#1 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:28 am

I'm certain this will have been posted eons ago but it's new to me. Hopefully new to some other Carpedians.

500'000km's the bike lasted. :badgerrock:

https://new.horizons...uk-nz-2003-2005

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:32 am

Very cool boike and trip. Parky ain't been on ear for a while. The bike finally retired I seem to remember.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:55 am

Very cool boike and trip. Parky ain't been on ear for a while. The bike finally retired I seem to remember.

he was on about trying to source some parts to do a rebuild as he posted on here last year i tink.  They ended up in Toyland after NZ by the sounds of it.   Oil dig up he's last post. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:26 am

he was on about trying to source some parts to do a rebuild as he posted on here last year i tink.  They ended up in Toyland after NZ by the sounds of it.   Oil dig up he's last post. 

yep it's parked up in a shed in NZ.  http://www.carpe-tdm...774#entry370377

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#5 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:28 pm

I met Richard & Lisa at an early Horizons Unlimited do out the back of a pub in Ripley. This was before their return to NZ - must’ve been 2002 I guess. Sound folk.

I was on my first (red) Mk1, were the only two TDMers there  :badgerrock:

5501415521_e7c8695760.jpg

Yep, 2002...

49796827193_2e6c6d9d21_c.jpg

That’s everyone! A far cry from the massive event it’s become in the intervening years. Happy days  :)

Edited by Jim, 20 April 2020 - 12:44 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:18 pm

I believe this is their bike just after the top suspension pillar snapped. No prizes for guessing why it snapped.

gallery_2809_130_122983.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:24 pm

What a pic!

Is the kitchen sink between the rucksacks?

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:27 am

I believe this is their bike just after the top suspension pillar snapped. No prizes for guessing why it snapped.

yep i'd have a bit more weld and bracing on the top shock mount if i was carrying silly weight even though it's a rare occurrence for failure.

I met Richard & Lisa at an early Horizons Unlimited do out the back of a pub in Ripley. This was before their return to NZ - must’ve been 2002 I guess. Sound folk.

I was on my first (red) Mk1, were the only two TDMers there  :badgerrock:

5501415521_e7c8695760.jpg

Yep, 2002...

49796827193_2e6c6d9d21_c.jpg

That’s everyone! A far cry from the massive event it’s become in the intervening years. Happy days  :)

Jim tell us some more please,  have you had many TDM's over the years and do u stihl have the MK1?  I have lost count on the number of 3VD's i have seen over the years sporting those Micron 2-1 systems, they must have sold well world wide.

#9 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:13 pm

Actually there’s an interesting (to me) story behind that Micron exhaust which I’ll make longer than absolutely necessary! (just blame  COVID and brace yourselves!)

I bought that Mk1 (my first) in 2000 from the one and only garage (cars and vans) in the place I lived in at the time. Riggers will know it, a very small village on the Yorkshire Wolds called Wetwang (yes, really). At the time, in the village, there were two pubs, a very small ‘corner shop’, a furniture maker and this garage - oh, and a chip shop which was a regular stop-off for bikers. As I said, it was/is a very small place. Look it up on Google street view  ;) 

The bike was completely standard including the exhaust which was a bit rotten. I had to braze the headers and repair the collector box inlet which I was able to do in the superb workshops at work. As usual, I was always scanning small ads (remember those!) and that new-fangled eBay thingy for parts for my bikes, when I spotted the Micron, a set of carbs and some useful odds and ends for sale in Northolt, W. London. It’s a long way from Wetwang (sounds like there’s a bawdy song in there somewhere  :lol: )

At the time I taught at a top educational establishment in Hull ;)  and every year we used to take our students to the D&AD show in London to exhibit their work. Karma decreed that the stars aligned so I could go to the show and pick up the parts when I was there. The deal was done over the phone. I was driving the van, so once we’d off-loaded the work and checked into the hotel, I drove west for an hour, out to Northolt to get the goodies. I took my pal/colleague Harry as navigator, no SatNav or mobile phone then of course.

When we arrived it was obvious that there was a family gathering in full swing, it felt a bit awkward being there to be honest.

Well, we put the bits in the van and I handed over the cash, had a bit of a natter, etc. Then the chap invited us in for a cuppa to ‘meet the family’. We were introduced to everyone until it came to this guy’s Mum who said...

“where are you from, I seem to recognise the area code of your phone number”.

“A place near Driffield, in Yorkshire” says I.
“Where near Driffield.”
“Oh a small village called Wetwang, not many people have heard of it”

“I thought so! I used to live there! I only moved here two years ago to be with my son and family. Do you have an allotment?” 

“Er, Yes”

“Hmmmn, I thought I recognised the name. Didn’t I have to write to you to tell you to clear it up a bit?” 

“Er, yes, but the old carpets were there to suppress the weeds, honest!...”

etc. etc.

What a bloody coincidence! Meeting someone from Wetwang in Northolt and buying TDM parts off her son! Anyway, the conversation went on and on and we ended up joining them for a slap-up feed and spending the rest of the evening with them! 

I’ve had two Mk1s. That one, which I sold in 2004 and a more recent one I bought from Reverend3VD which Cliff now has. I do love my 9er, but nothing beats the looks of the Mk1 IMO. 

Edited by Jim, 22 April 2020 - 03:22 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#10 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:19 pm

I think it was as much to do with the terrain they were riding through as the load. I took it for a spin, it had a lovely smooth motor compared to mine (which probably needed the carbs balancing)

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:07 pm

Cool story. :good:  I've also heard of Wetwang. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:18 pm

I always had a wee chuckle riding through Wetwang back in the day.

#13 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:34 pm

When knew we were moving over the East Yorkshire we had an exploratory trip to look for places to live. We drove through Wetwang, chuckled and said to each other “well, we’re not living here!”. Five years later, that’s where we ended up! Lived there for fifteen years, loved the place and soon learned that it’s real name is Wetwang, Yes Really.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:04 pm

what a tale that was! i wonder if she employed the axminster technique on her new garden or allotment in Northolt!  we line our homemade compost bins (pallets are useful) with carpet as it keeps in the heat and accelerates the composting process. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users