22 replies to this topic

#1 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:32 pm

Am about to get a new front tyre fitted and thinking of sticking new pads on at the same time. Any advice on which brands to go for and what to avoid etc?
Also I want to make the most of having front wheel taken off and get my perished fork gaiters replaced. I just got some off ebay that are 'universal' but they look like a tight fit. (For a 9er) anyone know what size is needed, and if the forks need dropping all the way out to fit them?
Thanks again

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:37 pm

Avoid... Armstrong.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:47 pm

Roger that

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:19 pm

I've found Goldfren to be fine for the money, but I'm fairly easy on brakes.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:59 pm

Avoid... Armstrong.

Explain Please

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:27 pm

Search carpe fur Armstrong rally. They are bad in every possible way.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:23 pm

Search carpe fur Armstrong rally. They are bad in every possible way.

Tried search but only comes up with this thread
Would like to know more as I'm about to change front pads
I have some pads waiting for me in local bike shop but don't know what brand etc

#8 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:14 pm

I've found Goldfren to be fine for the money, but I'm fairly easy on brakes.

I'm not a massively hard rider, but i went through a set of goldfren pads in 8,000miles on my FZ1S. No other pad has worn down that quickly. I'd only recommend them for light bikes [they are fine on my 250 Gamma]

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:17 pm

Tried search but only comes up with this thread
Would like to know more as I'm about to change front pads
I have some pads waiting for me in local bike shop but don't know what brand etc

Try searching from the main page, not from the seach at the top of this topic. :)

http://www.carpe-tdm...31&hl=armstrong

http://www.carpe-tdm...83&hl=armstrong

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:34 pm

I'm on Carbon lorraine, and they are great, no fade in the Pyrennes and very progressive too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:16 pm

Cheers S R
Makes interesting reading
Never had problems with pads bought previously from same bike shop
But usually got them fitted so never checked manufacturers

Andy

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:27 pm

I'm not a massively hard rider, but i went through a set of goldfren pads in 8,000miles on my FZ1S. No other pad has worn down that quickly. I'd only recommend them for light bikes [they are fine on my 250 Gamma]

What did they feel like though ? Soft pads wear quickly, the disks wear less in that case, as the pad material is sacrificed first

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:51 am

I use Goldfren they do wear quite quickly but give good feel and progressive braking and don't appear to wear the discs like EBC do.

Edited by Rallyist, 20 August 2017 - 01:02 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#14 pilninggas

pilninggas

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:54 am

What did they feel like though ? Soft pads wear quickly, the disks wear less in that case, as the pad material is sacrificed first

in honesty they lacked feel throughout their life. I'm running some ferodo pads i had hanging around and they feel so much better.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:22 am

in honesty they lacked feel throughout their life. I'm running some ferodo pads i had hanging around and they feel so much better.

I'll bear that in mind, maybe disk grinders are the  better way to go after all :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:39 am

The latest set were Brembo SA pads which i was'nt initially impressed with especially given the price, but they came into their own when hooning around the Picos ie needing a bit of heat, and were brilliant, for everyday riding though i would stick with the Goldfren which i felt were pretty good.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:27 am

So am i right thinking about £50 for a set? Am looking at the carbone lorraine ones on ebay. I saw the brembo road ones but also saw that there are fakes made of them and i don't want to spend loads or risk having a fake set... £47 for blue brembos...

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:57 pm

Red Brembos around £50 a set, should be fine if you buy from a reputable type, cant remember where i got mine now but it was'nt ebay.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:19 pm

i paid £64 for my Carbon lorraines off ebay. they just changed their style of packing as I had the 2 types sent

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#20 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:33 am

I got my Gaitors from Arthurbikemad (member here) from his ebay shop (https://www.ebay.co....h/arthurbikemad)

I can't find the ones I ordered so PM him on here and he'll confirm the size you need :)

For pads I use (and have done for a few years now) Goldfren.  I do ~16K miles a year and find them to be great value for money.  I've seen a few using the Quiche Lorraines with glowing reports, but they're a bit pricey for the amount I use!

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users