#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:27 pm

Just been reading through the AA bumf on riding a mokeyboike in Europe.  Apparently, when in France, helmets need to have 4 reflective stickers on 'em.

From the AA bumf....

Motorcycles
  You must use your dipped headlight during the day.
  Riders on any two-wheeled vehicle must wear a crash helmet.
  All helmets must display reflective stickers on the front, rear and sides in accordance with
the material requirements of Regulation 22 - a sticker of minimum surface area 18 cm2
must be visible from the front, rear, left and right and within each sticker it must be
possible to mark either a circle of 40 mm diameter or, a rectangle at least 12.5 cm2 in
surface area and at least 20 mm in width.
  Helmets worn in the UK must comply either with BS6658 or with UNECE Regulation 22.
Helmets approved to Regulation 22 may be supplied with suitable stickers for you to
apply.

France and Monaco (Western Europe)
Touring Tips
© Automobile Association Developments Limited 2016. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is
governed by its Terms and Conditions. Website
http://www.theaa.com.

I started reading Regulation 22 but there must be 50 pages of technobabble in there, sooo...... do I need the stickers or not ?

Stickers not required in Spain or Portugal.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:57 pm

It is a requirement but most people dont bother with them Ian, however Murphys law an all that if ya want piece of mind stick em on, JBX reckons most French boikers dont bother  :dunno:

ya could always sticker up a spare old helmet and take it with ya  :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:04 pm

We got ours on eBay then pulled em off when we got home.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#4 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:23 pm

Foreign riders don't need -em Ian -Even French riders don't need 'em on helmets bought before 1st Jan 2016 -  so don't waste yer money  -

I've got some reflective tape if you want some in your kit though.

Only things you really need are GB stickers, spare bulbs (Spanish plod are vicious on this) a High Viz Vest ( I've got loads) & your docs - Insurance certificate & original of registration document (pays to have a couple of copies) Passport & card licence

Also in France - minimum tyre tread is 2mm  ...........on our trip, I'd recommend you set off on new rubber  ;)

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:12 am

... And in the other pan_ear. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:16 am

:lol:  Yeah, surprisingly long list in front of me.  Don't think I'll have room for me bucket n spade.

Tbh, I was reading about all the countries in Europe dishing out on the spot fines so doing my best not to get any.

Cheers Mick, I've got my passport, licence, EHIC, bike reg and insurance.  Just the travel insurance, breakdown cover, GB stickaz and hi viz needed there then.

New rear rubber for our trip ;)  bulb kit, puncture repair kit, tools, tape & zip ties and kiss me quick hat still to sort out.  Might throw in a spare 8fiddly alternator winding. :um:

Ratchet straps for Ferries ? Sea sick pills for me ?

Service the bike, new oil & filter and coolant.  Valve shims need checking/doing. Fresh fork oil and check n grease all bearings. Fit my scottoiler.

Also need to sort out internet for my phone, learn a bit of local lingo, dos biers por favour :drinks:  Get some new Y fronts and I'll be good to go. :yeahbaby:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:59 pm

Straps are provided, if ya don't know how to use them, the strapping sailors will bend over backwards to give you a hand....... If you can use one (strap that is), then the rat shit goes on the sidestand side with the bike in 1st gear. For Bay of Biscay rough sea crossings use 3 straps - one over the bike as above, one through the front wheel and under the steel wire or into the fwd lashdown point and the third through the rear wheel as per the front but obviously to the rear lash point. Occasionally the crew will lash from the handlebars - don't worry about this - they know what they're doing. A personal preference is sidestand not centrestand as it gives a much wider footprint. 

Oh and don't over tighten - there is a lot of mechanical advantage in those straps!

Edited by Favs, 12 August 2016 - 02:00 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#8 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:04 pm

I still hav a set of stickers I got with my Shark helmet plus a diagram of where to stick em I think. Yours if you want. 🍰

#9 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:44 pm

Didn't bother with helmet stickers in June Studders. Not a problem with plod.

Always left the strapping down of the bike to the ferry guys. Never had an issue.

Have a good un.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:51 pm

Cheers for the strapping advice Favs. :good:   Think I'll be ok without stickers Sam, thanks for the offer though. :good:

Thanks Rolfie, I'm looking forward to it.:)

#11 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:10 pm

Been to France recently and the only bikers with helmet stickers were the Brits. The French certainly don't bother.

Enjoy

Rob

#12 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:36 pm

Put summit on your seat, under ratchet straps or they can mark it if you don't. I used my gloves.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#13 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:12 am

Which reminded me - a Poundland cycle cable lock to fasten your helmet to the bike during the crossing and while you're away - saves lugging it about unnecessarily.

#14 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:40 am

Was in Avignon yesterday and went to the trouble of doing a thorough survey of stickers for you. (From various roadside cafes and bars)......loadsa bikes but only two riders had stickers. Italian matching couple on a can am spyder and unknown nationality on a Diaval.Consensus.....go for it!
When we rode in france earlier in the year, the view amongst other brit riders was, you wont get pulled for no stickers, but in the event of other drama, it's something else to fine for!! There is such a thing as "over preparation!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:09 am

Thanks Pete, my first biking trip abroad so over preparation is all part of the ritual. :lol:

Got spare gloves to put on my seat Kelpie. :good:  Got a cycle cable lock Favs. :good:

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:19 am

Deepheat should prolly find a little space in your luggage  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:35 am

Deepheat is for ? :unsure2:

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:07 am

Masochists.............

#19 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:59 am

Deepheat is for ? :unsure2:

After application ensure you wash your hands :rotflmmfao:

Edited by Rallyist, 13 August 2016 - 02:34 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:48 pm

Masochists.............

Or wooses. :hide:

After application ensure you was your hands :rotflmmfao:

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users