15 replies to this topic

#1 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:27 pm

Time has come for me to start thinking about the purchase of a new unit.

So, do I bite the bullet & buy a dedicated bike unit, will it automatically route for better biking roads over motorways (France trip looming in a few months & I know how their road numbers disappear or change without warning). Brighter screen, waterproof e.t.c.

If so, then I would go for the Garmin Zumo 660 (sleeker than the 550,390 e.t.c.), I prefer Garmin to TomTom.

Anyone know if I were to purchase a used unit with lifetime maps, whether the map updates would be transferable. I've looked on the F.A.Q's on the Garmin site, but there is no mention of transferability.

Is it worth the extra money?

At the moment I use my car unit on the bike, but in sunlight it can be hard to see especially in a universal holder/cover. 

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#2 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:57 pm

I find Zumo 660 is better than Garmin 390 newer 590 models.
But only last stocks are sold cheap Zumo 660.

You have a Garmin headset and it is defective to Exchange, you get the Kartenabo on the successor to registered.
You may buy a second-hand replacement unit on eBay, you have a problem with the registration, but it is when you send the defective device to Garmin.

Garmin has the advantage that you can plan a tour on the PC, and with any Garmin this tour just like in the plan can go device.
This may be differences with Tom Tom.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#3 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:02 pm

I find Zumo 660 is better than Garmin 390 newer 590 models.
But only last stocks are sold cheap Zumo 660.

You have a Garmin headset and it is defective to Exchange, you get the Kartenabo on the successor to registered.
You may buy a second-hand replacement unit on eBay, you have a problem with the registration, but it is when you send the defective device to Garmin.

Garmin has the advantage that you can plan a tour on the PC, and with any Garmin this tour just like in the plan can go device.
This may be differences with Tom Tom.

Limbo

:good:

HaHa! I find Basecamp totally perplexing when trying to plan journeys. Perhaps I should use the tutorial. But then that would be the sensible thing to do.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:46 pm

For my tomtom I use ITNconverter or Tyre to plan on a PC and copy to the device, not sure if you can use them on the Garmins straight off though, I seem to remember giving one to someone in Germany (quite possibly Limbo) who then had to do something else to it in basecamp to get a route rather than straight lines.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:06 pm

:good:
HaHa! I find Basecamp totally perplexing when trying to plan journeys. Perhaps I should use the tutorial. But then that would be the sensible thing to do.

I use not Basecamp. I'm using MapSource.
To base camp, there is a good, unofficial guide, - unfortunately only in german.

I seem to remember giving one to someone in Germany (quite possibly Limbo) who then had to do something else to it in basecamp to get a route rather than straight lines.

I use Garmin navigation for 9 years.

You can use error device each make.

Such mistakes happen at different map versions and does not happen to me.

You can only happen, if I get a route from another user who uses a different version of the map. After a minute this route on my have calculated but then maps, perhaps with small deviations.

I use Garmin navigation for 9 years.

You can use error device each make.

Such mistakes happen at different map versions and does not happen to me.

You can only happen, if I get a route from another user who uses a different version of the map. After a minute this route on my have calculated but then maps, perhaps with small deviations.

I ride with british bikers in Germany only in Monschau.

Limbo

Addendum:
Surely you remember on the way back from Holyhaed limbos navigation totally failed.

A defect in the device sucked more power as the holder could deliver. :good:

Edited by Limbo, 27 January 2015 - 07:12 pm.

#6 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:36 pm

I like BaseCamp as you can keep a lot of routes in one place there is a good tutorial here

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#7 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

#8 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:36 pm

Hi

I purchased lifetime updates for my precious spouse to use on her Garmin. Every time I try to update I get a message' not enough memory'. Its not just me, lots like that on the net. Any idea anybody? Everybody just seems to give up after a while.

And Limbo, I went to school in Monschau. That's not near Hannover. Why Brits in Monschau?

Rob

#9 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:01 am

One of the bike mags recently reviewed most of the Bike satnavs recently - if you haven't read it let me know and I'll search it out and send it on to you.

IIRC Garmin will only allow transfer of the lifetime map updates if it originally came with the unit, not if you bought them as an add on.  

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#10 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:34 am

Try this

"Put an empty, formatted SD card in your Zumo. Connect it to your PC (or Mac) and run Garmin Express to download maps, but pick the advanced option that tells it to install the maps on the SD card rather than the internal memory."

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#11 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:11 pm

One of the bike mags recently reviewed most of the Bike satnavs recently - if you haven't read it let me know and I'll search it out and send it on to you.

IIRC Garmin will only allow transfer of the lifetime map updates if it originally came with the unit, not if you bought them as an add on.  

The only bike mag I get monthly is Practical Sportsbike, so I've not seen any comparison articles.

I was looking at units with lifetime maps.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

#12 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:17 pm

Hi

I purchased lifetime updates for my precious spouse to use on her Garmin. Every time I try to update I get a message' not enough memory'. Its not just me, lots like that on the net. Any idea anybody? Everybody just seems to give up after a while.

And Limbo, I went to school in Monschau. That's not near Hannover. Why Brits in Monschau?

Rob

Check out the Garmin sites FAQ's.

Basically each time you update it eats a bit of the memory. As Rallyist said, get yourself an sd card (would assume it would be a micro). You can transfer some of the maps that you would not regularly use to this, freeing up space on the units memory. Perhaps download the updated maps to the sd card again as Rallyist suggested.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

#13 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:51 pm

see here

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=26581

Motorcycles have wheels :P 

Limbo

#14 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:01 pm

Hi,

thanks for the advice re. SD card but there isn't one. Or I am going totally loopy.  Its a car jobbie for the wifey only. They still happily sell you the updates.

On the bike I use CoPilot. I find it a lot faster than the Gamin to recalculate. And cheap!!!!

Rob

#15 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:38 am

What Garmin do you have?
You can choose when you install of the map smaller regions.
You can download "Tiles" the map on the navigation system from the map on the computer.

Limbo

#16 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:36 pm

Don't know off hand which one it is. Not home for another few days to check. Just not very impressed how 'uneasy' it is to use and update. Nevertheless I will give the updating another crack.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users