• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boltonwill

boltonwill

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:08 pm

i need to do a deep clean on my chain can i use a ethanol based degreaser on a o-ring chain

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:13 pm

Ya mean petrol  :D i use wd40 wipe off then oil it, someone will come along and tell you wd40 will knacker ya chain i guess, not had a problem in 40,000 miles doing it though..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 boltonwill

boltonwill

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:17 pm

no its not petrol but an actual degreaser

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:41 am

Dunno but I use engine oil. Used to use diesel. 

#5 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:17 pm

I've always used paraffin to clean the chain and then gearbox or engine oil to lube it using a paint brush. Never had a problem.

Riggers.

#6 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:36 pm

Kettan max with WD40 or diesel for me. Then scottoil with brush. 30k miles changed C+S but only front sprocket showed signs of significant wear.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:25 pm

I would be wary of a dedicated degreaser. If it gets into the o-rings it may dissolve the grease in the rollers shortening the life of the chain.

I've always used something which evaporates quite quickly, like kero, petrol, and on occasion wd40, which is mainly kero anyway.

You only need to clean the links, not the pins in the rollers. I use an old margarine tub under the lower run of the chain with kero in it and give the chain a good scrub then wipe it dry and re-lube.

Chains last me forever and only get adjusted when I change tyres despite a lot of dusty gravel riding and occasionally riding through water.

Ethanol can affect seals in some engines, it may affect rubber o rings.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:00 pm

Parafin the best. Big 5litre container , b and q nunpence

#9 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:33 pm

No ethanol ! It destroys seals by drying them to death - even worse than eating mint jelly, if you see what I mean... 

Use gas-oil or white-spirit or other seal-friendly solvent.

top_640.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users