#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:06 pm

I'm thinking of getting an estate car. Looking at something around the 2010-2014 vintage.  Has anyone got experience of owning, or working on, any of the following

All diesel models.....

Ford  Mondeo Estate.... highly praised by Parkers Reviews.

Vauxhall Insignia Sport Tourer/Estate.... BIG !

VW Passat Estate Blue Motion

Citroen C5 Touring Estate

Peugeot 508 Estate

Looking for comfort, economy and reliability, not too fussed about performance.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:18 pm

It's all 10years too new for me to have a clue SR.

Oi do loike the look of they 508 estates.

Estates...so very handy and amasing what ya can cram in em.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:41 pm

Yeah, I was surprised at the look of them too.

My older bro has summat you would prolly loike Daps, a 1991 Volvo 740 estate, had it a good few years now and wouldn't part with it for any other car. He's just treated her to some period correct alloy wheels. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:10 pm

Buy him an insignia SR and get ahold of that Volvo. ƪ(‾.‾)┐

Hmmm just reading yet requirements...comfort hmmm. Economical...hmmm.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:20 pm

Mrs. Pedro has a Ford Focus estate and cant fault it as long as you're not after something that will carry a wardrobe. On the plus side, it handles nearly as good as a normal Focus and the 1.6 tdi is frugal and plenty enough for normal buzzing about. If you want carrying capacity, then you cant beat the Volvo 740's, and if you get the T5, no one can catch you to take the micky.  I have personal experience with C5's, when everthing works, they good, BUT French gadgets and electrics are almost Italian.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:23 pm

They're going up in value, but he wouldn't entertain the idea unfortunately.

Yeah, I expect most would be comfortable tbh and economy from the 2.0 litre diesels varies from 50mpg upwards. I also looked at Audi and BMW but wasn't that impressed with them tbh. :unsure2: Some of the estates also have really low emissions and are only £30 to tax.

Mrs. Pedro has a Ford Focus estate and cant fault it as long as you're not after something that will carry a wardrobe. On the plus side, it handles nearly as good as a normal Focus and the 1.6 tdi is frugal and plenty enough for normal buzzing about. If you want carrying capacity, then you cant beat the Volvo 740's, and if you get the T5, no one can catch you to take the micky.  I have personal experience with C5's, when everthing works, they good, BUT French gadgets and electrics are almost Italian.

Cheers Pedro, I am a bit concerned about reliability in general esp with all these new farkles they have, adjustable suspension, stop/start, driver awareness etc. Last thing I'd want after spending a few grand is a bill for another grand. :rolleyes: Focus is a bit small for me, I've got a focus car at the mo but it'll fail it's mot next week and not really economical spending money on it. Hmmm, T5 is a beaut, no doubt, but prolly to uneconomical for me.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:28 pm

Some years ago many a C5 suffers suspension issues, it's all airbag stuff me thinks, another for the Focus although you had one before didnt ya.. what about Mercedes, normally reliable..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:31 pm

Cheers Cliff. Yeah, Merc C200 Estate was in my sights, nice spec but not that economical iirc and road tax was high. Engines go forever though.

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:43 pm

AliG bought a Merc C class thinking it would last forever, it didn’t, he’s now got a Vauxhall Zafira! I always advised my kids to stay away from anything French, bound to break down, my youngest really,really wanted a Peugeot- it broke down. From your list I would go for the Insignia (always underrated, a bit like the Tdm, or the Mondeo, ( can’t beat a Ford) Just my opinion.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:42 pm

Nowt wrong with Peugot's, our little 108's been all over this country with nary a problem...........................................YET, but the same can be said of any manufacturer.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:51 pm

It's not on your list but I picked up a 2014 2.0 ltr diesel skoda superb estate last year. Bought it from my neighbour who was meticulous in servicing it. It's got 114,000 miles on the clock but runs beautifully. Pretty economical and has tons of room. Pre Blue model, might be worth a look.
Two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left.

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 August 2022 - 05:42 am

As you're looking for an old man's car........

+1 for the Skoda (VW platform :good: )

don't rule out ........

Audi

A4 & A6 Avants - but you'd get a better trim level in the VW Passat - look for one with xenon headlights (dont think you'd get LED in any VAG car).

