Photo

The World Is A Den Of Thieves, And Night Is Falling !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 pm

Four of us just got back on Sunday morning from an enjoyable, if not a little damp, ten day tour of the Black Forest and Harz Mountains in Germany but unfortunately one of our crew had his 1200GS stolen from right outside the Hotel door on our last night in Arnhem in Holland.

The dutch police were just adequate but didn't seem particularly interested in attempting to apprehend the perpetrators. Carol Nash were very good. We discovered the theft at about 6.00am and by 11.00 am they had made arrangements for the stranded rider to be picked up by taxi and taken to the Ferry port and then provided a hire car at the port at Hull for him to drive home next morning. They also made a couple of unsolicited calls during the day to check that everything was in order for him to get home.

The bike was unchained with just the steering lock on but was parked right outside the Hotel front door on a well lit street. One anomaly was that the hotel owner said that she saw the bike being pushed away at about half midnight with the lights on but thought it was the rightful owner being courteous by not starting the engine up outside the hotel so late at night - odd thing is, he still has both keys.... so how could the thieves switch the lights on (or even, why would they want to ) ? She was adamant that the lights were on as she said that was what alerted her when the beam shone through the window and she also saw the glow of the red tail light. The bike was a 2011 BMW GS1200 Triple Black and I would imagine has a reasonable level of electronic immobilistaion so not easy, or even possible, to hot wire.   

Gap between third and fourth bikes is where the GS was parked - last bike on right belonged to another guest

13442333_1115963135113874_36788790042426

Dan

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:58 pm

That's a real downer, but to leave a bike with only the steering lock on is negligence. My bike is a rusty eye sore but I always put a disc lock and chain it to a lamp post. I've never even used the steering lock.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:28 pm

That's a real downer, but to leave a bike with only the steering lock on is negligence. My bike is a rusty eye sore but I always put a disc lock and chain it to a lamp post. I've never even used the steering lock.

+1 

#4 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:38 am

What a horrible thing to discover at the end of a holiday. We're near Monschau and heading home tomorrow. There's nothing where we're staying to chain the bikes to but they are chained together with extra chain on one of the bikes. They're also alarmed and under our bedroom window on noisy gravel. It's the best we can do.

Good to know then insurance company have been helpful. I hope your mate is soon back on the road.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#5 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:32 pm

Bit of a pisser that ,
Guessing they were targeting BMW's .so overcoming imoboliser
Was probably easy enough for them.
As for not chaining it etc Won't be first time I've left keys in ignition overnight and not realized till morning

#6 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:27 pm

Where was Ivan when this happened???

Seriously though, it's a shame it happened at all, but at least your pal was properly insured and it didn't happen at the start of your tour.

Edited by Jim, 26 June 2016 - 06:29 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#7 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:36 pm

Just got to this one ... sorry that a a bike was stolen. Popularity of GS's must make them a target I guess ... one advantage of having an unfashionable TDM.

Hope it got sorted by insurers ... and that the rest of the tour was good ( have I missed the pictures?) 

Cheers

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users