidence accepted if it was supplied by anyone other than the authorities.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#135 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:28 am

Easy target, that's why. Any court case would drag on and on, getting more expensive by the day trying to get video evidence accepted if it was supplied by anyone other than the authorities.

Probably a lot of truth there !

I have an ongoing claim with an insurance company, I've resigned myself to the fact that the longer it goes on, the more it costs them to the point that they just settle......since changing from the "I'll be as helpful as possible to let you pay me as little as possible"  approach they seem to be working harder to get me compensation from the other party

#136 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:26 pm

Speed is the big cash cow here. We have had a zero speed tolerance policy over holiday periods for some time, so you would get prosecuted for 101kmh.... Unfortunately the results are inconsistent, the road toll increased just as much as decreased so it seems to have been quietly swept under the mat.

It is very common to see camera vans and police cars parked on overtaking lanes now......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users