muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:36 am

Interesting that that particular link was taken down...I've found it on Youtube

I've been watching this closely as the backlash against globalism has been brewing in Europe for the past couple of years. Interesting times. As supportive of the gilets jaunes as I am, attacking those TDMs was beyond the pale😱

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#22 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:52 am

Glad to read the positive feedback. I am so fed up with my old 850 that I am close to putting it on eBay for parts, but I guess I can put just a bit more effort into it.
Thanks all!

The thing you have to accept is you have one of the oldest TDM's, and any vehicle over a certain age will have a hidden history and there's always an element of luck if you get a peach or a lemon.

If you look in the wanted/for sale section there's often TDM's hitting close (if not over) 100k miles and going strong, which is pretty rare on most bike forums.  The nature of TDM's means they get a generally hard life, with owners being the sort that ride them all year round and tour long distances, rather than a cossetted sports bike that only sees 500 dry miles a year.  My niner is around 80k miles and it's led a tough commuter life from new but the engine still pulls strong with no oil burning.

Just had the original shock replaced (not bad going for that mileage) and it's cosmetically 'challenged' ;) but it's still a very solid bike - basically I'd have another in a heartbeat and keep considering buying a second anyway.

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:02 am

I've been watching this closely as the backlash against globalism has been brewing in Europe for the past couple of years. Interesting times. As supportive of the gilets jaunes as I am, attacking those TDMs was beyond the pale

I fully agree !  TDM's are not their problem :)

They need to be careful too, because the Lisbon Treaty states that.....

(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:

“Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:

(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;
(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully
detained;

© in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#24 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:21 am

In that video he doesn't draw a 'gun', it's a spray - if you pause it at around 21 seconds you can see it's got a canister attached and you can even see the spray being fired at the rioters.

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:29 am

In that video he doesn't draw a 'gun', it's a spray - if you pause it at around 21 seconds you can see it's got a canister attached and you can even see the spray being fired at the rioters.

I thought exactly the same, but at 40 seconds the officer to the left appears to draw a sidearm, before being obscured by the advertising sign

#26 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:06 am

I fully agree !  TDM's are not their problem :)

They need to be careful too, because the Lisbon Treaty states that.....

(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:
Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:
(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;
(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully
detained;
© in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection.

Oh mate, there're so many clauses they have stitched into the reams of burocrat-speak totalitarian bs. Maybe another time, don't want to completely derail the thread and political stuff isn't really Carpe friendly. But I feel yer😉

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#27 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:35 am

Oh mate, there're so many clauses they have stitched into the reams of burocrat-speak totalitarian bs. Maybe another time, don't want to completely derail the thread and political stuff isn't really Carpe friendly. But I feel yer

I agree, and I apologise if anyone is unhappy about this chat. Normal service resumed :)

#28 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:38 am

I thought exactly the same, but at 40 seconds the officer to the left appears to draw a sidearm, before being obscured by the advertising sign

Ah I missed that bit - watching again and yeah, it does look like he's pulled out the real deal.

#29 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:14 pm

The only thing worth watching in this video is the way the policeman makes a half-turn of the bike using the side-stand as a pivot.

For those who may wonder why the crowd looks so aggressive, that's because during the moments before the start of this video, the policemen were throwing grenades for no reason to the people while they were marching but not toward their direction, as another video proved it lately.

This was not the best thing to do at that moment, but they were following orders which appeared not to be fully appropriate.  ;)

And yes, the TDM900 is a very reliable bike, only issues I got since 2002 were :

- TPS.

- camchain tensionner.

- fork seal.

No CSM, no ht leads, no cable rupture, no need for changing valve pads, nothing else.

Btw I did never lubricate any cable, as the reseller told me not to do it due to teflon coating.

All other issues were my fault or normal wear :

- injector clogging due to bad fuel.

- oem battery replacement after 7 years.

- one H7 gone one moth ago.

80.000km and still on the oem chain kit, oem rear shock, second set of break pads but numerous tyres.

Nice bike !  :)

Edited by JBX, 21 January 2019 - 12:35 pm.

top_640.png

#30 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:05 am

The only thing worth watching in this video is the way the policeman makes a half-turn of the bike using the side-stand as a pivot.

I thought that was bloody Impressive ! 

99 850 here, In 8 years I've had:

Coils earthing to frame (not the leads)

Airbox Rubbers gone hard so wont seal on top of carbs (replaced with silicone hose and new jubilee clips)

Everything else has been maintenance/wear and tear or damage. 

When I first got the bike and was using it daily for work, diagnosing the issue with the coils was a pain in the arse and I just wanted my old reliable bike back. 

Unfortunately that wasn't possible, so I stuck with the TDM and 8 years later its still going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users