28 replies to this topic

#1 Dogface

Dogface

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:32 pm

Hi all
I'm new to the tdm ,I've recently bought a 900 06 reg with 22000 miles I was out on it the other day quite a cold day and was stuck in a bit of traffic after about ten mins of slow stop start traffic I noticed the temp gauge going up never got above 3/4 of the gauge .and as soon as I was moving again son came back down is that normal for a tdm ? Thanks

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:13 pm

yes, normal.

the fan should kick in just as the needle hits the red , or thereabouts

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Dogface

Dogface

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:47 am

Thanks mate

#4 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:33 am

I think its a consequence of a big engine and a small radiator. My 900 is the same as yours  . If it is not moving enough air through the radiator it heats up very quickly but the fan does seem to do a good job of cooling it down again. 

#5 Dogface

Dogface

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:11 am

Thanks for the replays put my mind at rest

#6 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:36 am

Thanks for the replays put my mind at rest

I'd still leave it idling to the point of overheating and make sure the fan kicks in. It'll be mid July stuck in traffic before you find it isn't ..hth.

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:26 pm

I changed my thermostat to a car one with lower temp fan start up. drove me crazy as it came on 1/2 way up.

was sat in traffic at 45'C in Andorra and it was pumping out the heat from that little fan. bike was a little hesitant and the oil thinned so much the oil light flickered on when on tickover. No harm done though as kept revs up.

BTW I fitted an oil pressure switch mod from Lee Henty.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:47 pm

When Samios remapped my ECU they lowered the temp the fan comes on at. I thought it used an on/off thermostatic switch but if it's something which the ECU takes care of then i suppose it must be electronic/resistive in nature

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:41 pm

BTW I fitted an oil pressure switch mod from Lee Henty.

hi drewpy, i'm about to order that pressure switch mod for my 3vd from leehenty. could you post a pic of your install please and also your opinion on the mod and how straight forward it was to instlall.  cheers!

Edited by Pedro, 06 February 2018 - 09:42 pm.

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:59 pm

hi drewpy, i'm about to order that pressure switch mod for my 3vd from leehenty. could you post a pic of your install please and also your opinion on the mod and how straight forward it was to instlall.  cheers!

the hardest part was the lamp going into the cluster. need to take a live feed off it and the switch earths for the circuit.

I have posted on here somewhere which lamp I had, it had an oil can on it and looked really good.

the switch part was the easy bit

http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=OPS

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:00 pm

thanks drewpy!  replacing the oil feed banjo bolt looked too simple thats why i asked in case i missed something. as for the light, i'll have to spend a weekend wiring that up  :rolleyes:

#12 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:51 am

Was just about to post up about this.
My 8503vd gets too hot too quickly in traffic. Has anyone fitted bigger/faster fan or bigger radiator to fix the problem?

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:02 am

Was just about to post up about this.
My 8503vd gets too hot too quickly in traffic. Has anyone fitted bigger/faster fan or bigger radiator to fix the problem?

How ya G,  when was the last time it had a coolant change i wonder?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:05 am

Is it a real problem or imaginary? Is it overheating?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:40 pm

Coolant was changed when had to remove radiator to get to sparkplugs couple months back.

Fan cuts in on top screw just below top redline but on hot days needle goes all way to top of gauge but does cool down as soon as I start moving again.

Not had a bike heat up this quickly on so little time?

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:22 pm

Might be worth checking the coolant level at the radiator when the engine is cold.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:21 pm

Thermostat not working properly? or not wired up? Water pump same? Are the two little hoses on the top right (as you sit on the bike) the right way round? Last one would be the first thing to check given you'v taken the rad off.

#18 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:46 pm

In the summer here (spain) it takes less than three minutes in traffic before the temp needle gets past halfway. It always worries me but the fan always kicks it just before it hits the red. I've flushed the rad, cleaned the fins, all in good order so i guess its another "TDM" thing. I intend to wire up a remote switch to kick the fan in before I have I have a panic attack in traffic. (or a warped head)

#19 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:48 pm

Think my Thermostat or sender unit is FUBAR during summer heats up too quickly and fan cuts in (a common TDM thing apparently) just come back from 30 mile drive Motorway and country roads and the needle hasn’t moved from Cold since I started up?

Edited by Grendel, 12 December 2018 - 03:56 pm.

#20 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:20 pm

Yeah thermostat locked open by the sounds of it.  Constant flow through the radiator in this temperature means the engine never gets up to temperature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users