Considered the Chrysler 300? :P

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:31 am

Anything French can go f**k it's self and prob will.
Thumbs up for the Mondeo and anything VW Skoda.
Consider a Cmax although that and the Mondeo have French engines, can't get away from them.
Mandis Cmax just sprung a gearbox bearing on us but it's now turned 105,000, 12 years old so I thinks thats pretty good as she nails it everywhere.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:48 am

All I know is avoid the VW PD engines the cams wear out due to high pressures
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:01 am

AliG bought a Merc C class thinking it would last forever, it didn’t, he’s now got a Vauxhall Zafira! I always advised my kids to stay away from anything French, bound to break down, my youngest really,really wanted a Peugeot- it broke down. From your list I would go for the Insignia (always underrated, a bit like the Tdm, or the Mondeo, ( can’t beat a Ford) Just my opinion.

Cheers Chris, I've been in my mate's Insignia, not an estate, and it was really smooth and quiet, had 130,000 on the clock but he'd just had the water pump replaced and a few other things done. Guessing any high mileage car will be needing new parts though.

Nowt wrong with Peugot's, our little 108's been all over this country with nary a problem...........................................YET, but the same can be said of any manufacturer.

True, very true Cliff.

It's not on your list but I picked up a 2014 2.0 ltr diesel skoda superb estate last year. Bought it from my neighbour who was meticulous in servicing it. It's got 114,000 miles on the clock but runs beautifully. Pretty economical and has tons of room. Pre Blue model, might be worth a look.

I did look at a few on ebaygum and my neighbour got a 2014 All Black Edition, looks good but maybe a tad too small ? Hmmm

don't rule out ........

Audi

A4 & A6 Avants - but you'd get a better trim level in the VW Passat - look for one with xenon headlights (dont think you'd get LED in any VAG car).

Cheers Al. I haven't ruled them out. What's a Chrysler 300 :lol: deffo not one I'd consider.

Anything French can go f**k it's self and prob will.
Thumbs up for the Mondeo and anything VW Skoda.
Consider a Cmax although that and the Mondeo have French engines, can't get away from them.
Mandis Cmax just sprung a gearbox bearing on us but it's now turned 105,000, 12 years old so I thinks thats pretty good as she nails it everywhere.

Cheers Dave, I didn't know they had French engines. :huh: Cmax prolly not cool enough for me lol.

My car mot and insurance run out on Tuesday, I should have got looking a lot sooner tbh. :rolleyes:  Can't get it mot'd til Wed so would have to insure it again and I'm less than confident it'll pass.

Cheers Lee, I'll go see which VW cars use the PD engine. :good:

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:52 am

We have a 2013 fabia estate with 1.6 common rail (the one that lies) and it will happily get over the ton with two people one dog and 200 litres of diesel in the back and still give around 50mpg, it's had a stored in intercooler since 30k due to a brick bouncing off a skip lorry and never missed a beat, now at 106k.
Thems good motors.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#17 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:59 am

Yes. I bought a 2015 diesel Merc thinking it would last into retirement. The problem is not the engine, but all the electrickery gadgets. I soon realised that I wouldn't be able to foot the bills when I retire and you need a computer to just diagnose the faults. I have an OBD reader but it couldn't identify some of the issues. I got rid and bought a Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 petrol. Can't fault it. There are more economical engines, but that one is pretty bulletproof. I don't do a huge mileage anyway. I agree with the C5 comments. Great to drive, but it is all the silly things tha go wrong.

don't rule out ........

Audi

Always liked the Chrysler 300. Front looks like a Bentley and they are huge. No experience of repairing or getting spare parts though.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#18 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:40 pm

Never heard of that. :unsure2:  Suspect crap oil or servicing.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:52 pm

We have a 2013 fabia estate with 1.6 common rail (the one that lies) and it will happily get over the ton with two people one dog and 200 litres of diesel in the back and still give around 50mpg, it's had a stored in intercooler since 30k due to a brick bouncing off a skip lorry and never missed a beat, now at 106k.
Thems good motors.

Don't have the software update if offered at any time, loses a lump of midrange and eats injectors.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:01 pm

Have no intention of having any fixes done, only heard bad things about it, I think the 2 litres were a software fix but 1.6's were hardware as well.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users