Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust Blowing And Engine Popping Help Please!

exhaust popping delkevic

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Geowulf

Geowulf

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:04 am

I've just picked up an '99 850 TDM with 48K.  

There's not a lot wrong with it, except for:

It has one of those weirdly shaped 2-1-2 exhausts with the looped connector pipes (no collector box), it has been welded where the 1 goes into 2 join, but it's still got holes and it blows. 

At idle with a hot engine, the engine 'pops' approx. every three or four seconds, could this be caused by the blowing exhaust?

I'm thinking of a Delkevic 2-1 system from ebay and wondering if this could cure the popping.

The 'popping' isn't the exhaust blowing, it's quite a distinct pop every few seconds as I sad above, could it be something more serious?

Thanks

Geo

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:12 am

Hello and welcome.

Difficult to know for sure but it could be the exhaust, esp. if it has loads of holes in it.  You'll probably find the delkevic will also pop, but only on decelleration.

You could try blocking/welding the holes up first and making sure there are no leaks around the headers whilst you're at it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Geowulf

Geowulf

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:20 am

Forgive me, I'm new to TDM.

Thanks, that's a good point, the previous owner had the exhaust system off recently to weld it up, yeah, it could be headers as well if he didn't refit it properly.

I was wondering if a slack timing chain could be causing the popping because when I blip the throttle in neutral, it rattles a bit as it returns to idle, but then just pops. 

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:38 am

Hello dare, It's a Motad Nexxus zorst system.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:40 am

It's probably just drawing air in and burning off unburnt fuel, I have a delkevic 2:1 which crackles on the overrun, I like the sound it makes, no problems on idle though.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#6 Geowulf

Geowulf

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:45 am

Hi Snowbird, the exhaust doesn't rattle, it comes from the engine making me think it's the timing chain, I'm a brand newbie to TDMs so I'm not really familiar with their noises and quirks yet, however, I'm loving it up to now.

#7 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:12 am

My bike used to bang pop and explode like I've never heard a bike do before in my life. I left it for the best part of a year because I found it quite amusing, especially rolling off a wide open throttle after blasting down the slip road into the Medway tunnel and down into the Blackwall tunnel... I digress

The cause of the excessive banging and popping was two fold. The exhaust had a crack just over an inch long, and the headers were flattened like a pancake under the sump. I replaced these with noticeably less dented and uncracked headers from a fellow Carpedian and now it is less end-of-the-world in all of hell's fury, and more like a large parallel twin should be with unbaffled termi pipes. I had expected it to wake up a bit more power but of course the bike still lacks any top end, but that's not the fun part of this bike anyway.

If your headers are indeed cracked you may be able to mig them up, and if they are dented you can weld on a bolt and create a slide hammer to undent them. The pipes do seem to dent readily by the sump. I'm not sure if this is a result of 17" swaps, under damped fronts, or me hopping curbs and speed bumps when I get a bit too excited on the commute

Edited by jpor, 23 September 2019 - 10:24 am.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:19 pm

It wouldn't be a slack timing chain, if the chain was that slack your engine would be in lots of little pieces.  That said, it might be that the chain is rattly, this often happens when the camchain tensioner is about ready to extend another notch out, but hasn't quite got the oomph to push it there.

Also, you might benefit from listening to another 850, they can and do make a bit of a rattle.  Have you got fresh engine oil in it ?  Have you checked the oil level ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 skedaddle

skedaddle

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:28 pm

Howya. I had a bit of a hole on the exhaust where the two headers meet. Popping was still only on deceleration though, was fine at idle. Got it welded and the popping got a tiny bit better. I think. Still pops like fcuk though haha.

#10 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:02 pm

Check the valve clearance, I had a similar problem caused by insufficient clearance on one valve,

Hope this is helpful.

#11 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:54 pm

I have just taken off a delkevic 2-1 it popped on deceleration, ( i didnt mind it ) and replaced it with the same system you have... absolutely no popping now, and very quiet... almost too quiet 😂😂

#12 KAL850

KAL850

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:32 pm

Mine started doing the hissing and popping a few days ago. As it was due to get looked over, coz it's new to me, the guys have started on it. Shims are the issue. So at least I know itll be a while before that needs doing again...

#13 Geowulf

Geowulf

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:03 pm

All sorted a wile back, I forgot to update, it turns out the one carb was lose, valve clearances checked, all good, new Delkevic road legal 2-1 system fitted carb re-attached, now runs as sweet as a sweet thing.  

#14 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:55 pm

Mine's a 9er with Demon cans from SP Engineering. They sound great but do pop a bit on the overrun at low revs. At first I got a bit over concerned about it and tried sealing every joint with (car) exhaust sealant but it didn't work.

Now I just use better earplugs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users