29 replies to this topic

#1 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:03 pm

Hello two-tired people.

So I had my tdm 850 mk1 for almost a year now and rode about 200 miles in total as had nothing but problems and black hole for cash. I seek help in this forum, which was super helpful, but all I can see here in posts are problems. No one is posting how great their bikes are. So the question is:
How reliable are these bikes? I'm sure there's plenty of you who owned these for years and could share their experience honestly.

#2 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:04 pm

Hello two-tired people.

So I had my tdm 850 mk1 for almost a year now and rode about 200 miles in total as had nothing but problems and black hole for cash. I seek help in this forum, which was super helpful, but all I can see here in posts are problems. No one is posting how great their bikes are. So the question is:
How reliable are these bikes? I'm sure there's plenty of you who owned these for years and could share their experience honestly.

#3 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:14 pm

Welcome,

All bikes have problems over time to be fair and most people will post asking for help when these occur. A good thing to look at is how long folk hold on to them for and the mileage they go on to. Can't speak to the 850 but the 900 has very few mechanical problems, using next to no oil and lasts forever (relatively) if maintained properly. I commute all year round on mine in Scotland and also go off around the Highlands and Islands pretty often. It hasn't let me down yet and has had less issues than any of my other bikes.

Key thing I think is maintenance. If it's been looked after then it's a lot easier going forward. If you bought one that's not been maintained, thrashed within an inch if it's life, then, like any other bike, it's expensive to sort.

Hope that helps

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:20 pm

Reliability is (usually) dependant upon maintenance. If a TDM (mine's a 900) is maintained in accordance with the maker's schedule then it should be ultra reliable and give a great performance.

IMHO.

Riggers. 

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:02 pm

People turn to the forum when they have problems, so see a lot more issues here than any one owner could expect.

I had a Mk1 for years.  Reg/Rec failed and fried my battery, I had the loose sprocket nut issue, replaced the emulsion tubes, and I did a top end overhaul to reduce the oil consumption.  I sold the bike when 3rd gear started jumping out under load, but 2 owners later it's still going strong and the current owners not even bothered about fixing the 3rd gear problem.

I think I'm 6 or 7 years in to 900 ownership and don't think I've done anything other than servicing items.

A mk 1 is going be at least 24 years old now, and a 30 year old design.  I'd be be interesting to compare them other bikes of the era, I reckon they do pretty well on reliability...especially compare to my wife's 1995 Diversion, I still haven't figured out why the bastard thing won't start.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:45 pm

Hello two-tired people.

I have had 5 TDMs - 1 850 and 4 niners. The 900 has to be the most reliable bike ever. My first one suffered a stator failure at 35000 miles, which was a simple fix and the only other breakdown I've had was when my 03 wouldn't start late one night. I had recently replaced the battery but it turned out to be an earthing issue, again an easy fix. I change the oil and filters regularly and grease the bottom suspension bushes once a year.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#7 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:45 pm

Had my Niner just shy of 14 years and 53k miles. It's let me down three times. 1st was flat battery due to heated grips being left on (my fault). 2nd time was felt battery due to being knackered (wear and tear) and I got a puncture once (not really bikes or my fault). And that's exactly why I still own it. I'm happy enough to throw luggage on it, check tyre pressures and head off to Europe for a tour without any fear of it breaking down. Apart from regular servicing, I've not had to change much either. Rear stop light bulb in 2012 (Germany trip), chain and sprockets twice (recently done), one fork oil seal and a couple of headlamp bulbs. Other than that, recall on TPS and changed a noisy cam chain tensioner at about 24k miles.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#8 Pjkr44

Pjkr44

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:00 pm

Glad to read the positive feedback. I am so fed up with my old 850 that I am close to putting it on eBay for parts, but I guess I can put just a bit more effort into it.
Thanks all!

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:38 pm

Had a MK1, two 850's, and now have two. 900's

I feel the build quality is above average (for each era) ...and some weird issues such as corroded wiring affect all bikes.

As said already, maintenance checks are the best investment, as with any bike, catching problems early isn't always possible but is always beneficial.

I also find that once you've fixed a problem it tends to stay fixed.

I bought one of my 900's with 92000 miles, replaced stator and shock bushes then and recently at 105000. Miles rebuilt the forks. Bearings seem to be specified on the generous size ( some bikes use wheel bearings a little too small) ....Ibumped into another 900 owner, heavily into custom bikes who told me he bought a 900. Because he just wanted a bike which he could jump on and use.

