Just got back from a 900 mile 3 day tour of Scotland. The bike was brilliant and seemed built for those road up there.
So I have come back and given I like a project over the winter I am considering some upgrades.
In no particular order:
1. Engine mods. Currently the engine has a set of cams in it, a flowed head and the compression has been raised. It used to have a power commander but that died a death a few months back. The engine is a little rougher round the edges without it, so I need to address that, and seeing as though I have some parts to go on I might as well make it a project:
- I have a set of projection components big bore headers to go on the bike, they are for a TRX but I have a tig welder so I'll make them fit.
- I also have a set of throttle bodies from a BMW F800, which have the correct spacing to fit onto my bike, I am going to look into installing those too as they are 42mm instead of the 38mm. That should make the bike breath really nicely.
- I need to get another powercommander (anyone got one for sale?) failing that I might stump up for an Ignijet module, which is a complete ECU replacement that will give me full adjustability of every aspect of the bike.
Not that I am looking for more power but I have all the parts so why not.
2. Wheels. I also have a set of R6 5 spoke wheels in my garage from when my trx ran them as a track bike. That would be a 17" wheel at the front and a 180 tyre at the rear. I am a little bit unsure whether or not to do this as it would be purely for asthetic reasons, as I absolutely loved the way the bike handled the roads up Scotland. Have many people fitted a 17" wheel onto a 900? and what is the effect? If I go this route I will have to go all in and fit an R6 rear swing arm too, but that will be doable also.
3. bodywork. The headlights are utter rubbish. Despite a HID dipped beam and an LED main they are just not very good, so I am think about ditching all the bodywork at the front and making my own. I might end up with either tdm/tracer hybrid, or even a 900 wearing mk1 clothes because I much prefer the lines of the mk1 tdm.
I think thats it for now. any thoughts would be welcome.
Edited by Coxylaad, 02 October 2018 - 09:08 am.