#1 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:24 pm

Has anyone installed a Dynojet kit on their 3vd? Worth the hassle or snake oil? I've managed to track down a NOS kit here in Spain and since I was planning to strip and clean the carbs down in the summer I thought I could stick the kit in while I'm there. Any opinions, good or bad would be mucho appreciated.

Pedro

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:46 pm

iirc it's the kit that has the stepped needles. They can be a pain to set up correctly.

Is it the stage 2 kit ?  If so, it's designed to be used with a lightly modified engine and exhaust.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:39 am

Has anyone installed a Dynojet kit on their 3vd? Worth the hassle or snake oil? I've managed to track down a NOS kit here in Spain and since I was planning to strip and clean the carbs down in the summer I thought I could stick the kit in while I'm there. Any opinions, good or bad would be mucho appreciated.

Pedro

I bought a stage 1 kit, wasn't able to make it run properly so gave up. It had a "step tapered" needle - very different profile. Still lying around somewhere.

Bjørge

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:21 am

Never used one but if the needles are diff profile (like factory Pro needles) to OEM then peeps have reported issues setting oooop afterwards.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:56 pm

Oops! Its the stage one kit with the stepped needles. Its supposed to smoothen midrange with a bit more oomph. Since my bike runs as perfect as I can hope for, maybe I should listen to the addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

#6 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:15 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:57 pm

Well, with the time I have on my hands, I decided to install the kit last weekend. The verdict is it does work, on mine at least. My bike had no issues before except for being 28 yrs old. If nothing else I suppose, the new needle replaced the old worn one, although it didn't look bad, and the tubes were still round. Maybe a P.O. replaced those as the diaphragms were shiny like new as well. It definitely revs a lot quicker after 4000, and gets to six with a pull on the arms I've never noticed before. I havent tried past that yet. With the base settings given on the instructions, it started first time and idles spot on. Considering i live about 3000 ft ASL, that's not a bad result. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking it can be improved, especially with dyno time. Can't wait to take it for a proper blast. Was it worth it? I think so, especially if your carbs need freshening up anyway. Roll on being able to go out properly again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users