#141 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:32 am

BOTH these things (638 spline and locknseal nut) can easily be done and we are not talking about something that needs to be done every week/month usually and its not exactly a time consuming complex task. So, for me it made sense to do BOTH and it seems to have worked, now maybe I wasted 30seconds and £3 doing one of these things unnecessarily, but even a tight wad loike me'sen would rather do that than risk a knackered output shaft.

Have unpinned the mkII topic and welded it to the mkI topic and bunged em both in Knowledgebase as this seems to be a frequent enough occurrence to merit it.

b0ooooooooo0o0o00oo00o0o0o0o0p

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#142 kitt

kitt

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:07 pm

After nut came loose on mk2 while in europe, it rattled around un-noticed being kept on the shaft by the plastic cover. When discovered, it had knackered the thread so a new nut would not screw up tight. Sorted it with 3 spots of weld, had to change chain and sprockets, quick grind off of weld, new sprocket, 3 more spot welds and been threr for last 15k, no problem.
1998 TDM850 (24k), 1996 TDM850(58k), 1989 XTZ 750(29k), 1999 XJR1300(13k) no more room in garage ! XJR gone to ex, so 1988 zx10 fills space

#143 finto

finto

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:09 pm

Just out of pig ignorance here. What happens if the front nut does come loose. Are you talking a slide along the road. Or does the sprocket take the form of a ninja star and tear the calf off you.?

Only asking cause mine is loose and I will get it sorted sooner if I know im in trouble... smile.gif

#144 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:21 pm

when they come off they sit in the thread of the outputshaft
the cover stops it coming right the way off, so other than losing all drive to the rear wheel its not that dangerous
but AND THIS IS THE WORST BIT, while your output shaft is spinning round a a few thousand RPM the sprocket is sitting on the thread wearing it away, this stops you securing the next sprocket as the thread becomes unusable as the new nut just pulls straight over it
i would not ride a bike with a loose front sprocket

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#145 finto

finto

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:47 pm

Ah ok I get it. Its more damage to the bike than the rider. Fair Nuff. Ill get it sorted the weekend. Cheers Tony

#146 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:36 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 7th Oct 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when they come off they sit in the thread of the outputshaft
the cover stops it coming right the way off, so other than losing all drive to the rear wheel its not that dangerous
but AND THIS IS THE WORST BIT, while your output shaft is spinning round a a few thousand RPM the sprocket is sitting on the thread wearing it away, this stops you securing the next sprocket as the thread becomes unusable as the new nut just pulls straight over it
i would not ride a bike with a loose front sprocket

No drive then.....? !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#147 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 am

Does this affect 900's?

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#148 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 am

I'm not aware of anyone having trouble with the 900 sprocket nuts

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#149 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:50 am

House of Henty does a thicker one!

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#150 chill

chill

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:46 am

I just checked mine after 30k km. It was loose, I know when I fitted it it was done to 85Nm and lockwasher.

I used a Yammy sprocket but reused the washer and nut.

I could not see any damage to threads on nut or sharft.

Sprocket and chain are still in good condition.

Will change at about 40k. This time I will change the nut and washer as well as chain and sprockets.

#151 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:05 am

Might be worth trying a henty nut and loctite hawaai 5 0 then chill.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#152 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:11 am

Why not use 2 washers?   :um:

#153 chill

chill

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:27 am

Might be worth trying a henty nut and loctite hawaai 5 0 then chill.

What if a Henty nut ???????????

scus my Ignorance.

#154 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:49 am

Hmm it aint listified in his list'o'bits but I am sure he does one (cous oi think oi gots one somewhere)... http://www.carpe-tdm...tainless&page=2

An alternative is the wider nut from a YZF details ear:http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=9244

The loctite is mentioned earlier in this ear thread, think its 638 or summat.  Have been using that for a while now after many years of no probs I got a slightly loose nut.  After a coupla thousand moiles to Scotland and back it was very slightly loose again.  Having gone through the pain of completely rebuilding an enjun oi decided that I would invest in the loctite and no probs since.

#155 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:28 am

chill yew got a TDM 900 or an 850 ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#156 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:50 am

Unless you own an 850  :good:

The thrill of riding a real bike gives you loose nuts & a big smile  :rotflmmfao:

#157 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:59 pm

Unless you own an 850  :good:

The thrill of riding a real bike gives you loose nuts & a big smile  :rotflmmfao:

not just loose nuts, my wife says that I'm missing some screws too..  :um:

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#158 chill

chill

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:30 am

chill yew got a TDM 900 or an 850 ?

I have an 2002 900, the bikes done 110k km.

This is the second chain I have fitted. The first chain I found the nut was still tight when I changed it.

But after reading the post about LOOSE NUTS I decided to check and found the nut was loose. Lock washer was still in place so I do not know were the free play came from. Undid nut and checked thread on nut and sharft no problem so refitted torqued and locktabed.

Will check it again soon to see if it changes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users