#1 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:47 am

I'm having a look at a Mk2 (2002 reg) with a partial wiring burn out. (thanks for the headsup fixitsan)The loom is burned mainly on the left side near the headstock/CDI/and the earth wire fixed to the radiator.

I don't ever remember the earlier Mk2 models with a radiator earth lead but it looks original. Maybe the Mk2A has a different temp warning circuit  :unsure2: , anyhoo, the wiring has completely burned off that particular earth wire.

Any thoughts as to what could have shorted? Anyone had this problem before?. The choke cable also seems to be burned. My initial thought was that the engine wasn't earthing properly but that shouldn't be an issue if the cylinder head is bolted directly to the frame...............

It also needs 2 side fairing panels (bike is red/black) - does anyone have any kicking about or links?

Cheers, Alan

Attached Files

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:07 am

Nice one Alam :good:

I've worked on a couple of bikes with wires burned at the headstock, due to wear on the insulation. In both cases the loom had been rerouted and caught on a clip, or nipped in the steering lock which chewed away at it and then shorted..

I didn't examine that bike closely while I was there, but it's definitely worth the effort by the looks of it, so good luck with it :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:55 am

I'll check my parts dump in the back of the garage. I know I have a spare stator, and I think a cdi/igniter....might have some side panels, but then again I think i sold them...... I'll be poking about in there later anyway so I'll look

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:58 am

Nothing on the GNMoto site as regards side panels.  Nice condition bike that. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:10 am

Thanks fellas. I haven't been able to see the bike yet (apart from photos) due to a police lockdown on the premises following a break in and bike/tools stolen. Hope to get to see it soon. The wire trapping scenario sounds possible. My first thoughts were heated grips but it doesn't have any! Can someone else with a M 2a have a look at the left side of the radiator and see if there is an earth wire around 1/3 way down with an eyelet and screw into the radiator.  :huh: The wiring on that cable has melted off. Ta

PS - Fixit - I thought Alam was an area in Malaysia  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:29 am

Thanks fellas. I haven't been able to see the bike yet (apart from photos) due to a police lockdown on the premises following a break in and bike/tools stolen. Hope to get to see it soon. The wire trapping scenario sounds possible. My first thoughts were heated grips but it doesn't have any! Can someone else with a M 2a have a look at the left side of the radiator and see if there is an earth wire around 1/3 way down with an eyelet and screw into the radiator.  :huh: The wiring on that cable has melted off. Ta

Oh did i write 'Alam' ?   I meant to write 'clever bugger'  ;)

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:20 pm

Nothing on the GNMoto site as regards side panels.  Nice condition bike that. :good:

Thanks, didn't know of GN Moto  :good:

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:51 pm

Thanks fellas. I haven't been able to see the bike yet (apart from photos) due to a police lockdown on the premises following a break in and bike/tools stolen. Hope to get to see it soon. The wire trapping scenario sounds possible. My first thoughts were heated grips but it doesn't have any! Can someone else with a M 2a have a look at the left side of the radiator and see if there is an earth wire around 1/3 way down with an eyelet and screw into the radiator:huh: The wiring on that cable has melted off. Ta

Yep, it does have wanna them.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:09 pm

Thanks, didn't know of GN Moto  :good:

How did the viewing go Alan ?

#10 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:41 pm

Got there today. More damage than visualised - under the tank was a mess (post up pics shortly). No obvious cause - even the right plug lead was melted.

Decided against it at that price. They'll probably break it - would be a good engine for somebody

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:10 pm

Got there today. More damage than visualised - under the tank was a mess (post up pics shortly). No obvious cause - even the right plug lead was melted.

Decided against it at that price. They'll probably break it - would be a good engine for somebody

I found what i think might be an 850 wiring harness, and a right side panel in my garage today....possibly also have the left panel too, if it helps ?

#12 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:49 pm

If the fire damage was localised and hadn't fried cables throughout the harness it was probably a flame fire rather than electrical.....petrol leak gathering and then igniting or an ongoing oil leak doing the same.....electrical damage is normally restricted to the harness without a fire...

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:34 am

If the fire damage was localised and hadn't fried cables throughout the harness it was probably a flame fire rather than electrical.....petrol leak gathering and then igniting or an ongoing oil leak doing the same.....electrical damage is normally restricted to the harness without a fire...

I was thinking along the same lines

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:19 pm

Yep, I'm with you re. the possibility of fuel causing the fire or a wiring burn out. There is plenty of burned plastic which would suggest burning from the outside but also some wires which look like they have heated internally and melted the plastic. On top of that there's the cables and ancillaries melted too. 

There is a loom and CDI to go with it Fixit - thanks. There is no sign of any fairing panels. 

All in all, I think it's too expensive - plus it's a registered insurance write off category.

Attached Files

#15 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:36 pm

Yep, I'm with you re. the possibility of fuel causing the fire or a wiring burn out. There is plenty of burned plastic which would suggest burning from the outside but also some wires which look like they have heated internally and melted the plastic. On top of that there's the cables and ancillaries melted too. 

There is a loom and CDI to go with it Fixit - thanks. There is no sign of any fairing panels. 

All in all, I think it's too expensive - plus it's a registered insurance write off category.

Have you still got the SZR dandy ? My sweetie pie had one in 97.....she wasn't too keen on it but I loved it....handled really well and deceptively quick through twisties...

#16 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:04 pm

Sold it earlier this year - great wee bike. I gave it an outing at Knockhill - a heady 42 bhp at the wheel was somewhat lacking up the hill but the downhill bits were good  :)  It took the guy on the 1290 thing about 4 minutes to get his tyres warmed up! Shame about the fairing vibrations not quite synching with the camera frame rate  :lol:

Edited by dandywarhol, 15 December 2018 - 05:07 pm.

#17 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:37 pm

:clapping: Excellent stuff Alan, ironic that it was the Michelin "Power" track day and you showed the bigger bikes a clean pair of heels!!!! I've never ridden Knockhill, it looks a hairy circuit with those blind bends. You don't realise just how restricted the view is over the rises when you watch the racing on TV.  

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:20 pm

That yellow text on yer visor must a beed real distracting.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:55 am

Seen a few fires on cars, looks like fuel started it to me. Once a few wires lose their insulation the looms goes too, along with other leech items.

Shame as it looks worth saving.

Edited by Catteeclan, 16 December 2018 - 09:55 am.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:40 pm

That yellow text on yer visor must a beed real distracting.

Haaaaa - timeless!

It's a tricky wee track Chris - I took out a friend's Gen2 Tuono in the afternoon and suddenly the track became smaller! dunno how the BSB bhoys can crack on for 20 odd laps - no time to draw a breath.

It would be a good project catteeclan but bit of an unknown, especially as it can't be heard running (big ends and all that). The dark side of me wonders if the engine is clattering and someone gave it a torching.................... cynical? moi?

Edited by dandywarhol, 16 December 2018 - 03:49 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users