Maybe yours had a succession of negligent owners and the task to fix it right has become yours....it happens sometimes

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:54 pm

Got my 2008 900 when it was 2 years old. The clutch cable broke and I replaces the battery. It hadn't failed at that time but starting was a bit laboured so replaced it. Other than that, 30000 miles and all fun. I maintain as per the book (give or take a few hundred miles). 

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:56 pm

I have 70'000+km's on my 850. It's toured and rides more gravel than tar seal. Apart from battery, puncture and mulching tubes it runs like a Swiss watch. It gets an annual check over and I change oil and filters religiously.

How it manages to stay so reliable getting hammered over corrugated, dusty, rock infested roads is beyond me.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:03 pm

Got my 2008 900 when it was 2 years old. The clutch cable broke and I replaces the battery. It hadn't failed at that time but starting was a bit laboured so replaced it. Other than that, 30000 miles and all fun. I maintain as per the book (give or take a few hundred miles).

The clutch cable broke! Never heard of that happening before!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:07 pm

The clutch cable broke! Never heard of that happening before!

Yeh riding home from work filtering in heavy traffic, no spare.  I felt the cable going longer then nothing. Broke when in gear. Had the option to leave the bike in a dodgy area or coax the misses into towing me home, which she did bless her. Talk about brown underpants. Being towed with the rope tied on the yolk was super scary for me and SWMBO. I now carry TWO spare cables. A "mate" I knew who has a bike trailer I rang first told me he was going out so couldn't help  and after he got me up in the middle of the night to tow him and his car to a garage. Never again fecking miserable bassad. Sorry I digress. Don't know why it failed, I kept on top with light oil to stop seizing so no idea why it snapped.

#14 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:54 pm

Being towed on a bike........ Ugh.

I have a nasty habit of submerging my dirt bikes, must be infected with that Kiwi "she'll be right" attitude.

To tow we wrap the rope just once round the bar centre and you hold it at the clutch grip. If you get the wibbly wobblys just release and your free wheeling. 

You can do the same on a foot rest and hold it in place with your foot. Strangely enough.

Stains may still occur but the quick release generally saves any solids popping out.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:23 am

The main problem my TDM had was me on occasion and even I wasn't a match. Change oil and filter every year, weather proof the CSM, grease the bits Carpe says grease, super insulate the HT leads, and you won't have a more reliable bike. Did 12 long tours and it never let me down once. At a loss with what I can replace mine with tbh.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:18 pm

The main problem my TDM had was me on occasion and even I wasn't a match. Change oil and filter every year, weather proof the CSM, grease the bits Carpe says grease, super insulate the HT leads, and you won't have a more reliable bike. Did 12 long tours and it never let me down once. At a loss with what I can replace mine with tbh.

I've got Len's (muddy)  old 900 he's talking about above in my garage, it hasn't run since I brought it here couple of months ago, all the front plastics, lights and trim are off, tank is up in the service position. Yesterday i did my monthly winter battery check, put the key in and it fired up first time. (2004 with 60k miles) . It's going to get a full service and freshen up, then some tidier bodywork, and coated wheels.

#17 TDM911

TDM911

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:40 pm

My 4TX is a 1999 release. There are 115,000 km in km / h (of which 40,000 km I went with it) I can say boldly that it is a very good, reliable motorbike. I myself love, but I only had to replace wear parts (brake pads, brake discs, sprockets, chains, bearings, oil, etc.) The factory seat was very uncomfortable, it was transformed into a gel pad. I also made a middle-stand, roller-hood. I installed additional lamps because the factory lighting is weak. I've been to 11 countries so far, and this year I have an Albania plan ...

My 4TX is a 1999 release. There are 115,000 km in km / h (of which 40,000 km I went with it) I can say boldly that it is a very good, reliable motorbike. I myself love, but I only had to replace wear parts (brake pads, brake discs, sprockets, chains, bearings, oil, etc.) The factory seat was very uncomfortable, it was transformed into a gel pad. I also made a middle-stand, roller-hood. I installed additional lamps because the factory lighting is weak. I've been to 11 countries so far, and this year I have an Albania plan ...

Attached Files

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:42 am

This 900 didn't restart straight away, but it is good to see them in service still. https://video.fman2-...05a&oe=5C455162

#19 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:38 am

Link no workie

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:41 am

Link no workie

Interesting that that particular link was taken down...I've found it on Youtube

Edited by fixitsan, 21 January 2019 - 08:42 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users